• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Package delivered by mistake, owner of the package mad

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sc5602

Texas

I was enjoying my day at home, when I heard a knock at my door.

I went and opened the door and found 2 amazon packages that I had not ordered. I believe that the delivery person made a mistake.

So I picked up my phone and called amazon customer service, and told them that two packages that I had not ordered was delivered to me. They asked me for the tracking number on the box, so I told them the number. They asked me to hold, so I waited a little bit.

When they called back, they told me I could either keep the package, or throw it away. They gave me a confirmation email as reference.

So our family decided to open the box, because amazon literally told us that we could do what we wanted with the boxes.

We opened the box and found containers and fish oil medicine etc.

But after a couple of minutes, the people who had bought the stuff that showed up at the my doorstep, knocked on our house door.

They asked us for the stuff back. So we gave them back. But when they saw that the boxes had been opened, they got really mad.

They started cussing, told us that we could go to jail for this, that this is a federal offence and left really mad.

It turns out they actually lived at the other end of the apartment complex, and had the same apartment # as us.

We didnt know because we moved into these apartments a month ago and was still adjusting to the atmosphere.

They had asked why didnt you leave it at the office, before we even knew that we lived in the same place.

Although I was unsure, the part where he said "you can go to jail for this" really disturbed me.

The question is can me and my family actually go to jail for this? And can he sue me for opening a package that was delivered to me by mistake?

LdiJ

Who were the packages addressed to? If the names on the packages were not your name, you should not have opened the boxes.
Except that Amazon told them that they could keep them or throw them away. Its likely that Amazon has already generated another delivery to the original purchasers. Amazon is like that on many orders. If they do not feel that the cost of having the product returned is worth it, they will just tell the person to keep it or discard it. I know this because I order lots of merchandise from Amazon and there have been many an occasion where they just told me to keep or discard a potential return.

If the package is delivered by regular mail I might agree with you, even if Amazon does tell you to keep it or discard it, but otherwise, no.

LdiJ

Texas

I was enjoying my day at home, when I heard a knock at my door.

I went and opened the door and found 2 amazon packages that I had not ordered. I believe that the delivery person made a mistake.

So I picked up my phone and called amazon customer service, and told them that two packages that I had not ordered was delivered to me. They asked me for the tracking number on the box, so I told them the number. They asked me to hold, so I waited a little bit.

When they called back, they told me I could either keep the package, or throw it away. They gave me a confirmation email as reference.

So our family decided to open the box, because amazon literally told us that we could do what we wanted with the boxes.

We opened the box and found containers and fish oil medicine etc.

But after a couple of minutes, the people who had bought the stuff that showed up at the my doorstep, knocked on our house door.

They asked us for the stuff back. So we gave them back. But when they saw that the boxes had been opened, they got really mad.

They started cussing, told us that we could go to jail for this, that this is a federal offence and left really mad.

It turns out they actually lived at the other end of the apartment complex, and had the same apartment # as us.

We didnt know because we moved into these apartments a month ago and was still adjusting to the atmosphere.

They had asked why didnt you leave it at the office, before we even knew that we lived in the same place.

Although I was unsure, the part where he said "you can go to jail for this" really disturbed me.

The question is can me and my family actually go to jail for this? And can he sue me for opening a package that was delivered to me by mistake?
Anybody can sue anybody for anything. However, he apparently does not have any damages, and in fact, is likely to get a second shipment of the same product from Amazon for free, so he has nothing to base a lawsuit on. You also cannot go to jail for following Amazon's instructions on how to deal with a misdelivered package. Do keep the email you got from Amazon just in case, but I think its highly unlikely that you will ever hear anything more about the matter.

FlyingRon

There's no "federal law" violated unless it was mail. Amazon rarely sends stuff by mail, it's usually done by private or common carriage.
No violation of Texas law here.

As for the misdirection, the complaint these people have is with AMAZON not you. Just ignore them.

It's easy for people to threaten lawsuits, moderately more difficult to actually file one, and in this case, impossible to prevail.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Except that Amazon told them that they could keep them or throw them away. Its likely that Amazon has already generated another delivery to the original purchasers. Amazon is like that on many orders. If they do not feel that the cost of having the product returned is worth it, they will just tell the person to keep it or discard it. I know this because I order lots of merchandise from Amazon and there have been many an occasion where they just told me to keep or discard a potential return.

If the package is delivered by regular mail I might agree with you, even if Amazon does tell you to keep it or discard it, but otherwise, no.
Amazon had no right to tell them to open something not addressed to them. That is why it matters to whom it was addressed.

FlyingRon

Amazon had no right to tell them to open something not addressed to them. That is why it matters to whom it was addressed.
Such would be true if it had been postal mail. Amazon having their private or common carrier misdeliver an item is a different story. T

The question is, at what point is it no longer owned by Amazon and out of their control. Is it the moment the transaction was made via the internet or the moment the recipient received the package?, which in this case, never happened.
My point is, when the OP called Amazon was the package still the property of Amazon to do with as they pleased?

xylene

The OP acted in good faith in trying to resolve a misdelivered package. There is nothing sacred about leaving the package sealed.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Also what kinda stupid complex has duplicate numbers? A postmaster would care about that...
I'd bet there are multiple buildings. Kind of like having "East Main Street" and "West Main Street". The package delivery folks just delivered it to the wrong building.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Bottom line: Don't worry - those folks were just jerks getting in a huff for no reason.

quincy

I agree, Ohiogal.

Although I agree, I also agree there is little likelihood a lawsuit will result because the packages were eventually turned over to the rightful recipients.

The problem I have with this story is that porch-piracy is a big problem throughout the country. Neer-do-wells take packages left for others and, if it is really Amazon's policy to tell those who report "misdirected" packages to keep the items, it seems to me that there is also greater incentive to steal packages delivered to others.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">