• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Please help, I don't know

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LdiJ

Keep in mind that the woman actively denied the (putative) father his place in the child's life. This is per the OP's own post. If he is dad (OP doesn't even know), then I would put the odds of a hyphenated last name at more of the "quite possible" level
Its really going to depend on the judge. Remember, its not about dad or mom, its about the child. Some judges are loathe to change a child's last name when the child is old enough to identify with that last name.

Mom's attitude is appalling but its still not about mom or dad, its about the child.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I am living in Texas and my alleged daughters father is in NC. I was pregnant and contacted him to tell him he was the father. He denied it because he found out I was sleeping with multiple men at the same time we were "dating". He drove to meet me in texas to do a paternity test which I denied after I agreed to it. After he drove back to NC I never really spoke to him again. I got married about a year later and have been ever since. Fast forward 5 years, I filled for child support and waiting on our first meeting with the state. He hasn't contacted anyone yet but I know if he is the father he is going to want custody, be on the birth certificate, my baby girl to have his last name, and me to be within NC so he can co-parent. Honestly, I just want the money and nothing more from him. I am curious what, if any rights he will have. Can he deny establishing parental rights, child support, etc if I wont allow him to get any of the things he wants? He has no idea I went for child support until the notice gets to him.
Wow. I feel sorry for your daughter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">