• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Middle Schooler

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
But does the parent even have a say, or is it up to the school?

I'm asking, not arguing; this is not my area of expertise.

I have been to numerous conferences with the "team" of teachers, and its always the same thing. He's add and cannot focus. We have tried him on all of the different medications and he devleops nervous tics on each one, so I have pulled him off of them. He is not disruptive in class, just cannot focus. At the last meeting we were starting to try the last resort medicine and sure enough he developed a tic within a month.

Trying to look at it objectively, I am going to have to request a 504 for him. The one teacher had suggested it at the last meeting but with the trouble I had with IEP's with my oldest son I was completely against it. Now with the inability to keep him on medications I think it is probably going to be the only way to go.

Can someone explain to me how 504 plans work?

I'mTheFather

I have been to numerous conferences with the "team" of teachers, and its always the same thing. He's add and cannot focus. We have tried him on all of the different medications and he devleops nervous tics on each one, so I have pulled him off of them. He is not disruptive in class, just cannot focus. At the last meeting we were starting to try the last resort medicine and sure enough he developed a tic within a month.

Trying to look at it objectively, I am going to have to request a 504 for him. The one teacher had suggested it at the last meeting but with the trouble I had with IEP's with my oldest son I was completely against it. Now with the inability to keep him on medications I think it is probably going to be the only way to go.

Can someone explain to me how 504 plans work?
If your son is only struggling in math, it's possible he has a learning disability. That should be ruled out.

To learn about 504 plans, check this out:

http://www.wrightslaw.com/info/sec504.index.htm
http://www.wrightslaw.com/info/sec504.idea.eligibility.htm

Bookmark the site. It's an invaluable resource for anyone whose child has a disability.

As far as retention, your district probably has some sort of appeal process if you don't agree with the teachers and administrators. Find out what that is.

Also, one consideration with retaining him is whether or not he needs the additional year of instruction in all his other subjects. If he's not struggling in the others, then repeating the same curriculum a second time may not be in his best interests.

Last edited:
I finally got a hold of someone at the district office who could help me. If math is the only thing holding him back from passing he can do summer school and get the grade up so he can pass the class. Why didn't they tell me this in the begining? Oh well. Unforunately it will cut into his summer with his dad, but thankfully his dad supports my stance on how important education is. The good thing is whether it takes him 3 days or 5 weeks to pass the class is entirely up to him. He wants to go see his dad so th motivation should be there to get it done and not play around.
I am hoping that I can use this in the future to motivate him to ask for help if he needs it and how important it is to try hard in school.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I finally got a hold of someone at the district office who could help me. If math is the only thing holding him back from passing he can do summer school and get the grade up so he can pass the class. Why didn't they tell me this in the begining? Oh well. Unforunately it will cut into his summer with his dad, but thankfully his dad supports my stance on how important education is. The good thing is whether it takes him 3 days or 5 weeks to pass the class is entirely up to him. He wants to go see his dad so th motivation should be there to get it done and not play around.
I am hoping that I can use this in the future to motivate him to ask for help if he needs it and how important it is to try hard in school.
Use what in the future to motivate him? Summer school? Not seeing his father? You are lucky that dad supports summer school because if he didn't, junior wouldn't be going.

Use what in the future to motivate him? Summer school? Not seeing his father? You are lucky that dad supports summer school because if he didn't, junior wouldn't be going.
Summer school to motivate him. Not all custodial mothers are out to keep their kids from their fathers, I am the one who moved 2000 miles away from where the kids were born and away from a good paying job so the kids could be closer to their military dad. Their father is in it for the good of the child, one of the other children want to try out for their high school soccer team. Tryouts are 4 weeks before school starts, does dad say, "no that's my time!", no he says "if that's what she wants to do then she should go for it".

OHRoadwarrior

The important part is that his parents support him and attempt to teach him the concepts he is lacking, so he can continue to pass his math classes in the future.

