• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My furnace is out and the HVAC tech said it could take up to 3 weeks before I can get a new unit approved. Do I have to wait this long?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

FarmerJ

heated mattress pads are a great choice heat rises so you don't lose heat from them the way a electric blanket loses heat and can use a lower setting, we use them upstairs since we no longer heat the upstairs in the winter and it makes it a lot easier to manage. If you call inspections and they come out you really want a copy of the report and copy of the work orders for your own records especially if the city condemns the home.

Torx2

Your lease must have a clause in it that says you have so many days to complain about problems with the apartment. The last thing you want to do is to call a building inspector in. Landlord can put you out to make renovations and fix/replace the furnace.

You don't have to pay $1500 buyout if the problems are not fixed

cf0886478

Your lease must have a clause in it that says you have so many days to complain about problems with the apartment. The last thing you want to do is to call a building inspector in. Landlord can put you out to make renovations and fix/replace the furnace.

You don't have to pay $1500 buyout if the problems are not fixed
I read through my lease agreement again. It doesnt say anything about how long my landlord has to make repairs or how long I have to complain about the problems. It basically just says tenant agrees to inspect the building before moving in, thats it.

FarmerJ

I suggest torx is mistaken , I personally have never seen such a thing and I know where I live the courts likely wouldn't allow such a thing to stand if a landlord tried to enforce it. When torx said > You don't have to pay $1500 buyout if the problems are not fixed< If this property is condemned as not fit for human habitation then you can fairly sue the LL for refund of a prorated amount for Decembers rent but condemnation doesn't wipe out any over due rent owed. the penalty to the LL for the condemnation would be the city forbidding the LL to re rent the place until ALL code violations are corrected unless your city ordered new code compliance repairs could take longer , Your LL cannot just put you out in order to renovate or make repairs but if the place is so bad that the city condemns then you must move out. If the city comes out and orders repairs and LL complies with repair orders then that would be great and just don't be shocked if the LL refuses to renew your lease. The lack of heat in winter is a serious issue but there is no reason that a new furnace cannot be swapped out in one day by a licensed heating contractor.

cf0886478

I suggest torx is mistaken , I personally have never seen such a thing and I know where I live the courts likely wouldn't allow such a thing to stand if a landlord tried to enforce it. When torx said > You don't have to pay $1500 buyout if the problems are not fixed< If this property is condemned as not fit for human habitation then you can fairly sue the LL for refund of a prorated amount for Decembers rent but condemnation doesn't wipe out any over due rent owed. the penalty to the LL for the condemnation would be the city forbidding the LL to re rent the place until ALL code violations are corrected unless your city ordered new code compliance repairs could take longer , Your LL cannot just put you out in order to renovate or make repairs but if the place is so bad that the city condemns then you must move out. If the city comes out and orders repairs and LL complies with repair orders then that would be great and just don't be shocked if the LL refuses to renew your lease. The lack of heat in winter is a serious issue but there is no reason that a new furnace cannot be swapped out in one day by a licensed heating contractor.
We've been up to date on all of our payments since we've moved in. If the furnace could be replaced in a day it shouldve already been replaced in my opinion, regardless if its the weekend or not but thats not the contractors fault its the landlord for not getting a new unit approved. See I dont know how bad the place is, the issues could be everything I listed or it could have hidden issues that are beneath the surface. I will get back with you guys tomorrow after I speak with the landlord face to face.

cf0886478

I do have a question though. Is it legal to not disclose problems with the house as a landlord before a tenant moves in?

FarmerJ

LLs are required to disclose to a tenant in older properties the possibility of lead based paints - lead hazard. What I can tell you is that states have laws that spell out the LLs obligations to maintain structural and mechanical systems ( plumbing, wiring , heating, roofs, windows, doors etc ) some cities do have inspections programs to note the conditions of housing stock but they still rely on inspections orders or threat of condemnation as tools to help watch for problems and governments presume that until proven other wise rentals are safe to occupy. I know of no state that requires LLs to disclose things that are aged like screw in fuses or say aged furnaces. Things can and do go wrong , look at cars , we put the keys in start up and go with out thinking more about it, but all the sudden we go to leave work and it wont start or en route to work something fails and it dies. Well same logic works with house things , we go to bed thinking we will take a shower in the morning but in the morning we discover after we let the dish machine run while we were sleeping that there is no hot water , something is broke. As to older electrical installs for the most part there is nothing wrong with fuse boxes that use fitted tamperproof fuses other than they are not as convenient as breakers , and in many situations older fuse boxes still do meet a code , its a older code but they are still allowed. BTW If your LL tries to tell you it could take more than a few days its BS if they call around enough they will find a heating contractor who can be out with in say a day or two and do a one day install. And if they try to sell that crap to you call inspections.

Torx2

Missouri Tenants Rights Laws

Missouri has implemented various laws that set forth the rights of landlords and tenants. For example, Missouri chooses to limit how much a landlord can collect as a security deposit and also sets forth a timeline for returning the tenant's security deposit at the end of the lease. There are also state laws detailing how landlords and tenants can terminate a tenancy.

However, there are some areas of the landlord/tenant relationship that Missouri law does not choose to govern. Missouri does not have laws limiting how much landlords can charge for rent, for instance, and there are no communities in Missouri with rent control laws. Missouri also does not have any law prohibiting landlords from retaliating against tenants for exercising legal rights.

As for replacing a furnace in one day you have to consider the cost of the unit and modification of the connecting ducts to the new unit. Sometimes a little furnace cement can remedy any leaks in the firebox and exchanger. Heating contractors love to use fear to sell the owner a replacement furnace. If the furnace is blowing cold air its high/low thermostat might have gone bad.

Just a Landlord's opinion from NY

Yes, I represent myself in court...

PayrollHRGuy

Missouri Tenants Rights Laws

Missouri has implemented various laws that set forth the rights of landlords and tenants. For example, Missouri chooses to limit how much a landlord can collect as a security deposit and also sets forth a timeline for returning the tenant's security deposit at the end of the lease. There are also state laws detailing how landlords and tenants can terminate a tenancy.

However, there are some areas of the landlord/tenant relationship that Missouri law does not choose to govern. Missouri does not have laws limiting how much landlords can charge for rent, for instance, and there are no communities in Missouri with rent control laws. Missouri also does not have any law prohibiting landlords from retaliating against tenants for exercising legal rights.

As for replacing a furnace in one day you have to consider the cost of the unit and modification of the connecting ducts to the new unit. Sometimes a little furnace cement can remedy any leaks in the firebox and exchanger. Heating contractors love to use fear to sell the owner a replacement furnace. If the furnace is blowing cold air its high/low thermostat might have gone bad.

Just a Landlord's opinion from NY

Yes, I represent myself in court...
The first two paragraphs you just posted aren't your "opinion". They are cut and pasted from a legal website.

Torx2

Yes, I own a couple of rental properties but that really isn't the issue here. The issue is that you did a copy and paste directly from another website and presented as your original work.
So what did you see a copyright on it? Don't be so anal retentive on a discussion forum... I even provided you with a link :giggle:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">