• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Post office problem

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
You can edit your original post to add in the information about your situation or add a reply to the thread to add it in there.

TKH1957

Sorry! I order sewing patterns from Etsy and Ebay. The sender ships it First Class Mail with tracking. My local post office says it’s not thick enough for tracking and bumps it up to Priority Mail therefore requiring more postage. I have had this happen at least five times. I refused to pay the postage due this time and the sender basically said I was committing fraud. I have no control what my post office does! I wrote a letter to USPS in Washington DC but no response yet. My delivery guy told me other neighbors have had this happen too. I have spoke to my local post office and they won’t do anything. What should I do besides not buying patterns on line?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Sorry! I order sewing patterns from Etsy and Ebay. The sender ships it First Class Mail with tracking. My local post office says it’s not thick enough for tracking and bumps it up to Priority Mail therefore requiring more postage. I have had this happen at least five times. I refused to pay the postage due this time and the sender basically said I was committing fraud. I have no control what my post office does! I wrote a letter to USPS in Washington DC but no response yet. My delivery guy told me other neighbors have had this happen too. I have spoke to my local post office and they won’t do anything. What should I do besides not buying patterns on line?
You should reimburse the seller for the extra expense.

PayrollHRGuy

The tracking service is not available for 1st Class envelope unless they are of the required thickness.

Your options are to pay the extra, talk the seller into not requiring tracking or not buy the patterns. If you do talk them into not requiring tracking not getting it will be on you.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I just re-read the OP. They way I see it now is that the OP has paid the additional postage four times and on the last time, the OP refused to pay the cost so the item was returned to the seller. If that is the case, then what the OP should do is exactly what PayrollHRGuy said.

quincy

Is it the seller who is insisting on tracking the package, or you?

If the seller wants tracking, he needs to start sending the packages Priority Mail so his buyers are not having to pay for extra to receive the packages they ordered.

If you are the one who wants tracking, you should expect to pay extra.

Or find a different seller, as earlier suggested.

TKH1957

I am not requesting tracking. From what my po is telling me is that it isn’t thick enough. They ship it First Class with tracking. I do not state how I want it shipped. The seller does that and then I get asked for extra postage because it ends up going by Priority Mail. I refused the package this time and the seller got irate accusing me of fraud. No more buying pattens off the internet. This has happened through EBay too.

TKH1957

This is what the seller told me:
I have come to the conclusion that you ordered knowing that this would happen, since it has happened so many time before when you order from numerous places.

As such, your order was fraudulent and I should not suffer a financial loss from your actions.

You can: refuse the pattern and I will refund the price of the pattern, minus the $1 restocking fee that is clearly stated on my sales OR pay the extra postage that you knew would be charged and keep the pattern.

I don't care which you do.

Continuing to order patterns, knowing this would happen and expecting the seller to pay the overcharge that your local PO charges is not honest. You are just as guilty as your Post Master by continuing to do this and not correcting the situation thru the proper authorities.

quincy

I am not requesting tracking. From what my po is telling me is that it isn’t thick enough. They ship it First Class with tracking. I do not state how I want it shipped. The seller does that and then I get asked for extra postage because it ends up going by Priority Mail. I refused the package this time and the seller got irate accusing me of fraud. No more buying pattens off the internet. This has happened through EBay too.
Did you tell the seller about the extra charge to buyers for sending the packages the way he has been? Did you tell the seller he should be informing his buyers of this additional charge and it is on HIM, legally, to tell the buyers of all charges and fees related to buying his goods?

You are not committing fraud. But his selling methods are questionable.

I recommend you find another seller.

FlyingRon

Ebay sellers pretty much are required to use some trackable shipment. If they don't they get screwed in a number of ways from eBay and PayPal. I've been there, done that. If the shipping is too much compared to the price of the item, you'll have to buy elsewhere.

Believe me, the SELLER is not benefitting by the increased price. They now pay the ebay fee based on the combined sales price and shipping (it used to be only be the sales price but people were abusing that policy). Selling items that close for $1 on ebay are going to end up being a NET LOSS to the seller.

TKH1957

Did you tell the seller about the extra charge to buyers for sending the packages the way he has been? Did you tell the seller he should be informing his buyers of this additional charge and it is on HIM, legally, to tell the buyers of all charges and fees related to buying his goods?

You are not committing fraud. But his selling methods are questionable.

I recommend you find another seller.
Yes I told the seller. That’s when I got the hateful seller.

quincy

Finding a new person to buy your patterns from is probably your best course of action.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">