• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Oh, no, Mom had a stroke

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veronica1228

BlondiePB said:
Good day, sunshine to you too, Veronica and Rmet. :)
Hey there Blondie. Sorry I didn't respond to you earlier, but I had a fully packed Saturday. I was really hoping that Bonnie would be able to come back and give us an update, but apparently her hands are still full. I imagine they will be for a while. I just hope she is okay.

By the way, Blondes are being disparaged on a thread in the Auto Accidents and Vehicle Claims Forum. I think they're just jealous. :(

rmet4nzkx

Veronica1228 said:
Hey there Blondie. Sorry I didn't respond to you earlier, but I had a fully packed Saturday. I was really hoping that Bonnie would be able to come back and give us an update, but apparently her hands are still full. I imagine they will be for a while. I just hope she is okay.

By the way, Blondes are being disparaged on a thread in the Auto Accidents and Vehicle Claims Forum. I think they're just jealous. :(
Don't get me in trouble, I just looked them up on the net :)
https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=274577&page=2

BlondiePB

Veronica1228 said:

Agree about the jealous. :D

When Bonnie gets a chance to catch her breath, I'm sure she'll be back with an update. Guess we both know how much her hands are full.

rmet4nzkx

BlondiePB said:
You are in huge trouble, missy! :eek:

Ophelia has to make a huge turn south to affect me.
I said I edited the bad, the really bad ones out, at least the were not all women ;) I didn't compile the list, it came from BYU.

They showed beaches in your area washing away................. and said she might pull a Jean.

BlondiePB

rmet4nzkx said:
I said I edited the bad, the really bad ones out, at least the were not all women ;) I didn't compile the list, it came from BYU.

They showed beaches in your area washing away................. and said she might pull a Jean.
You must have picked up the wrong color (blonde not red) in the third row of the store "former missy redhead." :p

The beach is just fine here and not getting washed away. Don't get me wrong that I'm not watching Ophelia, especially after Jeanne did a loop de do and did a really good battering here last year. Ya just never know, but she is providing some really nice weather. Heck, I can even open the windows overnight.

Veronica1228 said:

Hey all, just had a chance to check in. Sorry it's been so long, but Verionica sure had it right. But one thing at a time, right? Did all the legwork, complaint checking, first visits, etc, and narrowed down my choices to three homes, thanks to all your input. My oldest brother came into town yesterday and I then took him to the three to get his impression.

My younger (estranged) brother came into town today and older bro took him to same home. Amazingly, (and this is almost impossible in my family), we all three agreed on the same home. Yay!

Now, the other crudola that I've been going through. Although I handle all my mothers affairs, a letter somehow went to her address from Medicare requiring she tell them who her designated physician was. She never responded (there's a reason I handle her affairs :rolleyes: ). So they randomly assigned her a Dr. Although she nor I had ever met this Dr., he was in charge of her care upon admittance to the hospital. I did not like this Dr. from the first time we spoke upstairs, after admitting from ER. I told the advocate/caseworker this and she told me I certainly had a right to fire him, but good luck finding another Dr. to take her in this condition that took Medicare.

I started asking around about this Dr., thinking I was a little frazzled and could have been wrong in my impression. I have a few friends that have been at this hospital for over 20 years so I started with them. "Oh, no, Dr. XYZ, you've got to find Momma another Dr. I'm surprised he still has his license." The same kind of comments followed from nurses, home administrators, the admissions office, etc. Matter of fact, yesterday, the nursing home that he has his office and practice out of was shut down by DHS for having 120 violations, per the avg of 8.5 He's not on staff at the hospital, just the designated dr for the "Alliance" my mom was randomly assigned by Medicare.

So I took things logically. If Mom HAD responded, who would have been designated dr? Ahh, her GP, Dr. ABC. Find out Dr. ABC closed her practice 4 months ago and all her patients and files were transferred to Dr. Zhivago, who as it happens, is also my family's physician. Wow, great! Call Dr. Zhivago's office and explain what's happening, they look in computer and confirm that Mom is indeed in the system as Dr. Zhivago's patient. You're sure right? I ask. Absolutely, I'm reassured. Go ahead and tell Dr. XYZ that Mom is now Dr. Zhivago's patient. Advocate called dr to tell him he was replaced Thurs about 5:15.

