• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

New spouse

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Angelof41977

I have been legally separated from now husband(not kids father) for 6 yrs. Just now finally getting divorce thru. I am going thru a child custody modification right now. I want to get married but kids dad just stated (since ex doesn't know my soon to be husband) judge says anyone I am dating or intimate with cannot be around either of my kids until this court is done. Can judge prevent me from marriage and living with new spouse just because my ex has issues? Weird situation I am sure but since yes we would be married and intimate is it the same thing ?This can drag on for years if he fights everything like usual.
Ex is mad because son (who lives with me) prefers my fiance by his own choice.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I have been legally separated from now husband(not kids father) for 6 yrs. Just now finally getting divorce thru. I am going thru a child custody modification right now. I want to get married but kids dad just stated (since ex doesn't know my soon to be husband) judge says anyone I am dating or intimate with cannot be around either of my kids until this court is done. Can judge prevent me from marriage and living with new spouse just because my ex has issues? Weird situation I am sure but since yes we would be married and intimate is it the same thing ?This can drag on for years if he fights everything like usual.
What US state?

Does your ex say that, or does your court order say that?

A bit of advice: NEVER take legal advice from your ex, and be very careful taking any other kind of advice..

Zigner

Court order (temporary)states until court is done.

Are you saying that your CURRENT (temporary) court order in your divorce states that you can't have a new love interest around the kids until the current divorce is complete? If the kids aren't a part of the marriage, then the court doesn't have jurisdiction over that.

EDIT: And why is your ex involved in your current divorce matter at all?

Just Blue

So your not divorced yet and already planning on getting married? Why would you expose your children to your lover before you are even divorced?

Zigner

So your not divorced yet and already planning on getting married? Why would you expose your children to your lover before you are even divorced?
A great question for the OP to think about, but it doesn't change the fact that the current divorce matter doesn't involve the children, since they are not the husband's kids.

Just Blue

A great question for the OP to think about, but it doesn't change the fact that the current divorce matter doesn't involve the children, since they are not the husband's kids.
Ahhh....I missed that! Sorry OP...Ignore my comments.

Angelof41977

This is only custody modification case. This new set of temp orders say fiance cannot be around either child until court is done. I dont have lawyer and ex does. My EXACT thoughts on why ex even needs to be in my personal life (he cannot stand to see me or son happy) so since I am not officially divorced from 2nd spouse until Nov 13 judge ordered he cannot be around. I understand marriage issues (conservative) and judge doesn't like new person around kids(but judge didn't care legally separated for 6 yrs.) So I figured after divorce I can choose when to marry but now judge said UNTIL court is done. Can he legally stop visits with my 16 yr old daughter if I did get married?

Zigner

This is only custody modification case. This new set of temp orders say fiance cannot be around either child until court is done. I dont have lawyer and ex does. My EXACT thoughts on why ex even needs to be in my personal life (he cannot stand to see me or son happy) so since I am not officially divorced from 2nd spouse until Nov 13 judge ordered he cannot be around. I understand marriage issues (conservative) and judge doesn't like new person around kids(but judge didn't care legally separated for 6 yrs.) So I figured after divorce I can choose when to marry but now judge said UNTIL court is done. Can he legally stop visits with my 16 yr old daughter if I did get married?
Well that helps to clear things up...

Yes, the court can order you not to have the kids around him. Once you are married, that likely would not apply (since he would then be "family"). However, if the judge wishes to, he can continue to order your new spouse to not be around the kids until the modification is complete.

Angelof41977

I didn't plan to find a relationship but since not together for 6 yrs I didn't think to push divorce sooner since didn't matter until now. My kids have not been around soon to be ex for 6 yrs.

Zigner

That's what I was wondering and assumed would be the answer. But still dont know why he is allowing my ex to dictate my life.
He (the judge) is not allowing your ex to "dictate" your life. The judge is simply trying to prevent you from bringing the a random man around the children. You're not even DIVORCED yet. What kind of example does this set for the kids? This is being done for the kids, not against you.

Angelof41977

Well that helps to clear things up...

Yes, the court can order you not to have the kids around him. Once you are married, that likely would not apply (since he would then be "family"). However, if the judge wishes to, he can continue to order your new spouse to not be around the kids until the modification is complete.
I assume as much. Told soon to be we will have to wait this out. Just wanted to know if judge could legally prevent a spouse from being in my home. My kids come first always so I have no problem waiting.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">