• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My CIVIL RIGHTS are being violated!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does the property manager have the right to say or determine my disability so easily??
JUST BECAUSE YOU HAD A BROKEN LEG DOES'NT MEAN YOU ARE DISABLED?
That is the REAL Question that I was asking?
Yes. If he is not careful he could have problems, as you are attempting to create.

Clearly you've had advice. You've worded things to have them fit into the rules. Of course, that's just the first step. The manager is not going to have to prove you are not disabled, you are going to have to prove you are. By framing things as a broken leg, you have a problem as that is temporary. By saying the medical complications from a broken leg that is different. Your physical therapist's note will not be enough.

Also, you have the issue of if this is an accommodation at all. You were not prescribed to do this at home. If you were able to go somewhere before, you can go somewhere now. You have determined you can't because of the cost. Lack of insurance is not a disability.

Finally, your theory of it's not costing anyone anything because there isn't a waiting list seems specious at best. If so, why would the manager care? You've left that out. Is he required to care by utilization regulations? If so, your fight gets to be even harder.

Wording things right!

I am self taught, the only advice that i recieved was from Legal aid( A paralegal) She gave me a name of an attorney that REALLY didnt know Much about anything to tell you the truth, So I have done all of the research my self! I wonder what people did before the net? I guess the Law Library!
Like I said before I do think this is something personal! Between the Prop mananger and me...years ago she GOT FIRED (the whole crew did) from a company here, mind u this is a REALLY small town! Well, she found out that I replaced her!! In fact she talked about it when I saw her to rent this place! Also, there is something that I didnt think of before! I emailed a letter to her Director about all the broken down cars here and all of the garbage in yards! I guess the Director drove thru and was not PLEASED! Two days later : We all got notices on our doors SAYING that if we all didnt clean up our places she was going to start kicking people out...I dont have a yard, i have a small balcony with nothing on it. The whole thing is really fishy!!!!
So whether OR NOT my reasonable request WAS REASONABLE was NOT in question...My disability was!
Thanks

cyjeff

hi.

Where did you house your exercise equipment when your daughter lived with you?

Do you own this exercise equipment now?

I really don't ask these questions to practice my typing skills.

This would be request 3 for this information.

justalayman

Bonnie,
what is;

Making drug tests required in order to get welfare?

If it is what I believe it to be, I hope you have success.

I also wonder what a stair climber and an exercise bicycle are going to do for her when she states:

Well I am, I cant walk, I use a wheelchair most of the time at home, I use crutches to get around anywhere else.
if your abilities are that limited, I see it unlikely either of those pieces of equipment are even usable to you.

given your claim of total disability, I would believe a set of support rails to balance and help hold you up while walking would be the most aggressive equipment you could use.

I got it: buy a walker and walk to see the scenery. You can get those that fold up and they will fit in a closet.

bottom line: you didn't need the 2 bedroom until daughter moved in. Now all of a sudden it is imperative you have the 2nd bedroom. While we all enjoy extra space in our homes, the fact is, unless it is really necessary, it simply should not be allowed. You have failed to make an argument it is necessary.

I didnt have to house the equipment!

Hi, Im sorry I didnt see your post until nnow, im new to this and I am just figuring it out!
I didnt need the equipment when she was here, I had insurance that paid for my physical therapy! When she moved out, they cut me off of it! So, I got free equipment off the net!
thanks
P.s
I have one very strong leg! The stair climber and the bike help me with range of motion in my ankle that I am trying to get back (in my bad leg). It's real easy as long as i can hang onto something! But you are right about the way that I state things, so that gave me a great clue on how to state things! So, thank you again!

Last edited:

DeenaCA

One of my posts yesterday was incorrect and I have edited it. In Rural Dev housing, the owner can sometimes terminate tenancy due to occupancy standards without providing a replacement unit. They don't have to but they can.

Bonnie, this is all in the Rural Dev HB you mentioned and it's available at USDA-RURAL DEVELOPMENT HANDBOOKS. I strongly suggest that you contact a disability advocacy group in your area to help with this.

Occupancy rules Usda!

