• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pamphlets under windshield wipers

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
When someone puts a flyer of some sort on my windshield, I check to make sure it's not a parking ticket (it never is), then I drop it on the back seat and throw it out when I get home. Sometimes I drop it on the ground. (Yes, I am guilty of the crime of littering.) Takes all of a second and a half. Not worth thinking about.

justalayman

When someone puts a flyer of some sort on my windshield, I check to make sure it's not a parking ticket (it never is), then I drop it on the back seat and throw it out when I get home. Sometimes I drop it on the ground. (Yes, I am guilty of the crime of littering.) Takes all of a second and a half. Not worth thinking about.
Principles.

Pamphlets on your windshield are the spam calls and spam emails of the physical world. The offenders need to have their actions quashed and their bodies squashed so they understand what they are doing is more than merely putting crap on my windshield. Their are violating every recipients rights to not have their life intruded upon without being invited and in doing so, have caused each of them to expend their time to deal with the handbill. While it is such a small amount of time for each, collectively it amounts to enough time to complete major projects. Are you actually going to allow anybody to take so much time and pay nothing?

What is this world coming to when we won’t demand our fellow residents of the world have some respect for others. The next thing ya know we will elect a self serving narcissist baffoon as president and we will have to deal with his self aggrandizing actions at our cost and all because it isn’t worth our time to demand what is right.

Oh,,ya, we already have that. Never mind.

And vote so we can get rid of the self aggrandizing baffoon.

Just Blue

Principles.

Pamphlets on your windshield are the spam calls and spam emails of the physical world. The offenders need to have their actions quashed and their bodies squashed so they understand what they are doing is more than merely putting crap on my windshield. Their are violating every recipients rights to not have their life intruded upon without being invited and in doing so, have caused each of them to expend their time to deal with the handbill. While it is such a small amount of time for each, collectively it amounts to enough time to complete major projects. Are you actually going to allow anybody to take so much time and pay nothing?

What is this world coming to when we won’t demand our fellow residents of the world have some respect for others. The next thing ya know we will elect a self serving narcissist baffoon as president and we will have to deal with his self aggrandizing actions at our cost and all because it isn’t worth our time to demand what is right.

IMO pamphlets are not a biggie. But love and agree with everything else. :cool:

quincy

Principles.

Posting "no soliciting" signs is a good start to holding the advertisers accountable. Contacting the owners of the establishment doing the posting can also be effective, if enough people complain.

If an ordinance prohibits the posting of flyers (except in legally designated areas, like public message boards), the police at least have a good way to identify the offenders.

Last edited:

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
This pertains to Alabama, particularly Jefferson County.
I would like to know whether it is legal in this county to put flyers/pamphlets underneath cars. I have seen it done before, so I'm not too worried, but I want to know if it's strictly on the up-and-up around here.
There's only like a million municipalities in JeffCo. Mountain Brook would have you hanged, while Brighton would not care. Fairfield would help you if you paid them.

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I have only so much time to put towards defending principles. Pamphlets under my windshield wiper are not the hill I choose to die on. I'd rather put my efforts into making sure that we can get rid of a certain buffoon at the appropriate time, naming no names. I get home from work at the same time whether there's a flyer on my windshield or not. How other people choose to spend their time, is their business.

quincy

... I'd rather put my efforts into making sure that we can get rid of a certain buffoon at the appropriate time, naming no names. I get home from work at the same time whether there's a flyer on my windshield or not. How other people choose to spend their time, is their business.
Haha. I think your priority is a good one.

justalayman

I have only so much time to put towards defending principles. Pamphlets under my windshield wiper are not the hill I choose to die on. I'd rather put my efforts into making sure that we can get rid of a certain buffoon at the appropriate time, naming no names. I get home from work at the same time whether there's a flyer on my windshield or not. How other people choose to spend their time, is their business.
And when they came for the Jews, I did nothing for I was not a Jew and it didn’t affect me.

When they came for the Catholics I did nothing for I was not a Catholic and it didn’t affect me.

Now they have come for me there are no others left to help.

Now I’m told to rebuke the other classes for the leader has told me they are bad people

Who will help me when I’m the target.

When we ignore a problem, we allow the perpetrator to act outside of the rule of law that allows us to be safe in our own lives.

Ya, it’s little crime but at what level of crime do we sit up and take notice? At what level do we actually act to hold the perpetrator responsible.

