• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

move during dui case in ny?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree he should meet and discuss this personally with his attorney.

Here is a link from New York's DMV on the penalties for felony DUI:
https://dmv.ny.gov/org/tickets/penalties-alcohol-or-drug-related-violations
im trying to but I cant even get in contact with him. im thinking of visiting the city and trying to move there and just keep calling and checking up on what I need to do to move it while im in the process of moving. if anything couldn't I just move to the city anyways and just report back for probation whenever im supposed to?

quincy

im trying to but I cant even get in contact with him. im thinking of visiting the city and trying to move there and just keep calling and checking up on what I need to do to move it while im in the process of moving. if anything couldn't I just move to the city anyways and just report back for probation whenever im supposed to?
No.

Contact your attorney and your probation officer before moving or face revocation of your probation.
ive decided to completely ignore my lawyer and tell him im leaving regardless. im going to tell him im moving whether or not he likes it and I know there's nothing saying I cant. im telling him that he can either help me or ill come get back the rest of my retainer fee and ill find a lawyer who will. simple as that.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
ive decided to completely ignore my lawyer and tell him im leaving regardless. im going to tell him im moving whether or not he likes it and I know there's nothing saying I cant. im telling him that he can either help me or ill come get back the rest of my retainer fee and ill find a lawyer who will. simple as that.
Once you come back to the state to attempt to sue the attorney for the retainer, expect to be arrested.

quincy

Here is a link to the standard conditions of probation, Eastern District of New York:

http://www.nyep.uscourts.gov/html/conditions_of_probation.html

The defendant "shall not leave the judicial district without the permission of the court or the probation officer."

"Shall not" is an order not a suggestion.

It appears your attorney worked to get you a plea that keeps you out of jail until your sentencing on your felony charge. The probation you were granted can be revoked if you violate ANY of its terms.

You are already looking at jail/prison time. It is a mistake for you to ignore the terms of your probation because the court will likely not look on you favorably if you do. The judge is more likely to sentence you to the maximum allowed.

Please rethink your plans to move without authorization. You are already concerned about "screwing up" your life. An unauthorized move is one way to screw it up more. Your new residence could be in a new city if you follow through with your plans but your new accommodations might include bars.

Good luck.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
can I just tell my lawyer over the phone I need to move and keep bugging him about it and ask the court im with too and ask them about updating my address. im getting like no help from my lawyer and apparently he's too busy with a trial to even meet up or do anything. do I just keep harassing them to let me move? I mean im paying him and i've gotten like nothing except a plea deal and haven't met up with him once since.
No.

The lawyer does not have the authority to authorize your move.

Have you spoken with your PO?

I suspect that the reason that the lawyer hasn't suggested a way for you to get a move approved is because there's no [good] reason for you to move, and you're as charming with him as you have been here. Meaning that you are not charming, and not worth leaning backwards for, no matter what his hourly rate is.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">