• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parking within 30ft of Stop Sign in Pennsylvania

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LdiJ

You are playing tit for tat. Quite frankly why would anyone want to help a child like you?
I do not think that is fair in this instance. If he is not permitted by law to park in front of his own home, then no one else should be permitted to do so either. That is not tit for tat, that is both fair, and the law.

If a variance is possible (and its probably not) whatever department in your city that controls the streets would be the department to contact about it.

LeeHarveyBlotto

I do not think that is fair in this instance. If he is not permitted by law to park in front of his own home, then no one else should be permitted to do so either. That is not tit for tat, that is both fair, and the law.
Then the right thing to do would have been to warn the neighbor that he's parking in an illegal spot. Not to be a jerk, but to perform a courtesy to the neighbor.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Last Friday I went up in front of the judge, asked for leniency, and now all is good in the world.

Approximately one week after I posted this thread I saw that my neighbor had parked his own car too close to the stop sign. Called the cops. The officer came and ticketed him and now, again, all is good in the world.

I didn't call the cops because of tit-for-tat but because I saw someone parked too close to a stop sign and as ohiogal would tell you, they were breaking the law -- and that is unacceptable.

Last, question: how do I get a variance?
What makes your situation so unique and special that it merits a variance?

Hint: nothing you've stated.

It doesn't matter that there's no driveway/parking spaces on the property. If you own your home, you could choose to rectify it. If you rent... well, no one forced you to rent there.

You clearly are not complaining about anything other than an inconvenience. The safety of your community trumps your inconvenience.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I suspect the law has been in existence longer than the OP has lived there...just sayin'

LdiJ

Then the right thing to do would have been to warn the neighbor that he's parking in an illegal spot. Not to be a jerk, but to perform a courtesy to the neighbor.
The same neighbor who called the cops on him for illegally parking in the first place? If its a different neighbor I agree.

OP, is there room for a driveway on your property?...or an alley in the back?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
The same neighbor who called the cops on him for illegally parking in the first place? If its a different neighbor I agree.

OP, is there room for a driveway on your property?...or an alley in the back?
How does he know who called the cops on him? And if it was the same person (he knew) then he was playing tit for tat and acting like a child for that action. As well as the rest of what he said in his temper tantrum.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
As far as I know, a "variance" would not apply here. You can't get a variance to exempt you from the state vehicle code.

Either find a new place to live or build a driveway.

francis28

How does he know who called the cops on him? And if it was the same person (he knew) then he was playing tit for tat and acting like a child for that action. As well as the rest of what he said in his temper tantrum.
I know because two months prior when the cops came to check my car, the police officer told me.

I would also add that, with all due respect, the person displaying a hint of a temper--and even rudeness-- is you. When someone asks you for advice the first question you should ask yourself is what should I do if I were in this person's situation? From the get go your comments were cynical and downright contemptuous.

What I did (calling the cops on my neighbor) was fair. Not right, but fair. My neighbor didn't give me a chance to move my car and all I did was extend the same "courtesy" . As far as I'm considered, we're settled. I haven't cared to risk getting another ticket by parking in front of my house, but because other people have always parked there and they continue to do so--and if this makes you feel any better ohiogal, I couldn't care less.

LdiJ: I'm renting the house and unfortunately, not only is there no drive way but there isn't much of an extended property attached to it, so my only option to park right now is on a different block.

As for the variance, I don't care about it anymore. I got both tickets wiped. The law has a funny way of counterbalancing itself.

Look Jesus,.. I can see your house from here

I know because two months prior when the cops came to check my car, the police officer told me.

I would also add that, with all due respect, the person displaying a hint of a temper--and even rudeness-- is you. When someone asks you for advice the first question you should ask yourself is what should I do if I were in this person's situation? From the get go your comments were cynical and downright contemptuous.

What I did (calling the cops on my neighbor) was fair. Not right, but fair. My neighbor didn't give me a chance to move my car and all I did was extend the same "courtesy" . As far as I'm considered, we're settled. I haven't cared to risk getting another ticket by parking in front of my house, but because other people have always parked there and they continue to do so--and if this makes you feel any better ohiogal, I couldn't care less.

LdiJ: I'm renting the house and unfortunately, not only is there no drive way but there isn't much of an extended property attached to it, so my only option to park right now is on a different block.

As for the variance, I don't care about it anymore. I got both tickets wiped. The law has a funny way of counterbalancing itself.

R.O.F.L.M.A.O !!!
oUStANdING!
I'm glad to hear that it all worked out for you.
Good luck when your neighbor figures out who called the cops.

I have a feeling you two will get along just fine..:D
Keep in touch..
..__________________________
~ The difference between faith and insanity is that faith is the ability to hold firmly to a conclusion that is incompatible with the evidence,
whereas insanity is the ability to hold firmly to a conclusion that is incompatible with the evidence. ~ unknown

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">