I guess it’s ok to ignore crimes we don’t feel warrant our time.

I know some pretty rough people. I have a suspicion there isn’t a crime they feel warrants reporting, but I guess that’s ok because they don’t want to spend their time dealing with it.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You know, I really don't think putting a piece of paper on a windshield is the equivalent of the kind of atrocities that provoked that quote from Martin Niemoller. False equivalency much?

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
And when they came for the Jews, I did nothing for I was not a Jew and it didn’t affect me.

When they came for the Catholics I did nothing for I was not a Catholic and it didn’t affect me.

Now they have come for me there are no others left to help.
That's really running off the deep end with it. :rolleyes: The point of the quote was that when the government commits horrific acts or violates the human rights of others and we do nothing because that group is not "our group" we are complicit in that act or violation and cannot then be surprised when no one helps us in the same situation. Take the plight of the Chinese treatment of the Uighurs. The Chinese government says that the rest of the world should not care because it is an internal Chinese matter. But if we don't care when Uighurs are rounded up into "education camps" because they are Muslims living in China and thus we aren't affected then we commit the same sin of those who knew of German concentration camps and did nothing to stop it. And should the Chinese approach be replicated elsewhere (and China is certainly trying to convince countries to adopt its approach for governing over the Western one) we should not be surprised if eventually we end up also in camps some day if we never speak out.

But gross violations of human rights are far, far from something petty like putting flyers under windshields.

justalayman

You know, I really don't think putting a piece of paper on a windshield is the equivalent of the kind of atrocities that provoked that quote from Martin Niemoller. False equivalency much?
As I said, at what point do we decide something is serious enough to take seriously? You apparently are willing to ignore more law breaking than I.

It isnt a false equivalency. In fact, I never suggested the crimes were equivalent. I believe the quote can be universally applied to all situations where people ignore a wrong since it brings about the same results. If you ignore deminimus crimes, it’s only a matter of time before people are desensitized and accept those violations as “ok”. Then comes a bit worse crime. Oh, it’s not a big deal. It’s not worth spending my time bothering with it.

As each level of acceptance becomes the norm, it allows the next step to be easier to accept as not that big of a deal.

justalayman

But gross violations of human rights are far, far from something petty like putting flyers under windshields.
nice history lesson. Totally irrelevant but nice.

That's really running off the deep end with it. :rolleyes: The point of the quote was that when the government commits horrific acts or violates the human rights of others and we do nothing because that group is not "our group"
. I guess you missed my point then because that is precisely why I used that quote. Obviously the acts are nowhere near comparable with the acts the quote originally spoke of but it is no less meaningful and accurate in the context I used it.

I borrowed those words because they say precisely what I meant. The meaning behind them can apply to all situations where people turn a blind eye to any action that by ignoring it, it allows the improper activities to continue. . Then, at some point, when the action affects them, they find it’s too late because they allowed things to go too far and can’t stop them easily. One of the simplest examples is when people ignored people who were involved in drugs but didn’t bother anybody. Eventually as neighborhoods were subjected to more and more drug activity, many still ignored it because it didn’t affect them. Then, when their house gets broken into they scream and holler about all the junkies and crack heads making the neighborhood a hell hole. Well, welcome to ignorance.

As you can see, many people here consider flyers on your car as acceptable. Whittling away at the rule of law leads us down a scary and bad path.

In addition to that; why bother having laws if people don’t care if they are enforced? It would seem the law is simply a means to harass violators of the cops feel like it. I thought laws were put into place because people were offended by the violation addressed. I guess I was wrong.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If you are really trying to claim that the two are equivalent, then I have nothing further to say as that is simply too absurd to be argued with.

You don't seem to care about your credibility any more, JAL. Shame, that.

justalayman

If you are really trying to claim that the two are equivalent, then I have nothing further to say as that is simply too absurd to be argued with.

You don't seem to care about your credibility any more, JAL. Shame, that.
Seriously, I specifically said the level of grievance is not equivalent.. The quote applies to all situations in its meaning, great and small. It speaks to apathy. Sorry you can’t see that

Maybe that’s why crime is so bad. Too many people willing to ignore it until it affects them. By then it’s hard to reverse course.

Apathy is also why more Democrats didn’t vote. I guess it is ok though. Ya got what ya deserve with trump.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Sorry you can't see how ridiculous you're making yourself look. Particularly since what you're decrying isn't even illegal everywhere.

And I voted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">