• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mom and 7 month baby stuck with dirt syringe

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state?wv my family was eating at McDonald’s and went to change my baby. I put baby on changing table and reach in the wipe bend to get wipes when 4 used needles stuck hand. I jerked my hand back and a syringe came out an stuck my child in eye area. Anyway my last blood test from my doctor was 90 days ago and every thing was good. A day after the injury I got tested and my doctor said I’ve been exposed to hep c. Also I’m 7 weeks pregnant. Any advice how to handle this myself. So far the adjuster is very nice. What to do?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I would seriously suggest a consultation with an attorney - particularly since your child was also stuck.

quincy

It is not surprising that McDonald's is concerned. There should not be used syringes in their restrooms.

I agree with Zigner that you should speak to a personal injury lawyer in your area for a personal review of the facts. I recommend you speak to an attorney before discussing this any further with McDonald's.

The initial consultation with a personal injury attorney is often/generally free.

Well I live in Huntington Wv so that’s why the needles was in the store. The manager said it’s everyday that someone is caught using drugs or overdose in there restroom. There are 3 victims now. I do want to be fair with McDonald’s and I want them to do the same with me. I got news stations wanting interviews and also the today show emails 4 to 6 Times aday and calls my phone. What would be a fair settlement if I don’t want to get mixed up with lawyer?

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
Well I live in Huntington Wv so that’s why the needles was in the store. The manager said it’s everyday that someone is caught using drugs or overdose in there restroom. There are 3 victims now. I do want to be fair with McDonald’s and I want them to do the same with me. I got news stations wanting interviews and also the today show emails 4 to 6 Times aday and calls my phone. What would be a fair settlement if I don’t want to get mixed up with lawyer?
I say this kindly -- I don't know if you are truly prepared to go at this without an attorney.

quincy

Interesting. How did the media learn oI your injury?

You don't want to get mixed up with a lawyer but you don't mind getting mixed up with the media? I think a lawyer will be far more helpful to you.

"Fair" is what you believe is fair. An attorney would look at your current medical expenses and potential medical expenses in your future to start.

Good luck.

Just Blue

What is the name of your state?wv my family was eating at McDonald’s and went to change my baby. I put baby on changing table and reach in the wipe bend to get wipes when 4 used needles stuck hand. I jerked my hand back and a syringe came out an stuck my child in eye area. Anyway my last blood test from my doctor was 90 days ago and every thing was good. A day after the injury I got tested and my doctor said I’ve been exposed to hep c. Also I’m 7 weeks pregnant. Any advice how to handle this myself. So far the adjuster is very nice. What to do?
What is a wipe bend?

Just Blue

MJ...What happened after you left the bathroom with baby? Did you call the police? Where are the needles? Who has them?

justalayman

most McDonalds stores are franchises so getting to McDonald’s itself may require the aid of a lawyer. Even then you still may not be able to pick McDonald’s pockets and are relegated to the franchise owner and their insurance.

McDonald’s used to be very resisitant to paying anything for when they were liable (e.g. Stella Liebeck and the hot coffee debacle) and were even more resistant when they could deny liability.

Unless things have changed drastically, the niceness you experience now may simply be to placate you with the hope you will demand little of nothing if they’re nice to you.

. I do want to be fair with McDonald’s and I want them to do the same with me.
Well, to win in court you must prove negligence. Proving that particular McDonald’s negligence was the underlying cause of your injury may be difficult. Their idea of fair might be you walk away with nothing.

Just to toss out a cost of treatment you may want to know;

There is a treatment for hep c now: Harvoni

Cost of treatment; $96,000

quincy

I have only seen changing table liners. We've always used our own wipes, though, so I might not have noticed.

A 5 year old was pricked by a used needle on the floor near a McDonald's trash can in West Virginia in January - in Charleston not Huntington, though.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">