• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Our baby was forced to medical examination we never asked for, and got a huge bill

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

adlo

If it doesn't, for the next trip abroad the OP might consider getting travel insurance that covers that sort of thing.
Yes, they didn't get optional insurance which was a huge mistake and will not happen again. Still, we gotta try to get out if this situation somehow.

adlo

Debt collection is not a law enforcement action. It isn't handled by the police.
OK. But how does it work when your debtor lives across the sea? Can US debt collectors come to EU and confiscate your property for example? Or can they sell your debt overseas to a local company?

adlo

By the way thank you guys for your advice, I really appreciate it. And sorry for my English and misuse of certain terms, I am not a native speaker.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Does that really happen?
Nothing prevents the creditor or collector simply sending a bill or calling you in your country to collect so long as any debt collection rules in your country are followed.

The creditor also might sue you in a U.S. court, get a judgment, and then go through the treaty process that allows a judgment obtained in one country to enforced in another, assuming your country is a party to that treaty. Or your country may provide its own means for domesticating a foreign judgment. Another option would be to bring the lawsuit in your country. But all those processes are not cheap and for debt of the size involved here the creditor is unlikely to go through that effort. No way to know for sure what this creditor would do though. You'd just have to wait and see what the creditor does.

But I thought cross-border law enforcement was pretty difficult and required consent and cooperation of government agencies on both sides. I mean, you cannot just send policemen to another country and have them chase people. Not mentioning private debt collectors. Or am I wrong?
Criminal law enforcement is a very different matter, and the rules for that are much different as a result.

PayrollHRGuy

OK. But how does it work when your debtor lives across the sea? Can US debt collectors come to EU and confiscate your property for example? Or can they sell your debt overseas to a local company?
Pretty much the worst that will happen is that collectors will sue and get a judgment. That judgment is good in the US. If there are no assets in the US for them to go after, the chance of them taking it any further is so close to zero that it isn't worth worrying about.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I agree - misusing one phrase that isn't standard in your country (heck, it's not even standard in the US) doesn't mean that your use of the English language is faulty.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Yes, social services, I am sorry. Their argument was that they could not release the baby without parents being present. Grandma and ucle were not enough.
Actually, they may have had a decent argument on that point.

quincy

Yes, social services, I am sorry. Their argument was that they could not release the baby without parents being present. Grandma and ucle were not enough.
The hospital would have wanted permission from the parent/legal guardian before treating your daughter for anything other than what was considered emergency treatment. I imagine the hospital wanted from grandma and brother contact information for your wife so they could treat and release your daughter.

If the hospital turns any unpaid bills over to a debt collector, there is little likelihood that you would be pursued in Europe for payment of a $6000 hospital bill. If your daughter was not covered by insurance in the US, the $6000 amount probably would be reduced before then, too (uninsured discount).

adlo

If your daughter was not covered by insurance in the US, the $6000 amount probably would be reduced before then, too (uninsured discount).
Wait, that's a thing in the US? Gotta Google that, cause that sounds like our case. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">