• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My first child was born 6/30 and I dont want my mother anywhere near him.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Just Blue

It would be nice if that was enough but I feel like it wouldn't matter to my mother if we both said no. So Im wondering if I can take legal action if and when it happens
Yes you can...But you might want to move out of Mothers home when you file suit.

CdwJava

It would be nice if that was enough but I feel like it wouldn't matter to my mother if we both said no. So Im wondering if I can take legal action if and when it happens
What "legal action"? Call the cops? Probably not. Get a restraining order? Probably not.

Keep in mind that if you start playing mean on mom, she could kick you out of the house. So, be careful.

LdiJ

I am confused. Is your mother going to barge into your girlfriend's home and rip the baby out of her arms? If so, then your girlfriend needs to call the police, because that would be kidnapping. Your mother cannot pick up the child unless she has permission from the parent with whom the child is currently living.

HRZ

Its not entirely clear if there is a legal determination that the child is yours and any visitation order in place.

Child's mother has a lot of say as to who has access to the child ...your rights may depend on your formal status , any order, and the child actually being with you on your visitation time.

IF your GF chooses to have child visit GM and 17 of GMs friends then so be it !

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Are you in treatment for your depression? If I were in your shoes, I would start looking for housing and job assistance.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Have you been ordered to pay child support? If so, are you current on your payments? If not, then I find your story questionable, because the state would almost certainly be seeking a child support order to cover the cost of housing your child.

ETA: Never mind - didn't put 2+2 together to realize that your child is still young. You should start saving money for the child support order that will likely be forthcoming sooner rather than later.

Last edited:

LdiJ

Have you been ordered to pay child support? If so, are you current on your payments? If not, then I find your story questionable, because the state would almost certainly be seeking a child support order to cover the cost of housing your child.
The child is only about three weeks old. I suspect that the state just hasn't gotten around to that yet.

Maymee

OP, I get it. I had a mother like yours. I was also diagnosed with depression, complex PTSD, etc. The only thing that's going to rid you of your ailments is moving away from your mother. While it's hard to do when you're emotionally beaten down, getting a job and a place of your own will be your ticket to better health. I can tell you it will be hard (mentally and emotionally) but it will be worth it. Right now you're using your mother and depression as excuses. Only you can change that. Not an internet forum, not any human resources agency, not law enforcement - only you. The first step is the hardest, go ahead and get it out the way and start those baby steps to true freedom, happiness, and a depression-free life. If you don't, there is no one to blame but yourself at this point.

Now, on to your legal question... the very best thing you can do is never bring your son around your mother. Hopefully your GF agrees. Don't allow your mother to establish any kind of relationship with your son. Aside from that, you'd have to wait until she files something for grandparent visitation rights or does something to warrant an order of protection/restraining order.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">