• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My rights living with alcoholic relative

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ilsucks

What is the name of your state?
Relative is bad alcoholic. Wants me to pay more rent. He makes good money. I don't have a job. The dude is stressful. Been paying him for 4 years and only complains like one or twice a month. Tell him to get therapy, he shuts up awhile. Waiting to move. Try to keep away from him. A real prick.

xylene

I would suggest you focus on your own employability issues.

I would also suggest that you are living in a codependent pattern and should get help via Al-Anon or other people with coping with alcoholic loved ones.

Just Blue

What is the name of your state?
Relative is bad alcoholic. Wants me to pay more rent. He makes good money. I don't have a job. The dude is stressful. Been paying him for 4 years and only complains like one or twice a month. Tell him to get therapy, he shuts up awhile. Waiting to move. Try to keep away from him. A real thoughtful man that allows me to live in his home.
Fixed that for ya.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
I'm guessing that you have no written lease and are paying month to month. If he's smart enough to give you a month's written notice of a rent increase, you either pay it or get evicted.

So, what are you waiting for?

My guess: No money for a deposit and first month's rent.
That is likely the case, that there is no written lease.

If iL:( had a lease, then iL:( would have legal recourse.

But if, as we suspect, iL:( has no lease, then iL:( is effectively a month to month tenant, and has to "like it or lump it".

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">