• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parking lot accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

frice

CA :
Here's the diagram of the accident. I was going through a parking lot in the direction which was parallel to the street. The parking lot was was divided by the driveway. I stopped by the driveway at the STOP sign. Just as I started moving I noticed a van which just turned off the street into that driveway. As soon as I crossed over to the other side of the parking lot, I felt my car was hit. The damage was to the passenger side quarter panel behind the rear wheel and to the rear bumper. The van was driven by a 77 year old woman. She did not give a turning signal. Her car got scratches in the front corner on the driver's side. It seems at first she didn't realize she hit me, as she said "Did I do that?". There were no witnesses. Later I contacted other party's insurance and they recorded both of our statements and decided it is 30% my fault, which seemed ridiculous. I was told it is final unless there's additional evidence. So I made a diagram above to make it more clear how it happened. I mentioned that the nature of damages clearly shows she hit me when I already crossed the driveway into the parking area. She had several options to evade the collision, such as stopping or turning away where as I had no control of the situation as I was in front in a moving vehicle and I did not expect a collision. Few days later I found out they increased my fault to 50%. So I asked on what basis, and was told it was based on additional evidence. But there was no evidence, besides that diagram which I sent them. From speaking with one of the agents, I got an understanding that the decision might have been due to a diagram. Their conclusion was that I failed to give right of way and did not take any evasive action. This is absolutely absurd as there was no way for evade the collision on my end as I said before. I proceeded to crossing the driveway as I believed I was at a safe distance to do so. So it seems, while I was trying to prove my 0% fault, I got them to go in the opposite direction? Therefore I ended up shooting myself in the foot? I haven't had any accidents and traffic violations in many years and I'm usually good at avoiding situations like these. I feel like she wasn't paying close attention to the action in front of her and made a turn not expecting me to be there in that parking area. Their view is obviously biased, especially regarding the evasive action which is nonsense. They did not take her age into consideration at all. They are siding with her, while ignoring the facts. But what do you guys think? Am I completely out of line here? Is there way to challenge their decision or any other avenues I can pursue? I can't do it through my own insurance as I don't have collision coverage. Thanks.

justalayman

Without hearing both sides of the story I couldn’t fathom a guess as to whose fault it is. Depending on all of the facts I can imagine situations whether either of you could be 100% at fault.

As Zigner stated; if you disagree with their determination your options are to drop it or sue her.

frice

Without hearing both sides of the story I couldn’t fathom a guess as to whose fault it is. Depending on all of the facts I can imagine situations whether either of you could be 100% at fault.
Just out of curiosity how do you see the hypothetical situation where it's my fault?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Just out of curiosity how do you see the hypothetical situation where it's my fault?
I see this as at least 50% your fault, if not more. You had a stop sign, but tried to dart in front of the other driver.

frice

I see this as at least 50% your fault, if not more. You had a stop sign, but tried to dart in front of the other driver.
I did stop at the sign FYI. When I started moving again she just got off the street into that driveway. If she were any closer she would have hit me more towards the middle or the front.

justalayman

The more I look at your diagram, the more I see it as most likely your fault. The distance you had to travel from the stop sign is less than the distance the other driver had to travel once entering the parking lot drive to the point of the collision. That suggests either she was cake flying off the roadway and zoomed up the drive (and we know 77 year old women don’t drive like that) or you pulled out in front of her failing to yield right of way to a vehicle that clearly had right of way.

Your mention of she didn’t use a turn signal shows you did see her. That is even more condemning for you.

I believe you want to stand on the argument she didn’t use her turn signal to indicate she was turning. That actually doesn’t make any difference here. Due to the stop sign for you, you were obligated to yield to her.

So, my call is 100% your fault. She didn’t have to take evasive action and quite likely didn’t have time to anyway.

Your last post really seals the deal. You did see her and failed to yield her to her

Zigner

The one "saving" thing for this guy is that this happened on private property. That's why the other insurance offered 50/50

frice

The more I look at your diagram, the more I see it as most likely your fault. The distance you had to travel from the stop sign is less than the distance the other driver had to travel once entering the parking lot drive to the point of the collision. That suggests either she was cake flying off the roadway and zoomed up the drive (and we know 77 year old women don’t drive like that) or you pulled out in front of her failing to yield right of way to a vehicle that clearly had right of way.

Your mention of she didn’t use a turn signal shows you did see her. That is even more condemning for you.

I believe you want to stand on the argument she didn’t use her turn signal to indicate she was turning. That actually doesn’t make any difference here. Due to the stop sign for you, you were obligated to yield to her.

So, my call is 100% your fault. She didn’t have to take evasive action and quite likely didn’t have time to anyway.

Your last post really seals the deal. You did see her and failed to yield her to her
I did see her as I started moving away from the stop sign, but she was right in the beginning of the drive. You are right, my travelling distance was shorter than hers by roughly about half, maybe a little less. That's why I felt that I was at a safe enough distance to complete crossing, since cars tend to go slow on that drive. I would not have attempted this on the regular road with the given distances. That's why I believe she either wasn't paying attention or was too slow to react. But it was nice to hear an opinion, thanks.

Zigner

I would not have attempted this on the regular road with the given distances.
THAT makes things even worse (if that's possible). You KNEW you were cutting it close, but just assumed that the other driver would drive as you envisioned.

50% is a bargain!

frice

THAT makes things even worse (if that's possible). You KNEW you were cutting it close, but just assumed that the other driver would drive as you envisioned.

50% is a bargain!
You are nitpicking on every word I say. I proceeded, because I believed it was safe, and I assumed that the other driver would be alert and aware of things in front of him, just like you assume the same when you are on the road with cars behind you. Now tell me how I worded the last few sentences wrong and how that proves my fault.

justalayman

So you thought it was safe to pull out in front of another vehicle that had the right of way over you?

Obviously you misjudged the situation and due to your poor judgment, there was an collision.

You were obviously expecting the other driver to take evasive actions to avoid a collision. When the other party has the right of way, it is you who must drive so as to avoid an accident.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">