YIPPEEE, solution!

He can do an online class to make up the credits, so he can go to his dad's for the summer and pass math class. Sure I will have to pay a fee but he gets to go and is happy.

Another Question

Still Kentucky

My son who is ADD, has tried all available medications for the diagnosis and they have all caused him to develop a coughing tic which intereferes with his ability to take a deep breath. He can learn fine, does fine at home but is distracted at school. Some teachers deal fine with him and others just do not do well.
On to my question. In my past experience in California, it was my understanding that a teacher or school cannot tell you that you need to medicate your child. Is that true or did they change that law and is it the same in Kentucky?
The reason I'm asking is that he is coming home telling me that he needs to take his medications because his teachers are telling him to.

CSO286

Still Kentucky

My son who is ADD, has tried all available medications for the diagnosis and they have all caused him to develop a coughing tic which intereferes with his ability to take a deep breath. He can learn fine, does fine at home but is distracted at school. Some teachers deal fine with him and others just do not do well.
On to my question. In my past experience in California, it was my understanding that a teacher or school cannot tell you that you need to medicate your child. Is that true or did they change that law and is it the same in Kentucky?
The reason I'm asking is that he is coming home telling me that he needs to take his medications because his teachers are telling him to.
Teachers can not order medication, only doctors can.

Teachers can not order medication, only doctors can.
I know they cannot order it. But can they even say anything about it to the child if they don't think he has taken any medication? The problem is that they aren't throwing out any alternatives, does that make sense? What is happening is if he is off task at all, gets up to pick up a paper he dropped, forgets a pencil, my personal favorite; not having a belt on, or the like, he gets a demerit. 10 demerits and he gets sent to SAFE (in school detention). I am pretty sure part of the reason he is failing math can be chalked up to the fact that he isn't in the classroom at least 2 days a month.

I'mTheFather

I know they cannot order it. But can they even say anything about it to the child if they don't think he has taken any medication? The problem is that they aren't throwing out any alternatives, does that make sense? What is happening is if he is off task at all, gets up to pick up a paper he dropped, forgets a pencil, my personal favorite; not having a belt on, or the like, he gets a demerit. 10 demerits and he gets sent to SAFE (in school detention). I am pretty sure part of the reason he is failing math can be chalked up to the fact that he isn't in the classroom at least 2 days a month.
You told them at the last meeting that you were trying another medication. They're not telling him to take medication, and they're not telling you that you have to medicate him. It sounds like they're reminding him to do something that you told them you would be doing. If you haven't informed them that you've discontinued all medications, then that's on you.

They did throw out an alternative. They suggested a 504 plan. Why haven't you acted on that?????

And really, you said he can't focus at school and he's struggled with math for years, and you're going to blame the suspensions for his failure?

You told them at the last meeting that you were trying another medication. They're not telling him to take medication, and they're not telling you that you have to medicate him. It sounds like they're reminding him to do something that you told them you would be doing. If you haven't informed them that you've discontinued all medications, then that's on you.

They did throw out an alternative. They suggested a 504 plan. Why haven't you acted on that?????

And really, you said he can't focus at school and he's struggled with math for years, and you're going to blame the suspensions for his failure?
I am acting on the 504, as I am sure you know that does not start overnight...

I am not blaming the failing on suspensions, my comment was simply that how can a child learn the material being taught if he is getting in school suspension for not wearing a belt or not having a demerit signed.

Ben T

I am acting on the 504, as I am sure you know that does not start overnight...

I am not blaming the failing on suspensions, my comment was simply that how can a child learn the material being taught if he is getting in school suspension for not wearing a belt or not having a demerit signed.
Seat, or instruction time can be important. And for the school - there are worse things than not having your belt, or demerit signed. Geez. :confused: Losing instruction time is more important than forgetting a belt. Sorry, that the school can't look past stupid stuff like that.

I hope the school is able to provide some type of targeted instruction for your son soon.

BenT

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">