• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbor scratched the whole side of my car..

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anon2you

What is the name of your state? California

What are the chances of my insurance finding neighbors insurance to try to charge him for the damage he did to my car?
Today my neighbor was cutting his grass and my car was parked in the public street halfway on the house where I live halfway in the front of the neighbor from hells house. Idk why but he scratched up my whole passenger side all the way up to halfway on my hood at first I thought it was with the weed wacker cause it’s a whole bunch of scratches everywhere but when my bf and dad came to check it out they said it looked like he just rubbed a burlap bag all on the side of the car I tried to file a police report but they said I can’t because I didn’t see him do it even though I saw him cutting the grass and very close to my car and even if I did see him do it it’s likely I would have to report it to my insurance like really. Then my insurance said they would try to contact him and send him the claim at a later date since I only have his name and address but for now I would have to fix it on my own. I’m asking what are the chances of my insurance actually trying to make him pay for this ? When I asked him why he did it he tried to act dumb as if he didn’t do it but it slipped out his mouth that that’s what I pretty much get for parking there so not only is he mocking me but it’s like what he gets away with it too? I’ve been crying all day because how is this possible why does the law work in such a messed up way? But then if we were to do something or show him a lesson what he really deserves they would sure be here in a second. Thank you.

Anon2you

What proof do you have that the neighbor damaged your car?
None that’s why I’m saying I just saw him cutting the grass and when I went to ask for his insurance he pretty much told me that I was crazy and that’s on me for wanting to be parking there. (in front of his house)

Anon2you

You admittedly have no proof that the neighbor damaged your car. You can't win a court case without proof.
I’m not looking to take him to court. I was saying what are the chances of my insurance charging him.. also what if there’s a phone record of me on the phone with someone at the time I asked him for insurance and he told me that was pretty much on me for parking in front of his house does that count as anything? Say you did the same to his car there’s cameras all on the neighbors houses but no proof what can he take you to court for??

PayrollHRGuy

I’m not looking to take him to court. I was saying what are the chances of my insurance charging him.. also what if there’s a phone record of me on the phone with someone at the time I asked him for insurance and he told me that was pretty much on me for parking in front of his house does that count as anything? Say you did the same to his car there’s cameras all on the neighbors houses but no proof what can he take you to court for??
If you don't have evidence the neighbor did it neither does your insurance company.

A phone record just shows you were on the phone.

Now if there are a bunch of cameras and you have not pissed off the rest of your neighbors as much as you have this one maybe you should ask them for video from the time the damage was done.

zddoodah

What are the chances of my insurance finding neighbors insurance to try to charge him for the damage he did to my car?
This doesn't make much sense. If your policy includes comprehensive coverage, you can make a claim, and your insurer will pay the damage (less your deductible). Your insurer isn't going to make any effort to "find" someone else's insurance.

my car was parked in the public street halfway on the house where I live
Ummm...huh?

he scratched up my whole passenger side all the way up to halfway on my hood at first
Given that you admit you didn't see him do this and have no evidence that he did it, on what basis do you claim that he did this? You're not seriously suggesting that him cutting grass near your car is evidence that he did this, are you?

I’m asking what are the chances of my insurance actually trying to make him pay for this ?
Zero. Aside from the fact that there's no evidence that your neighbor did this, an insurance carrier has no ability to "make" someone pay for something. If there were evidence that the neighbor did it, then your insurer could sue your neighbor to recover what it pays (along with your deductible), but lawsuits require evidence.

why does the law work in such a messed up way?
Huh? It's "messed up" for "the law" to require evidence of things? You're kidding, right?

what if there’s a phone record of me on the phone with someone at the time I asked him for insurance and he told me that was pretty much on me for parking in front of his house does that count as anything?
The phone record isn't going to include recordings of what you and he said. A phone record would only evidence that a call occurred at a certain time. Moreover, the neighbor's statement isn't evidence that he did what you're claiming. You're construing it beyond all reason because that's what you want to believe.

Say you did the same to his car there’s cameras all on the neighbors houses but no proof what can he take you to court for?
Anyone can take someone to court for anything. In order to win, one needs evidence.

Anon2you

This doesn't make much sense. If your policy includes comprehensive coverage, you can make a claim, and your insurer will pay the damage (less your deductible). Your insurer isn't going to make any effort to "find" someone else's insurance.

Ummm...huh?

Given that you admit you didn't see him do this and have no evidence that he did it, on what basis do you claim that he did this? You're not seriously suggesting that him cutting grass near your car is evidence that he did this, are you?

Zero. Aside from the fact that there's no evidence that your neighbor did this, an insurance carrier has no ability to "make" someone pay for something. If there were evidence that the neighbor did it, then your insurer could sue your neighbor to recover what it pays (along with your deductible), but lawsuits require evidence.

Huh? It's "messed up" for "the law" to require evidence of things? You're kidding, right?

The phone record isn't going to include recordings of what you and he said. A phone record would only evidence that a call occurred at a certain time. Moreover, the neighbor's statement isn't evidence that he did what you're claiming. You're construing it beyond all reason because that's what you want to believe.

Anyone can take someone to court for anything. In order to win, one needs evidence.
Lmao what are you talking about you sound ridiculous I bet if someone did this to your car you would for sure not be saying that this was no accident he vandalized my car and fyi I’m taking him to court I got someone to testify for me in court and we’re taking him to court a long with my insurance now we all saw him out there and saw that he was up to no good it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure that out I don’t want to just believe that someone scratched my whole car and it was an accident please think i obviously said it was him for a reason this isn’t the first incident with this so called person. So please try your dumb answer with someone else.

Anon2you

Do you even have an estimate to repair it?
My insurance is paying for it. It’s up there though. He messed my car up bad like if he got his grass burlap bag and just mushed it all over my car my grill my rims my lights my hood Moldings everything he even made sure to get a deep scratch on my hood for his grand finale.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
And when your friend gets busted for perjury and the judge tears strips out of you for wasting his time and you end up paying your neighbor's attorney bills, remember, you heard it here first.

Anon2you

And when your friend gets busted for perjury and the judge tears strips out of you for wasting his time and you end up paying your neighbor's attorney bills, remember, you heard it here first.
My friend? I don’t have any friends in this city. This isn’t the first time they have reported this man. This person I don’t know literally I know no one but this neighbor and the LL but ppl from the neighborhood seen him doing his stuff by my car they just didn’t know who it belonged to but now they do. You can’t just mess up someone’s car and think you’re going to get away with it especially not in this manner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">