• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Narcissism in the workplace

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PayrollHRGuy

I have a friend who used to teach psychiatry at a university's medical school. His dream, however, was to start his own restaurant, so he did. He employs primarily patients from the area's mental health facilities because these individuals struggle to find jobs.
How's that working out for him?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The bottom line here is that, although the OP has not asked a question, I'm not seeing that anything illegal transpired. He does not have any legal recourse that I can see. He may get unemployment if he applies for it. That seems to be his only option. It is not up to him when or even whether the other guy is fired.

quincy

The bottom line here is that, although the OP has not asked a question, I'm not seeing that anything illegal transpired. He does not have any legal recourse that I can see. He may get unemployment if he applies for it. That seems to be his only option. It is not up to him when or even whether the other guy is fired.
Right. I earlier posted the information on defamation because plizzo posted in the defamation section of the forum but there is no defamation claim possible that I can see from what has been posted.

It appears that the workers could not play nicely together so the employer gave one of the workers a permanent time out.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
My impression was that his concern was that after he was fired that people gossiped about him.

I'd be more concerned about unemployment and future employability.

quincy

Plizzo said that workers were "talking who knows what about me."

The most basic necessary element of defamation is the communication of false statements. Plizzo doesn't know what if anything was said about him so he doesn't even have that. And any reputational harm seems to have been self-generated.

I think plizzo needs to take whatever pleasure he can get from knowing the narcissistic, teeth-clenching, jaw-muscle-bulging, obnoxious, temper-tantrum-throwing, troublemaking, bratty rat was also fired - even if he wasn't fired as rapidly as plizzo would have liked.

And then he needs to concentrate on getting mentally healthy enough to find another job.

I hope his heart palpitations are not an indication of anything more serious.

eerelations

I have a friend who used to teach psychiatry at a university's medical school. His dream, however, was to start his own restaurant, so he did. He employs primarily patients from the area's mental health facilities because these individuals struggle to find jobs.
There's a restaurant owner in Toronto who has been for decades employing only homeless youth (who also struggle to find jobs). (In Canada, the minimum age to move out of home/sign tenancy leases/work as an adult is 16. This may help to give some perspective to the story.) He trains them, and then the trained ones train the new ones. Many of them go on to decent jobs in the food preparation/service industry. While I haven't been there myself, the fact that the place has been in operation for 20+ years is a sign that this owner is successful. Also, my friend worked near this restaurant for a couple of years and bought her lunch there several times a week. She says the sandwiches were really good!

Last edited:

eerelations

It helps when the food is good. :)

I like to hear about those who think outside the box in their efforts to make positive differences in other people's lives.
Well then here's another - the best, most famous and wallet-blastingly expensive seafood restaurant in Toronto was having serious turnover problems with their dishwashers. They looked into it and realized that the job is REALLY BORING!!! So they called their local social services agency and asked if the agency could send along someone who was a bit mentally challenged. The agency did, and the mentally challenged person did very well. And he loved the job! He'd been struggling for so long to keep a job he could stay at, and here all he had to do was work hard and he could stay as long as he wanted! After four years he was promoted to kitchen help (and wow was he proud of that!), and the restaurant called the social services agency to ask for another mentally challenged person to become a replacement dishwasher.

Last edited:

quincy

Well then here's another - the best, most famous and most expensive seafood restaurant in Toronto was having serious turnover problems with their dishwashers. They looked into t and realized that the
... and realized that the .. ? Is this a cliffhanger to be picked up next season?

eerelations

I am happy to hear your laptop recovered. That was a happy story.

Yay for good employers. :)
I am in Mexico, and while the internet here is generally pretty good (and cheap! about $15 USD per month), it blinks out now and then for a second or two. Happens a few (like two or three) times per week. But OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">