• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parent's Legal Rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Hey, who wouldn't be depressed if you didn't know where you were going to live next week, or didn't have enough money to buy a pack of gum. You surely don't expect her to be happy about her life. I know you can all say they made their own bed so they should lie in it. Give me a break. At this point, I think I am going to ask my Bank's Loan Officer for options as well as maybe contacting a local attorney. I would like to thank you for what advice you felt you were giving, good or otherwise. I know you had good intentions . . . but so did I.
The road to a very hot place is paved with 'good intentions'. :cool:

LdiJ

First the girl is under medical care and it is not as "critical" as pointed out. She takes medication for her medical problems. My wife and I agree with what you are saying about them being together. We also think that they should separate but there again they are adults and make their own decisions. The girl says she can't sleep at nights without my grandson with her. She doesn't want to split up. That's their decision and there is nothing short of advise we can do about it. I am sorry if I have come across as a person who hasn't thought this out or one who just wants to profit from someone else misfortune. Believe me that is the farthest from the truth. This whole issue was initiated by her Father's actions and phone call to us that he was done with paying their rent (yes, as long as she was with my grandson) but didn't have any intention of continuing to pay the rent just for her either. The girl definitely need some help financially and otherwise. She has turned to me and like I said before, she doesn't trust her father. I have been doing a little research on my own. I am going to see if she can put the property up as collateral for a loan co-signed by us but with conditions of protections for us.
Again, you do NOT get it. You agree that they shouldn't be together yet you again are intending to enable them to be together with your grandson benefitting (and yourself and the rest of your family by extension) of them being together...in a situation that is virtually doomed to financial failure FOR THE GIRL.

If you do not want to be viewed as a financial predator, its really time to completely bow out of the situation. If your grandson was the one who owned the property I would not be giving you the same advice...but he isn't the one who owns it.

justalayman

joe645;3312103]Hey, who wouldn't be depressed if you didn't know where you were going to live next week,
there is a difference between being depressed and having depression. Which is the issue she is having?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What I don't understand is how OP doesn't see the multitude of ways in which they are wrong and NOT a hero in the story they are writing for themselves. Is this the end of act 1?

I do give *applause* however for a multitude of reasons.

OHRoadwarrior

Bottom line. She and your grandson need to put on their adult panties and take responsibility. If that means unloading a gift at market value because they both refuse to get jobs so be it. They are not going to get an equity loan for much since it will only be a fraction of the actual market value. It sounds like they need to move somewhere they can use their insignificant employment skills, get jobs, rent a cheap apartment and keep paying the taxes on her property. Allowing his grandma to appropriate her property is no better than selling it in a seriously down market.

joe645

I agree that the options, as outlined in this forum, were not sound in the eyes of many of you. Granted, she has to deal with her life as an adult with or without the relationship with my grandson. I agree with all of you regarding the job issue. I certainly would rather see them gainfully employed before making any financial advances for them. The Quickclaim Deed was not thought out completely. My attorney said the most reasonable method for all parties would be to have her put a responsible party on the deed with her to make the best financial move. This way she is not giving up her ownership. Unfortunately, we can't qualify to even help under those conditions as we had our share of financial woes in the past. So, the bottom line is she has to either sell or look to a "hard money lender" and sadly, I know very little about those lenders.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">