Thank you for the reply! Yes they can make an exception to their rules and regs. Just like their NO PET policy! Everyone here has pets but it clearly states in the Lease NO PETS in several different places. I know most of the people and they are Not pet companions! I think it was an exception to the rule. Basically thats what I was asking for! Thank you for the advice on the advocacy group in the area! That is probably who I need to talk to!
Thanks,
Bonnie

CdwJava

I fail to see where anyone would decide that it is a REASONABLE accommodation for the owner of the property to accept a portion of the rent normally applied to a 2-bedroom unit. How is forcing the landlord to incur an ongoing monetary loss on the value of the unit "reasonable?"

I have seen a great many ADA complaints and compelled requirements, but none that require a landlord to lower rent or a property owner to lower the price of a property to make the accommodation. A "reasonable accommodation" is usually in the form of a one type purchase, an expansion of work space, or something that does not require an ongoing loss for the business or owner.

Here, "reasonable" will probable be allowing you to move into an apartment within your price range without forcing you to pay any penalties for breaking the lease.

justalayman

after reading some of the info in the link Deena provided, it appears the apartment management is actually controlled buy the feds and must actually apply to allow you to stay in the apartment. If they have done that and your case has been refused, they do not control the eviction.

that was from a very quick read.

2 things that I believe are a must do for you to prevail:

1. be certified as disabled and have that certification accepted by the FHA

2. obtain a prescription for the exercise equipment, specifically naming the type of equipment acceptable for the therapy required.

I believe if you cannot obtain both of those, you are simple a person with a bad leg that has some exercise equipment and she wants an extra bedroom to keep it in. In order to claim this as a medical necessity, you are going to have to have a medical professional say so.

• Individual with Disabilities: The term disability is considered equivalent to the term
handicap. Eligibility requirements for fully accessible units are contained in 7 CFR
3560.154(g)(1)(i) and 3560.155(b). A person is considered to have a disability if
either of the following two situations occur:
(1) As defined in section 501(b) of the Housing Act of 1949. The person is the head
of household (or his or her spouse) and is determined to have an impairment which:
(i) Is expected to be of long-continued and indefinite duration;
(ii) Substantially impedes his or her ability to live independently; and
(iii) Is of such a nature that such ability could be improved by more suitable
housing conditions, or if such person has a developmental disability as
defined in section 102(7) of the Developmental Disability and Bill of
Rights Act (42 U.S.C. 6001(7)).
(2) As defined in the Fair Housing Act; the Americans with Disabilities Act; and
section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973. The person has a physical or mental impairment which substantially limits one or more of such person's major life
activities; a record of such impairment; or being regarded as having such an
impairment. The term does not include current, illegal use of or addiction to a
controlled substance. As used in this definition, physical or mental impairment
includes:
(i) Any physiological disorder or condition, cosmetic disfigurement, or
anatomical loss affecting one or more of the following body systems:
neurological; musculoskeletal; special sense organs; respiratory, including speech
organs; cardiovascular; reproductive; digestive; genito-urinary; hemic and
lymphatic; skin; and endocrine;
(ii) Any mental or psychological disorder, such as mental retardation, organic
brain syndrome, emotional or mental illness, and specific learning disabilities.
The term "physical or mental impairment" includes, but is not limited to, such
diseases and conditions as orthopedic, visual, speech and hearing impairments,
cerebral palsy, autism, epilepsy, muscular dystrophy, multiple sclerosis, cancer,
heart disease, diabetes, Human Immunodeficiency Virus infection, mental
retardation, emotional illness, drug addiction (other than addiction caused by
current, illegal use of a controlled substance), and alcoholism;
(iii) Major life activities means functions such as caring for one's self, performing
manual tasks, walking, seeing, hearing, speaking, breathing, learning, and
working;
(iv) Has a record of such an impairment means has a history of, or has been
misclassified as having, a mental or physical impairment that substantially limits
one or more major life activities;
(v) Is regarded as having an impairment means:
(A) Has a physical or mental impairment that does not substantially limit
one or more major life activities but that is treated by the borrower or
management agent as constituting such a limitation;
(B) Has a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or
more major life activities only as a result of the attitudes of others toward
such impairment; or
(C) Has none of the impairments described in this definition but is treated
by another person as having such an impairment.

