• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mobile home on someone else's property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Can the owner of the land that my new mobile home is on make me obey her rules

• Real estate law

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Anyone

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Jasper4

Wat is the name of your state?florida. I co own a new mobile home and I have lived on it for 4 years but the land is owned by my partners mother and my partner lives with me, we agreed to no rent on property not in writing . My partner pays all taxes on the property and all utilities are in my name, I maintained the property and all repairs myself, what rights do I have by law concerning allowing others on my property and can the mother control or demand I be removed from the home

LdiJ

Wat is the name of your state?florida. I co own a new mobile home and I have lived on it for 4 years but the land is owned by my partners mother and my partner lives with me, we agreed to no rent on property not in writing . My partner pays all taxes on the property and all utilities are in my name, I maintained the property and all repairs myself, what rights do I have by law concerning allowing others on my property and can the mother control or demand I be removed from the home
This isn't a black and white situation because there are some oddities involved. It would be better if you tell us exactly what is happening so that we can give advice based on the actual situation.

Jasper4

I co own my new mobile home with my live in partner. Her mother owns the land but we pay the property tax every year . All the utilities are in my name and I maintain and repair both mobile and land. Does the mother land owner have any say on what I can and cannot do since we have already paid and installed concrete drives and some structures to the property , the mother agreed not in writing but verbally to let us move onto the land with no rent or mortgage and can she make us move off the property. Thankyou

adjusterjack

I co own a new mobile home and I have lived on it for 4 years but the land is owned by my partners mother and my partner lives with me, we agreed to no rent on property not in writing
And you thought that was a good idea?

Sigh.

we have already paid and installed concrete drives and some structures to the property
The worse part of the bad idea.

what rights do I have by law concerning allowing others on my property
All other things being equal, you can invite anybody you want on to or in to the property you occupy. Though if your invitees are doing damage to the land owner's property, that's another story.

can she make us move off the property.
Ultimately, yes. You and your partner are tenants. Your tenancy can be terminated. It would probably require a longer notice period since it's a mobile home.

can the mother control or demand I be removed from the home
If mother convinces daughter to get a restraining order against you then, yes, you can be removed from your own home and it's likely the police or sheriff will remove you with only a few minutes notice.

Beyond that, the mother's attempts to control or demand are nothing but hot air (except for potential termination of tenancy) and you are free to ignore them.

I would hope that your partner is taking your side against the mother. If not, then your relationship is doomed and you'd better come up with an exit strategy that preserves your stake in the mobile home.

Explain how all this strife got started.

Jasper4

And you thought that was a good idea?

Sigh.

The worse part of the bad idea.

All other things being equal, you can invite anybody you want on to or in to the property you occupy. Though if your invitees are doing damage to the land owner's property, that's another story.

Ultimately, yes. You and your partner are tenants. Your tenancy can be terminated. It would probably require a longer notice period since it's a mobile home.

If mother convinces daughter to get a restraining order against you then, yes, you can be removed from your own home and it's likely the police or sheriff will remove you with only a few minutes notice.

Beyond that, the mother's attempts to control or demand are nothing but hot air (except for potential termination of tenancy) and you are free to ignore them.

I would hope that your partner is taking your side against the mother. If not, then your relationship is doomed and you'd better come up with an exit strategy that preserves your stake in the mobile home.

Explain how all this strife got started.
Actually my partners name is also on the land title because her father left it to her but mother asked daughter years ago to sign it over to her and later put daughters name on title too. So we decided it would be nice 4 years ago to buy a home together and put it on the lots she figured she co owned with mom across the street from mom so we could be close by and help in her old age mom is 83 now but very healthy and a nice lady. But now moms 2 nephews moved in down the street. Hard core drunks but mom loves them anyway so the cousins insist they can come on our property because auntie owns the land. I am always respectful to mom and help when needed but the drunks always causing a disturbance here so I told them to stay off my property and of course they went to mom and told some lies to make me look bad I am 60 yrs old and keep this home and property emaculant . So my partner and I are concerned because the drunks seem to control mom and bad mouth my partner also We have our life savings rapped up in our home it's new and completely paid for ,but the structures and concrete can't be moved So we need to take whatever steps it takes to assure we have total control of our home and investment and privacy. Thank you very much for reading and replying

justalayman

Ok, you changed the facts

If your partners name is in title for the property, she has all rights afforded an owner. She can allow you onto her property if she chooses.

Jasper4

If the arrangement was made with both you and your partner, you and she are co-tenants on her mother’s property. Since neither you nor your partner are liable for the taxes, that is de facto rent payments and creates a legal tenancy

Of course the mother can raise the rent as she desires, even if it’s only as leverage to get you to accept her rules or leave.
The mother offered and agreed verbally to no rent for land and my partner went to county clerk and filed for homestead exception since her name was on land title and we owned the home but mom has her address listed for mailing address for tax bill to be sent. We pay mom in cash for 4 years now since we. Moved in for taxes and then mom pays. And we also had the mobile home registered as a home with no axles or wheels so it's not registered and no DMV sticker or registration by DMV required and they list our home as part of the property in my partner and moms name on the county tax appraisal but not my name. Thank you for your reply

justalayman

The mother offered and agreed verbally to no rent for land and my partner went to county clerk and filed for homestead exception since her name was on land title and we owned the home but mom has her address listed for mailing address for tax bill to be sent. We pay mom in cash for 4 years now since we. Moved in for taxes and then mom pays. And we also had the mobile home registered as a home with no axles or wheels so it's not registered and no DMV sticker or registration by DMV required and they list our home as part of the property in my partner and moms name on the county tax appraisal but not my name. Thank you for your reply
If your partner is a coowner of the property, who cares what the mother offered. She has no authority to demand anything as long as her daughter allows you to have your mobile home on HER property.

