• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Petty Theft (CA - Frys Electronics)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CdwJava

If a prospective employer checks local court records, they will probably find it. if they do not check those local court records, they would only find out about it if someone they talk to tells them about it.

the_peanutman

If a prospective employer checks local court records, they will probably find it. if they do not check those local court records, they would only find out about it if someone they talk to tells them about it.
Hey CdwJava,

Thank you for the response. If the company I intend to work for is local, but they use a third party company to conduct the background checks, do you think it is likely that they would check the local courts?

I realize no one can say for certain, but I would love to hear some of your guys' opinions.

ericha1211

Hey Peanutman,
I am very fortunate to come across this forum because a couple days ago, the same exact thing happened to me. I got caught shoplifting at Frys, and when I walked out these undercover guys "jumped" me and etc. So right now I am LITERALLY in your shoes. I am 20 years old and also a college student with a tight financial budget just like you (with a clean record before this). I've been reading this forum for the past 30 minutes so I kinda have an idea of the situation. I appreciate everyone else who has been helping you since the advice will be useful to me as well. Please keep up updated on your situation so I can follow your steps and hope for the best.

And yeah that day was a nightmare... I kept hoping it was a dream; I tried closing my eyes and opening them again, but I was still there in handcuffs in that Fry's office! :confused: I guess that was a "reality check" for me. I have learn my lesson too and wished I haven't done what I did. Well anyway, have a good New Years man and keep in touch.

-Eric

the_peanutman

Hey Peanutman,
I am very fortunate to come across this forum because a couple days ago, the same exact thing happened to me. I got caught shoplifting at Frys, and when I walked out these undercover guys "jumped" me and etc. So right now I am LITERALLY in your shoes. I am 20 years old and also a college student with a tight financial budget just like you (with a clean record before this). I've been reading this forum for the past 30 minutes so I kinda have an idea of the situation. I appreciate everyone else who has been helping you since the advice will be useful to me as well. Please keep up updated on your situation so I can follow your steps and hope for the best.

And yeah that day was a nightmare... I kept hoping it was a dream; I tried closing my eyes and opening them again, but I was still there in handcuffs in that Fry's office! :confused: I guess that was a "reality check" for me. I have learn my lesson too and wished I haven't done what I did. Well anyway, have a good New Years man and keep in touch.

-Eric
Hey Eric,

Thank you for the wishes.

So I just went to court yesterday, and after consulting a very experienced attorney, he was able to talk with the local district attorney at the courthouse who assisted me in reducing the misdemeanor into an infraction. I was required to pay a one time court fee; I am able to overlook the original booking requirement and civil penalty.

Like everyone else on the forum, I would highly recommend you first consult a legal attorney. There are many who offer free consultation, the only thing you risk losing is a few minutes of your time. Originally, I had intended on being stubborn and just "manning" this out on my own without the help of anyone else (even my parnets), but had I done so, I would have never come across this opportunity for a reduction in the charges.

Best of luck Eric, and feel free to ask any questions you have.

Thank you to everyone who took their time to help me through this ordeal. I am grateful for all of the time and efforts you have put in to assist me in the dilemma.

Happy new years everybody.

cyjeff

Hey Eric,

Thank you for the wishes.

So I just went to court yesterday, and after consulting a very experienced attorney, he was able to talk with the local district attorney at the courthouse who assisted me in reducing the misdemeanor into an infraction. I was required to pay a one time court fee; I am able to overlook the original booking requirement and civil penalty.

Like everyone else on the forum, I would highly recommend you first consult a legal attorney. There are many who offer free consultation, the only thing you risk losing is a few minutes of your time. Originally, I had intended on being stubborn and just "manning" this out on my own without the help of anyone else (even my parnets), but had I done so, I would have never come across this opportunity for a reduction in the charges.

Best of luck Eric, and feel free to ask any questions you have.

Thank you to everyone who took their time to help me through this ordeal. I am grateful for all of the time and efforts you have put in to assist me in the dilemma.

Happy new years everybody.
Wait.

Do NOT overlook the civil penalty. That is completely separate from a criminal fine and MUST be paid.

the_peanutman

Wait.

Do NOT overlook the civil penalty. That is completely separate from a criminal fine and MUST be paid.
Gah.. that's what I had originally thought too, but my lawyer suggested that I don't need to pay the civil penalty.

I was originally slightly hesitant too... I emailed my lawyer and am waiting for some clarification.

cyjeff

Gah.. that's what I had originally thought too, but my lawyer suggested that I don't need to pay the civil penalty.

I was originally slightly hesitant too... I emailed my lawyer and am waiting for some clarification.
The civil penalty has nothing to do with your criminal charges.

the_peanutman

The civil penalty has nothing to do with your criminal charges.
Yeah, I understand that now.

Hm.. quite a dilemma. Because I was originally following the lawyer's advice, I refrained from paying. But now the due date has passed, should I wait for them (Frys) to respond or submit the original amount despite the due date?

cyjeff

Yeah, I understand that now.

Hm.. quite a dilemma. Because I was originally following the lawyer's advice, I refrained from paying. But now the due date has passed, should I wait for them (Frys) to respond or submit the original amount despite the due date?
I would call their LP department... NOW.

Before they turn it over to their legal department for collections.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">