Called Dr. Zhivago's office Friday morning to confirm Zhivago was seeing Mom that day and was told Dr was on vacation til Monday and that the employee I talked to Thurs was new and didn't now what he was talking about. Dr. Z would decide on Mon whether he would "accept" Mom (meaning, do I want another Medicare patient). Sorry, we'll let you know on Mon. Spent a half a day calling every dr in county trying to find one to take her. No luck. So now Mom has NO Dr. I've got to rehire the pariah until I find out what the other dr decides Monday. One of the homes we were looking at refused to even accept a patient of Dr. XYZ because they didn't want him in their facility. I am not kidding about what I've heard about him!

I'm sorry if this is long, just wanted to update all, and since I don't know when I'll be back wanted to thank you all for your good wishes, thoughts and insight. You're really helping me through this. Bless Y'all!

And, Doc, I knew you'd show up sooner or later. I'm just wondering where Hot Toddy's been. Did he get in trouble with his wifey or something. :D

Not to ramble on, but this is in addition to al the other fun stuff. Speech therapist tests her and puts her on a "true" baby food diet, thick liquids, no thin liquids. Great, at least she gets something to eat after 1/2 days of IV only. I stayed the night. Next morning they bring her breakfast of coffee, milk, rice cereal and muffin. Would someone have caught that?

In the middle of the night they would give her meds via applesauce. Speech therapist comes in in morning and the affected left side of her cheek is full of the meds and applesauce. They weren't even looking if she swallowed. I've been taught meticulously by the therapist how to feed her, using a gloved hand to check her mouth and to make sure she leans to the right when feeding. Crying out loud, it's posted on the wall behind her bed on pink paper in big letters. She's only allowed to suck on one of those green spongy lollipop looking things for water and today, one of the nurses was putting a glass of water to her mouth. I just don't know how many places I can be at one time. I've got one child at home who's been off school Thurs and Fri. and the other pulled his hamstring at his school football game Fri night that I've got to get into a Dr. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!

Okay, that's all. Thanks for listening. :D

Veronica1228

I hate that you are having to go through this. Just hang in there, hon and it will get better. Let me tell you some of what happened to me and my mother's doctors.

My mother actually has several doctors. She has one for her heart, kidneys, feet (well her podiatrist is no longer in the picture), a surgeon, and her regular doctor who handles her diabetes. We'll call her Dr. Stein. Dr. Stein used to be my doctor too (she's a general practitioner) but I didn't really like her so I switched. Well, in early December of last year my mother had to be admitted to the hospital because her blood sugar kept dropping and no one could figure out why. After she had been there two days, I got a call at 4 in the morning from the hospital that my mother had a seizure and was now nonresponsive. I rushed to the hospital with my Aunt and Dr. Stein eventually showed up. At one point they had us leave the room while they worked on her and tried to get her to respond to normal stimuli. Dr. Stein comes out and tells me that she suspects my mother had a stroke and that she was going to die. She even went so far as to tell me to start calling my family so that they could come to the hospital to say their good-byes!

Well, my Aunt and I were devastated. We really didn't say much to the doctor we just sort of cried a bit. We then went back into my mother's room and 10 minutes later my mother woke up and was fine. They even took her for a CAT scan and it was determined that my mother did NOT have a stroke and that it was probably blood sugar related.

Later, Dr. Stein and I were talking and I just said something along the lines of, "I guess my Mom is out of the woods," and Dr. Stein had the nerve to tell me that she still stands by what she said and that my mother was going to die. I asked her what she is going to die from since her initial diagnosis was incorrect and Dr. Stein said that my mother had multiple health problems (no sh*t) and that I should just let her go. I told her that my mother was strong and a fighter and she is going to be fine. Dr. Stein kept saying my mother could die tomorrow, or in a week or a month or a year. I couldn't believe that this woman, who was wrong and could not admit it, was trying to make me face a truth that had not been proven at all. I was so mad. I eventually just spoke with my mother's kidney doctor (who I absolutely love) and he said that Dr. Stein was an idiot and he helped us switch.

My story really doesn't have a moral or anything. Just wanted to let you know that I know what it's like to feel frustrated with medical care. If nothing else, I hope my story was a little bit of a distraction for you and took your mind off of your concerns for a few minutes.