Since you stated your partner is an owner as well as her mother, then both of them are equally liable for the taxes.

It was nice of you to give your home to your partner and her mother though. Since it has no title and has been attached to real property, it now becomes the property of the land owner. That was surely nice of you. I suggest you be very nice to your girl there or you could find yourself down the street without a home while she lives in it and waves as you walk by.

Jasper4

Sorry about the fact change I wasn't sure how much space I had to post or reply , the details and all facts are important for good advice , thank you again for bringing that to my attention

Jasper4

If your partner is a coowner of the property, who cares what the mother offered. She has no authority to demand anything as long as her daughter allows you to have your mobile home on HER property.

Since you stated your partner is an owner as well as her mother, then both of them are equally liable for the taxes.

It was nice of you to give your home to your partner and her mother though. Since it has no title and has been attached to real property, it now becomes the property of the land owner. That was surely nice of you. I suggest you be very nice to your girl there or you could find yourself down the street without a home while she lives in it and waves as you walk by.
Wow maybe I was misinformed or didn't word it right, we went to DMV and got a copy of. The title with both our names on it as owners , but was told since the axles and wheels had been removed we no longer had to renew the registration or get a new decal to post on our home , so does that mean that it is now part of the entire property and I no longer am considered a co owner. Was I foolish or just not informed what was happening. Thanks

justalayman

When you attach a mobile home to real property, the title is extinguished and no longer applies. It becomes part of the real property.

If both you and your girls names were on the mobile home title prior to converting it to an improvement on real property, you are in a pickle should you and your girl split up. As an owner by virtue of thst title as well as being an owner of the real property it is now attached to, she pretty much has control of the home and property. She may owe you money if she refused to allow you to remove the home (in the situation where you have been ejected from the property) but as it stands, she could simply tell you to get off her land and there isn’t much you could do about it.

Read the statute at this link

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=0300-0399/0319/Sections/0319.261.html

Jasper4

When you attach a mobile home to real property, the title is extinguished and no longer applies. It becomes part of the real property.

If both you and your girls names were on the mobile home title prior to converting it to an improvement on real property, you are in a pickle should you and your girl split up. As an owner by virtue of thst title as well as being an owner of the real property it is now attached to, she pretty much has control of the home and property. She may owe you money if she refused to allow you to remove the home (in the situation where you have been ejected from the property) but as it stands, she could simply tell you to get off her land and there isn’t much you could do about it.

Read the statute at this link

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=0300-0399/0319/Sections/0319.261.html
Wow was I stupid , I thought I was sorta smart , I put a lot of my retirement savings in cash to make sure I had a home paid for and rent free to enjoy my old age and be secure fortunately my partner and I get along well but , that leaves me with fear. That if she passes before me her greedy kids will take my home if mom doesn't first. Thanks. I'm really stressed now I guess the truth and facts hurt sometimes.

justalayman

Wow was I stupid , I thought I was sorta smart , I put a lot of my retirement savings in cash to make sure I had a home paid for and rent free to enjoy my old age and be secure fortunately my partner and I get along well but , that leaves me with fear. That if she passes before me her greedy kids will take my home if mom doesn't first. Thanks. I'm really stressed now I guess the truth and facts hurt sometimes.
Im sorry to cause you such stress. It surely wasn’t my intent.

But since you get along well with the partner now, maybe a will where you inherit her share of the property or something else thst assures you access to your home during your life might be a good topic for discussion soon.

Jasper4

Please except my thanks for the information . You didn't cause me stress , my own lack of knowledge and research before making a important life decision , is what's stressing me and being helpless to do anything, because mom won't put the land valued at around 5000 dollars totally in her daughters name and the home is valued around 80 thousand dollars in her name so we could put my name and make this a legitimate deal. I guess old mom was well informed since she was the one who suggested we go get a homestead exemption . Yep nothing like moms who know real estate law and don't share it with a retired old man with his life savings gone. Oh well just hope I pass away before my partner does At least I don't have to worry about where I'm gonna live. Lol. Thanks again. And yes sounds like a good discussion for other seniors to be aware of informed . How does the voting work on here can I vote for you as helpful

justalayman

Don’t lose all hope

Any possibility of moving the home to property you own or willing to purchase?

It may take a bit of a fight but if you paid for the home it would be inequitable for the mother to benefit from the issue as it has transpired. A retired title can be reconstituted.

I would suggest sitting down with an attorney. They may be able to chart a path to undoing what you’ve done.

There is no real voting. You can like a post but that’s all the rewards we receive. The folks here do it for the enjoyment of helping others and in my case, for personal edification as well.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">