• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Multiple Questions about division of real-estate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

justalayman

Do you think I owe him 1/6 of the appreciation of the total property because the deed makes the property 1/3 mine? Or do you think I owe him 1/2 of the appreciation of the total property because my income paid the mortgage? I wish I could put a poll on this site.
Did you actually mean the numbers you just wrote?

I believe you owe him 1/6 of the total appreciation accrued during the marriage because you are a 1/3 owner and marital funds were used to pay for the mortgage

So it’s a both rather than one or the other.

You turned what was separate property into community property by using community funds to pay for it.

MarcyS

Did you actually mean the numbers you just wrote?

I believe you owe him 1/6 of the total appreciation accrued during the marriage because you are a 1/3 owner and marital funds were used to pay for the mortgage

So it’s a both rather than one or the other.

You turned what was separate property into community property by using community funds to pay for it.
So I did not turn my parents' shares into community property by paying the mortgage with community funds (my personal income)?

HRZ

I don't necessarily agree with the math ..largely because the value of a minority interest may far from its fractional math calculatIon ...especially if it cannot readily be sold .....but as a practical matter...it may be more productive to pick an number and barter than to have two teams of experts opining at $ XXX per hour how to value it ..and a dart board might be more cost effective .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">