Take care, hon. Thanks for keeping us updated.

Thanks, Veronica. No moral to the story needed. I'm just amazed that this is more common than I thought. My Lord, what about those elderly out there that don't have someone near to fight for them? Makes me shudder. Right on for standing up for your mother. Daughters and moms have that special thing going on.

They've convinced me that I should take the night off tonight, since I've got a lot of running around and paperwork to do tomorrow, and I guess I'm just too tired to fight it. Hubby is down at the hospital now til he's too tired. I'm scared to death to leave her alone tonight though. It's not that I'm an overprotective daughter. Since she's determined to get the heck out of there, she keeps trying to get out of her bed, so they said they'd have to restrain her if someone wasn't there always to watch her. And I KNOW how my mom would react to restraints.

I actually had to have them restrain just her right hand one night because she kept trying to pull out her catheter and shake out her IV. They decided to put the IV in her left hand since she hadn't moved it since the stroke. She gave me this real nasty look and grunted and wham, moved her left arm to her right arm. I was amazed so I moved her left hand back and she did it again. I guess if you tick her off enough......

Thanks for letting me hear what you went through. It really helps.

Veronica1228

I'm glad you're taking the night off because you definitely need to rest from the sound of it. Just try to relax and get a decent night's sleep. I'm sure it will be the first one you've gotten since this entire thing started. Take care of yourself. I can't stress that enough. It's easy to skip meals and lose sleep when something like this happens and you're too busy to worry about yourself, but it will do no one any good, especially your mother, if you are out of commission because you ran yourself ragged.

That little speech comes to you courtesy of my family. I heard it a thousand times from them since December when all of my mess started and I know first hand that it's true. :)

Veronica1228 said:
I'm glad you're taking the night off because you definitely need to rest from the sound of it. Just try to relax and get a decent night's sleep. I'm sure it will be the first one you've gotten since this entire thing started. Take care of yourself. I can't stress that enough. It's easy to skip meals and lose sleep when something like this happens and you're too busy to worry about yourself, but it will do no one any good, especially your mother, if you are out of commission because you ran yourself ragged.

That little speech comes to you courtesy of my family. I heard it a thousand times from them since December when all of my mess started and I know first hand that it's true. :)
Okey-dokey, you're right. I've only heard that speech 100 times though. Just called there and guess what? She's still alive even though I'm not in that cot by her side. I'm beginning to get it.

Thank you friend.

BlondiePB

tryingtoplease said:
Okey-dokey, you're right. I've only heard that speech 100 times though. Just called there and guess what? She's still alive even though I'm not in that cot by her side. I'm beginning to get it.

Thank you friend.
Yep, you must care for yourself. Now that your brother has arrived, let him and your other brother shoulder some of the burden. It's Monday, so you can acquire the other doctor for mom and fire Dr. Death again. Once mom gets settled and her care is co-ordinated, things will be smoother.

Get to know the people at the nursing home that will be taking care of mom. The "charge" nurse is the nurse on duty who oversees all the nurses and is just below the Director of Nurses (DON). Other key people are the therapists, dietician, administrator, business office manager, receptionist, and of course mom's physicians. Do go to mom's care planning meetings.

When I see something unacceptable, I do not tell the aides. I go get the charge nurse or the DON and show them what is wrong. That is very effective. Mom must be on a soft-mechanical diet with the use of Thick-it. Do fill out a menu with mom. I sent you a PM regarding the contract.

Alrighty then, all. Today was a wonderful day. Dr. Death (as Blondie so affectionately nicknamed him) is outta there! My family physician is now hers so YAY! Just about 1/2 hour ago they transported her to a very good nursing facility and she is happy and resting comfortably. I just ran home to pack some stuff up to make it a little more homey for her but wanted to check in here (funny where my priorities sometimes lie) because each and every one of you has been sooo helpful. Couldn't have made it this far without the help of a bunch of anonymous people spread out around the country that I now consider dear friends. If any of you find yourself headed for a central CA coastal beach town, PM me and I'm buying lunch.

I know this is not the end, but it's a fine beginning. Thanks again all. I'm sure I'll be back asking more questions.

Peace!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">