• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Package delivered by mistake, owner of the package mad

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

FlyingRon

That is actually wrong, well at least partially. Much of there product is "last mile" delivered by the postal service. They ship to a local post office and postal carriers deliver it to homes.
Depends on where you are and how big it is. In many areas it's UPS all the way. In others, you get an amazon contracted carrier.

quincy

Around here it seems to me that it is almost always UPS. I am not sure I have even seen an Amazon truck.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Around here it seems to me that it is almost always UPS. I am not sure I have even seen an Amazon truck.
It's just the opposite for me - I've seen fewer and fewer UPS deliveries of Amazon items to me, and I'm a pretty big user of Amazon.

(Well, let's just say that, among small fish in a big pond, I'm a little bigger than the minnows.)

quincy

It's just the opposite for me - I've seen fewer and fewer UPS deliveries of Amazon items to me, and I'm a pretty big user of Amazon.

(Well, let's just say that, among small fish in a big pond, I'm a little bigger than the minnows.)
Last year, Amazon started to promote the starting of Amazon delivery service businesses that would use Amazon blue vans and Amazon-uniformed drivers. An Amazon business start-up was estimated by Amazon to be around $10,000.

These businesses would allow Amazon to control deliveries whereas Amazon has previously relied primarily on UPS, FedEx, and the USPS to deliver.

I have seen no blue vans in this area. Perhaps it will be different in the future.

sc5602

thank you all for your replies my mother is really worried that we might go to jail for some reason. I am thinking about showing this to her to reassure her about this problem yhanks again

quincy

thank you all for your replies my mother is really worried that we might go to jail for some reason. I am thinking about showing this to her to reassure her about this problem yhanks again
Your mom should not see any jail (or lawsuit) in her future. :)

I DO suggest, if packages are addressed to a named person or a building in the complex and received by her in error, that she turn them into the complex management. That is one way to avoid confrontations with irate apartment residents.

FlyingRon

Not all the amazon carriers have amazon trucks. When I lived in Northern Virginia, they'd just show up in a car with boxes piled up all over the back seat.

And it's not always just a "misdelivery" by the carrier. I have had properly addressed to my house entire shipments of someone else's orders.
I was able to find the email of the person involved and let them know their order was not coming (and that Amazon just told me to trash what I got).

quincy

Not all the amazon carriers have amazon trucks. When I lived in Northern Virginia, they'd just show up in a car with boxes piled up all over the back seat.

And it's not always just a "misdelivery" by the carrier. I have had properly addressed to my house entire shipments of someone else's orders.
I was able to find the email of the person involved and let them know their order was not coming (and that Amazon just told me to trash what I got).
I would guess that very few Amazon carriers use Amazon logo-stamped vans at this point.

Amazon has hired delivery drivers in the past who use their own cars, although Amazon has leased Amazon vans to drivers. The drivers generally pick up packages from Prime Air cargo plane depositories.

But, again, the area of the country matters. In Michigan, your Amazon delivery will more than likely be coming from UPS, FedEx or the USPS.

Pinkie39

I do a lot of online shopping, including from Amazon. I've had packages for neighbors misdelivered to my house several times by the post office. The mail carrier apparently just glances at the house number and doesn't pay attention to the street name.

I would take the packages with me when my dog and I took our daily walk, and we'd drop them off at their correct addresses. It's just common courtesy.

I used to live in a townhouse complex with fenced back patios that faced out on a parking lot. Delivery people would leave packages on the patios. All the patios looked the same, so I had frequent problems with items I'd ordered online being misdelivered. I don't recall anyone ever returning one of my misdelivered packages to me. It was upsetting.

Be a good neighbor and don't keep packages that don't belong to you.

quincy

I do a lot of online shopping, including from Amazon. I've had packages for neighbors misdelivered to my house several times by the post office. The mail carrier apparently just glances at the house number and doesn't pay attention to the street name.

I would take the packages with me when my dog and I took our daily walk, and we'd drop them off at their correct addresses. It's just common courtesy.

I used to live in a townhouse complex with fenced back patios that faced out on a parking lot. Delivery people would leave packages on the patios. All the patios looked the same, so I had frequent problems with items I'd ordered online being misdelivered. I don't recall anyone ever returning one of my misdelivered packages to me. It was upsetting.

Be a good neighbor and don't keep packages that don't belong to you.
I agree that you should not keep packages belonging to others that are delivered to you by mistake. Honesty and common courtesy are just two reasons for turning the packages over to the intended recipients.

Another reason to not keep mislabeled packages (e.g., different name/your address) is it is not an uncommon tactic used by drug dealers to send illegal drugs through the mail, purposely addressing the packages incorrectly to a neighboring residence.

The neer-do-wells will wait to see if the package has safely avoided seizure, and will check to see if law enforcement is watching the delivery, before they retrieve the packages from the neighboring residents, the neighbors unaware their addresses are being used to distribute illegal drugs.

Last edited:

LdiJ

I agree that you should not keep packages belonging to others that are delivered to you by mistake. Honesty and common courtesy are just two reasons for turning the packages over to the intended recipients.

Another reason to not keep mislabeled packages (e.g., different name/your address) is it is not an uncommon tactic used by drug dealers to send illegal drugs through the mail, purposely addressing the packages incorrectly to a neighboring residence.

The neer-do-wells will wait to see if the package has safely avoided seizure, and will check to see if law enforcement is watching the delivery, before they retrieve the packages from the neighboring residents, the neighbors unaware their addresses are being used to distribute illegal drugs.
I don't disagree with you but those kinds of packages are not going to come in Amazon boxes with Amazon labels. Also, if its possible to redirect an Amazon shipment to the correct person of course that is a very nice thing to do.

However, nice thing to do vs legal requirement is not the same. Once again, if Amazon tells you to discard or keep, that means that Amazon is going to replace the product to the purchaser. That means that if you are actually able to hunt down the purchaser and give it to them, that they are going to get a second shipment from Amazon. In other words, they will get it twice.

quincy

I don't disagree with you but those kinds of packages are not going to come in Amazon boxes with Amazon labels. Also, if its possible to redirect an Amazon shipment to the correct person of course that is a very nice thing to do.

However, nice thing to do vs legal requirement is not the same. Once again, if Amazon tells you to discard or keep, that means that Amazon is going to replace the product to the purchaser. That means that if you are actually able to hunt down the purchaser and give it to them, that they are going to get a second shipment from Amazon. In other words, they will get it twice.
It is true that drug dealers prefer using the USPS.

I believe it would be best in the future for the mom to turn over any misaddressed packages she receives to the intended recipient (if known) or to the apartment complex management office. I know you think differently.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">