• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Painted Apartment - Never used primer - refusing to repaint

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Hawthorne, CA

I have lived in my apartment for 6 years. Impeccable tenants. Never late with rent, never had a complaint of any sort from any of our neighbors.

Before we moved in, the painters did not use primer on our hallway and doors. The property manager even told me that they charged for primer and still did not use it. Since we've moved in, several jackets that hung in hallway closets have been ruined from the paint chips adhering to them and the paint chips track into our nearby kitchen frequently.

I've asked several times for the hallway to be repainted with no response. Do I have any legal action here?

Just Blue

Hawthorne, CA

I have lived in my apartment for 6 years. Impeccable tenants. Never late with rent, never had a complaint of any sort from any of our neighbors.

Before we moved in, the painters did not use primer on our hallway and doors. The property manager even told me that they charged for primer and still did not use it. Since we've moved in, several jackets that hung in hallway closets have been ruined from the paint chips adhering to them and the paint chips track into our nearby kitchen frequently.

I've asked several times for the hallway to be repainted with no response. Do I have any legal action here?
Don't renew the lease and move. Make sure you take pic's/video of the place when you move out.

Don't renew the lease and move. Make sure you take pic's/video of the place when you move out.
We're currently month-to-month. We look often for other apartments, but several factors make us want to stay. It would just be great if we could be treated like valuable tenants in a complex with a high turnaround and problematic renters. We have valid concerns about this paint issue.

The fun thing is, we are due for another annual inspection and the things from the first annual inspection still haven't been fully addressed.

LdiJ

After the first one, why would you continue to put jackets in the same situation?
What I don't understand is how a lack of primer causes paint to chip? My entire house interior has been painted without using primer and its never chipped...and it's been painted MANY times.

After the first one, why would you continue to put jackets in the same situation?
I understand that you don't know much about the layout of my apartment, but this is a ridiculous question and is not at all helpful. It's a hallway closet. It's where we keep our jackets. There are no other places to keep our jackets.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Your language is out of line.
If you KNOW the jackets are going to be damaged, then don't put them in there, or find another way to mitigate the problem.

What I don't understand is how a lack of primer causes paint to chip? My entire house interior has been painted without using primer and its never chipped...and it's been painted MANY times.
It was by their own admittance that they didn't use primer and that was what was causing the chipping, so I'm going by their claim. It's clearly isolated to one area of the apartment (anything associated with the hallway). We don't have this issue with the other areas of our apartment.

Your language is out of line.
If you KNOW the jackets are going to be damaged, then don't put them in there, or find another way to mitigate the problem.
I am TRYING to find another way to mitigate the problem which is why i'm on this forum. What else am I supposed to put in the closet? Other non-clothing items have been damaged by the paint. Just have an empty closet?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Cover your clothing before hanging it.
Get a friction bar and a plastic curtain (like a shower curtain) and hang it on the inside of the closet.

I'm sorry that you can't figure this out...it's not rocket science...even a useless idiot like me can come up with solutions.

I replaced all the drywall in my house and painted it without using a primer. 14 years later no peeling or flaking of any kind anywhere.
Was the primer in your apartment meant to be a sealer for an existing problem such as stains or mold?

reenzz

You can mitigate the problem by buying a can of primer and a can of paint and do the job yourself. Problem solved.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">