• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Out of state visitation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LdiJ

I understand that you believe that this (or any) mom would never plot such a thing.
I never said never. There have been custodial parents (more often single ones) who have run off to try to stymie the other parent from seeing his/her child(ren). However, the majority of the ones who go to court, generally don't get to move with the children if they don't have arguably decent reasons for moving.

Just Blue

I never said never. There have been custodial parents (more often single ones) who have run off to try to stymie the other parent from seeing his/her child(ren). However, the majority of the ones who go to court, generally don't get to move with the children if they don't have arguably decent reasons for moving.
OP's wife may had had decent reasons for moving. But now he and his wife don't want to follow the CO as it is too much $$. Curiously the wife failed to mention to heavy financial weight the visitation would place on them while in court to gain permission for the move. Why do you think that is? Why do you think OP is here looking for ways to get the jurisdiction moved to Utah?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
there even are direct ones available so the child can fly as an unaccompanied minor). I think that there are very few of us that would have ever considered putting our children on a plane as an unaccompanied minor.
Salt Lake likely has plenty of n/s flights to CA. (note the slc in OP's userid). And count me among the "very few" who sent kids u/m...

LdiJ

Salt Lake likely has plenty of n/s flights to CA. (note the slc in OP's userid). And count me among the "very few" who sent kids u/m...
You had two who went together. They had each other and one of them was older than 5.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
To be honest, I'd be hesitant to send a 5 year old unaccompanied. I understand that it happens, but even with my VERY responsible granddaughter, I wouldn't even have considered recommending it until she was around 7 (and her mom is having difficulty even at 9).

LdiJ

To be honest, I'd be hesitant to send a 5 year old unaccompanied. I understand that it happens, but even with my VERY responsible granddaughter, I wouldn't even have considered recommending it until she was around 7 (and her mom is having difficulty even at 9).
I know of at least 3 or 4 cases out in the real world where the parents disagreed about it and took it to court for a judge to decide. Judges will use their own judgment as to whether or not a child is old enough to fly alone. A couple of the judges said 9 was too young to fly alone.

One judge made a really weird ruling. The child in question was 10. One parent wanted the child to fly and the other parent said the child was too young. The judge left it up to the parent who was responsible for each leg of the transportation to decide whether the child would fly or not for their leg.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I know of at least 3 or 4 cases out in the real world where the parents disagreed about it and took it to court for a judge to decide. Judges will use their own judgment as to whether or not a child is old enough to fly alone. A couple of the judges said 9 was too young to fly alone.

One judge made a really weird ruling. The child in question was 10. One parent wanted the child to fly and the other parent said the child was too young. The judge left it up to the parent who was responsible for each leg of the transportation to decide whether the child would fly or not for their leg.
I'm sure that every case is evaluated based on its own unique fact pattern, as it should be :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">