• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

paying child support tan illegal immigrant

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quincy

If you had children with this trickster then, yes, you are responsible for supporting the children.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Why haven't you divorced the woman? Custody, visitation and child support would have been decided as part of the divorce.

And I don't believe for one second that you weren't aware of her immigration status.

If you had children with this trickster then, yes, you are responsible for supporting the children.
I have been keeping the children half of the time and taking care of them. She quit her job and got a live in boyfriend and now after 5 years of separation she wants child support but is here illegally with no drivers license or car. How can I pay an illegal immigrant money?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I have been keeping the children half of the time and taking care of them. She quit her job and got a live in boyfriend and now after 5 years of separation she wants child support but is here illegally with no drivers license or car. How can I pay an illegal immigrant money?
Don't worry about it - your money can be garnished from your wages by the state and they'll take care of getting her the money. I'm glad that's your only concern, and now that it's out of the way you will happily pay to support the child that you CHOSE to have with this woman.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
An illegal who tricked me into marrying her by making me believe she was here legally
The fact is, you consummated the marriage and have children (plural) with this woman. Therefore, this is not a fake "on paper only" marriage. So don't make an issue of that.

If you are only separated, but have not filed for divorce yet, do so ASAP - like, yesterday. Children born or conceived during the marriage will be considered, legally, your children, unless and until paternity is disestablished. You have a legal (and moral) obligation to support your children.

However, your estranged wife also has an obligation to support her children as well. If her unemployment is voluntary, then her expected contribution to the children's financial support should be based on what she could be earning, based on her prior employment history.

FlyingRon

The conditions involving your marriage are immaterial as is the status of the mother. The only thing that matters is that you have children, residing in the state of NC, that you were the father of. Further, the mother may not even be involved if the child ends up getting public services, the state is pursing reimbursement.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">