Last edited:

justalayman

Here, "reasonable" will probable be allowing you to move into an apartment within your price range without forcing you to pay any penalties for breaking the lease.
she wouldn't be breaking any lease. They cannot evict until the lease has (had) expired or with 30 days notice, whichever is greater. If they evict her before that time, they are setting themselves up for problems of their own. (based on the info deena provided) That is even with the changing circumstances.

6.30 INELIGIBLE TENANTS
Ineligible tenants are those who, upon recertification, fail to meet either the income or the
occupancy requirements for the unit and property that they currently occupy. Regulations
require that tenants who are no longer eligible to reside at the property be given notice that they
must vacate the property within 30 days or at the end of their lease, whichever is longer.

Proving you are disabled?

Under the laws what is proof of Disability?
I have two doctors that say that I'm disabled!
I have a physical therapist that says I'm disabled!
Does the prescription have to be for specific equipment? The reasonable accommodation was signed by the PT.Is that not good enough?
Thanks for your response and help!

More difficult that I thought!

My original lease was signed Jan 23, 2009. They gave the first eviction notice to vacate for no cause in Oct. 09. I fought for my rights! I knew they couldn't kick me out until the end of my lease . so, after a couple of months of fighting they sent me an email telling me that They would go ahead and let me stay until the end which is Jan 23 2010. One year. My new eviction notice is for Jan 31 2010. This is what is confusing. I was re-certified! In November 09. I received paperwork about the Lease Amendment! It is dated DEC 1, 09. It states-" THE TERM OF THE LEASE AGREEMENT HAS BEEN RENEWED OR REVISED FOR A PERIOD OF ONE YEAR BEGINNING DEC. 1 09!
Also, in another part of the amendment it says that they agree to lease a 2 bdrm unit to me (only listed occupant). Also, there is tow boxes that they have to check. Ineligible for RA OR Eligible for RA. The box that is checked says eligible!
Reading this over and over , to me it states that I have until DEC 1 2010, when my new lease expires????
To clarify the apartment owner (the housing authority) gets the same rent NO MATTER HOW MANY PEOPLE LIVE here!

justalayman

Under the laws what is proof of Disability?
I have two doctors that say that I'm disabled!
I have a physical therapist that says I'm disabled!
Does the prescription have to be for specific equipment? The reasonable accommodation was signed by the PT.Is that not good enough?
Thanks for your response and help!
now you are getting into specifics that are beyond me but from what I understand:

to the equipment: I would suspect either the specific equipment would have to be listed in an rx by the P.T. or your specific equipment would have to be recognized by at least the PT as providing the needed PT benefits.

In other words, PT either writes a rx for whatever machines you have or PT writes an rx for exercise of some type and lists machines that would provide the required exercises, which what you have would have to be within that list.

as to the disability; that would be determined by to whom you must provide proof but generally a doctors DX is the determination but it must comply with the requirements specified by any controlling law. It does seem to do that so now, that dx must be provided to whomever is making the determination in this sitauation. Whether it be to the management of the housing or in some official contact with FHA, I do not know.

I still have not seen anything that requires them to allow the second bedroom, just statements that they can allow the second bedroom as an accommodation. As such, all your efforts may be for naught as if it is only "can", then whomever makes the decisions is allowed to make the decision regardless of what you present. I believe it gets down to: can the government be required to pay for a 2 bedroom. If it is not so, then it appears that those who have the duty of making a determination have already determined they do not want to pay for the 2 bedroom. If it is not a required accommodation but merely allowed, I suspect you will be moving soon.

justalayman

To clarify the apartment owner (the housing authority) gets the same rent NO MATTER HOW MANY PEOPLE LIVE here!
Not true. There are rules as to even being able to rent the unit to ineligible tenants. If the tenancy does not fall within the requirements as set forth by the FHA, the apartment company doesn't get any money. You would be considered a tenant just like any other self pay tenant and if that happens, you will owe for your rent out of pocket.

when did the daughter move out? when did you notify of the change?

-" THE TERM OF THE LEASE AGREEMENT HAS BEEN RENEWED OR REVISED FOR A PERIOD OF ONE YEAR BEGINNING DEC. 1 09!
so, what was their response when you brought this to their attention?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">