• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

my dog bit and I have no insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gawm

Just curious, what kind of dog was it? I bet against pit, since I don't recall see anything on the news about it.

CJane

Geez you sound like my wife... Just because my dog bit this person doesnt mean he is a danger to our baby. Besides this bitch provoked my dog. She looked him in the eye. I will not put my dog down
Now I can't decide if the world would be better off if you put the dog down, had your child taken away from you, or were neutered.

I've had aggressive dogs all of my life until the fluffy thing I own now happened upon us. And not a single one of those dogs would have EVER bit someone. And certainly not because they 'looked them in the eye'.

You're an idiot.

justalayman

She looked him in the eye.
So if somebody looks your dog in the eye, it is ok for the dog to attack?

If you have this belief and the dog acts this way, as much as I love animals, shoot the dog.

Staring a dog down does not ever justify that dog attacking. Never. Not ever.

msiron

Dominant & or confident dogs (CAN) have 'you challenging me' issue when it comes to strangers staring at them. My male takes it as a challenge too BUT I'd never let him close enough to a strangers FACE to let this possibly happen and I always tell people who are seeing him for the first time not to look at him and pretend he's not there. And note: we train to try to work through this staring issue as it is not a real threat, only touching the owner in a violent way with hands, an object or upon asking for help from the dog are acceptable reason to bite.

You know your dog and this should not have happened but hey, sheet happens right? Did I see somewhere you were visiting at a house that belongs to someone else when this happened?

Last edited:

JustAPal00

I love dogs, but I'd shoot the dog myself! That dog crossed the line! The owners not real bright either for defending an attack like that!

CJane

Dominant & or confident dogs (CAN) have 'you challenging me' issue when it comes to strangers staring at them. My male takes it as a challenge too
Your dog should not believe his position in the pack is so superior that it would ever BE challenged.

Hey Seuss... people ought just not own dominant/aggressive breeds if they don't have a clue how to assert EVERY HUMAN'S place in the pack. It's one thing to have a dog trained to protect yourself or your property - it's another thing entirely to have a dog that takes eye contact as a challenge and for someone else to claim that's provocative.

tammy8

Geez I have Beagles, some of the sweetest non aggressive dogs and even I have renter's insurance with $500k liability. OP you are screwed. Sorry just the way it is. I felt sorry for you for a couple of posts and then you pulled the *blame* card:mad::mad::mad:. Be prepared to pay out good.

msiron

Your dog should not believe his position in the pack is so superior that it would ever BE challenged.

Hey Seuss... people ought just not own dominant/aggressive breeds if they don't have a clue how to assert EVERY HUMAN'S place in the pack. It's one thing to have a dog trained to protect yourself or your property - it's another thing entirely to have a dog that takes eye contact as a challenge and for someone else to claim that's provocative.
I didn't mean mine would challenge my stare, no no, never.

Mine would NEVER challenge MY authority but strangers are not their pack, nor their authority and they better stay leery of strangers and never be under the command of a stanger.

Very dominant, and usually young an immature and high drive dogs have a difficult time controlling themselves when 'they perceive' opposition, and even with the proper training it must be ongoing training. They have to learn to make some decisions on their own. For example, if I fell down and someone rushed over to help me, I certainly need my dog 'not to perceive' a threat, but if I am knocked down, assaulted, or cannot speak then I need him to react properly too.

I've also noticed dogs who view the helper as a big game (like my non-dom middle of the road female) big difference between my female & my male, my male who has no interest in equipment and no suit/sleeve games, only wants the real deal.

They react wrong, I'm in big trouble, my HO drops me.

Like I said, it's an ongoing process.

Last edited:

Just Blue

Geez you sound like my wife... Just because my dog bit this person doesnt mean he is a danger to our baby. Besides this bitch provoked my dog. She looked him in the eye. I will not put my dog down
I hope she takes you for everything you have and everything you will every have...And it will not be your choice to put the dog down...The Judge that issues the COURT ORDER will make that decision.

lipless

April 12th was the last day I could do a lot of things... eat solid foods, kiss my daughter, brush my teeth, produce certain sounds ( which is a big problem considering I am a teacher) and probably the worst thing I cant smile anymore. People dont look me in the eye anymore, co workers think I am sneering at them. I hate looking at my own reflection. You are so worried about your dog and what this might cost you. Dont you see this dog may cost you your daughter and your wife is pregnant but still you keep the dog that snarls at your child for no reason. Wake up YOU havent lost anything. Im afraid for what you may lose in the future. I cant put a price on what I have lost. Yes I got a lawyer. You cant tell me you would have done anything differently if you were in my place.

msiron

Umm hey lipless, the poster never said what breed of dog he has, would you mind telling us just for sheetz and giggles?

I have the feeling the breed has been conveniently left out of this equation.

And yes poster should put the dog down. I would too if mine were involved in an unprovoked attack.

CJane

Umm hey lipless, the poster never said what breed of dog he has, would you mind telling us just for sheetz and giggles?

I have the feeling the breed has been conveniently left out of this equation.

And yes poster should put the dog down. I would too if mine were involved in an unprovoked attack.
I'd like to know the breed too. Not because I think it's terribly relevant - I don't care if it was a pomeranian (which, btw, I'm terrified of) - but because I'll bet there's a connection between the breed of dog and the lack of insurance.

Gail in Georgia

Feeling bad...

When you called the person your dog bit a "bitch" and attempted to justify what took place by claiming the victim brought this on herself, any bit of sympathy anyone might have felt for you here went straight down the toilet.

It's groveling time fella and yes, you have every right to be worried, especially since the victim is now quite knowledgable on how you really feel about this incident.

In many states cases of animal bites treated in hospital settings need to be reported to local animal control officials who must then double check with the owner to make sure the animal has been vaccinated against rabies. If not, the animal is confiscated and held (the owner paying the costs of such holding) until cleared of rabies.

And that's only the beginning if the victim has retained a lawyer.

Gail

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">