• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need help as a buisness in car stereo installation about external noise complaints.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

xtrmsnds2

What is the name of your state? Illinois.

Hello my name is Brad I own a car stereo shop in Illinois.

I have been in business for 20 years and have had increasing noise violations written by the villages police and what they call a civilian citation.
With that being said my shop is surrounded by houses. the complaint is coming from 3 blocks away out of any range of dangerous noise that can affect his home .
I have had over 40 calls to the authorities by this one individual in the last 5 years and it is progressing to an harassment level event.

Does anybody know of any way the law can help a small car stereo shop avoid this harassment?

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
a civilian citation.
Don't you mean "civil"?

...out of any range of dangerous noise that can affect his home .
If you're producing "dangerous noise" then you have a real problem.

Does anybody know of any way the law can help a small car stereo shop avoid this harassment?
Doesn't your installation work get done inside the shop?

What's happened with all of these citations you've gotten?

Last edited:

LdiJ

I have been in business for 20 years and have had increasing noise violations written by the villages police and what they call a civilian citation.
With that being said my shop is surrounded by houses. the complaint is coming from 3 blocks away out of any range of dangerous noise that can affect his home .
I have had over 40 calls to the authorities by this one individual in the last 5 years and it is progressing to an harassment level event.

If the noise is loud enough that it can be heard at all 3 blocks away, then its a serious problem. Who is making the noise, you or your customers?

bcr229

Have you had the levels professionally checked at your property lines while you are conducting the noisiest aspects of your business to see if they comply with local regulations?

quincy

The best way to stop the complaints is to lower the noise your shop is generating. At what times is your shop open?

quincy

Here is a link to a typical Illinois city noise ordinance, this one to the ordinance in Aurora, Illinois:
https://www.aurora-il.org/500/Noise-Ordinance
The fact that so many noise violation citations have been issued means that there is a problem that is not being rectified. You can have a noise pollution engineer out to inspect your premises, to see if you can and/or how you can block sound from your shop - or, as xylene suggests, find a new location for your shop that is not in or near a residential area.

Last edited:

xtrmsnds2

Don't you mean "civil"?

If you're producing "dangerous noise" then you have a real problem.

Doesn't your installation work get done inside the shop?

What's happened with all of these citations you've gotten?

we have a shop with garage doors yes and no not dangerous noise just noise and civilian which means the civilian and request to press charges beyond what the police wants to do. the authorities are on my side 95 % of time but this civilian has demanded to press charges

every court appearance is in my favor but he keeps on pressing im getting tired of going to court

xtrmsnds2

You need a lawyer.

You should consider relocating to an industrial area.

thank you for addressing the real problem. instead of opinions Industrial 2 is my zone which permits 50 feet radius anything over 50 feet has to be damaging for citation which it isnt its just annoying for the one customer thats 500 feet away . if he hears it at all its no more louder than the highway that seperates us.

xtrmsnds2

I will add the report you can read this is a motorcycle my garage doors were open because legally I cant have doors closed while operating a vehicle.

the civilian had to walk 350 plus feet to get a clear audio signal to manipulate the video to make it sound louder and damaging

also stated that there was profane language from rap music . when I ask the customer to turn on his stereo and play what he normaly would play so I can tune it properly I dont have a choice on what he chooses just like a concert if you an hear a rapper from 2000 feet away cussing in his lyrics at a concert you cant do anything about it.

xtrmsnds2

also for the record 64 complaints have gone to the court house 4 i have had to show up to defend myself the others the states attorney threw out for being to stupid to go after and 4 not guilty because they were stupid and easy to defend but its annoying and i want nothing more but to operate my business and not have to worry about the one guy that lives by a elementary school ( why haven't they complained ) to harass me

quincy

Testing a vehicle might require that garage doors are open but testing a stereo system does not require open garage doors. And you do not need to play profanity-laced rap music to test the sound system, even if that is the music preferred by your customers.

Sixty-four complaints are a lot of complaints. I agree with you there. The police officer who responded to the one complaint seemed to agree with your neighbor, though.

You can speak with an attorney in your area to see if there is any law that the neighbor is violating (possibly intimidation? possibly harassment?).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">