• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Prejudicial Action by Property Manager during Covid 19 surge

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rekall

Prejudicial meaning I don't see it the way the manager does. Cleaned my place for annual inspection as required by lease
- Looked fine to me - Manager, who I requested delay the inspection because of the current Covid 19 spike {I don't like letting anyone into my place as almost everyone and anyone one is now a potential carrier} - Manager says don't worry I see no problem with your apartment and will be in and out in 5 minutes - Not true, as manager began to look at place like Sherlock Holmes looking for clues and must have been there at least a half hour - Points some trivial crap like "I could call the wire to appliance on floor a trip hazard"?
Says apartment will have to be re-inspected and she will send me a letter - I call her back shortly after to point our I'm over 70 and classified disabled - Angrily states on phone no desire to discuss issue until she sends letter - Letter comes two days latter skipping other issues mentioned but saying "apartment not up to standards' and needs better cleaning {As described such cleaning would be like making the apt. brand new for next occupant} - Feel like I'm subjected to a malicious act based upon prejudice not understood.
Remember this place is supposed to be only for old and/or disabled people!
Spoke to one lawyer who stated either do what she wants {she suggested I hire professional cleaning service} or move out.
Problem is moving is hard, I'm old and not well - And hiring professional cleaning service requires allowing strangers into apt. which is now specifically not recommended with the current Covid 19 super surge.
She has scheduled re-inspection in about a month when the letter threatens to use cameras to photograph anything they don['t like.
I am old and not well - feel threatened by her and have no where to go right now.
I have already filed a complaint with 'Housing authority' - Any other suggestions ???

Last edited:

Just Blue

Prejudicial meaning I don't see it the way the manager does. Cleaned my place for annual inspection as required by lease
- Looked fine to me - Manager, who I requested delay the inspection because of the current Covid 19 spike {I don't like letting anyone into my place as almost everyone and anyone one is now a potential carrier} - Manager says don't worry I see no problem with your apartment and will be in and out in 5 minutes - Not true, as manager began to look at place like Sherlock Holmes looking fro clues and must have been there at least a half hour - Points some trivial crap like "I could call the wire to appliance on floor a trip hazard"?
Says apartment will have to be re-inspected and she will send me a letter - I call her back shortly after to point our I'm over 70 and classified disabled - Angrily states on phone no desire to discuss issue until she sends letter - Letter comes two days latter skipping other issues mentioned but saying "apartment not up to standards' and needs better cleaning {As described such cleaning would be like making the apt. brand new for next occupant} - Feel like I'm subjected to a malicious act based upon prejudice not understood.
Remember this place is supposed to be only for old and/or disabled people!
Spoke to one lawyer who stated either do what she wants {she suggested I hire professional cleaning service} or move out.
Problem is moving is hard, I'm old and not well - And hiring professional cleaning service requires allowing strangers into apt. which is now specifically not recommended with the current Covid 19 super surge.
She has scheduled re-inspection in about a month when the letter threatens to use cameras to photograph anything they don['t like.
I am old and not well - feel threatened by her and have no where to go right now.
I have already filed a complaint with 'Housing authority' - Any other suggestions ???
What state?

Gail in Georgia

Why don't you wait for the response from the Housing Authority?

The lawyer you spoke with seems to make common sense. If you consider hiring a cleaning service request they wear masks and gloves while doing the cleaning.

Gail

Rekall

The problem is the Covid 19 occurrence and death rates are skyrocketing now nationwide.
I am in a particularly high risk, age and underlying medical conditions, for death by Covid.
According to a doctor I just heard on the news - One is best not letting anyone into one's home while this is going on.
I am going to try to find an attorney willing to arbitrate with management to wait for the current situation to subside.
And then pay for professional cleaning - If they say OK there is no problem.

reenzz

The problem is the Covid 19 occurrence and death rates are skyrocketing now nationwide.
I am in a particularly high risk, age and underlying medical conditions, for death by Covid.
According to a doctor I just heard on the news - One is best not letting anyone into one's home while this is going on.
I am going to try to find an attorney willing to arbitrate with management to wait for the current situation to subside.
And then pay for professional cleaning - If they say OK there is no problem.
[/QUOTE The death rates are NOT skyrocking like you claim. The death rate has actually been steady over the past 8 months.

Rekall

I now remember that during the initial first wave of Covid 19 we received a letter telling us to notify if 'self isolating'
- Actually that is basically what I'm doing - I guess I should bring that up with Housing Authority and/or manager.

Rekall

The Governor of State has told everyone to stay at home if possible and says he may have to reinstate restrictions because of spike in infection rate and deaths.

Rekall

How does this sound? - Email sent to designated 'Senior Coordinator":

Hello xxx xxxx,
xxx {manager} inspected my apartment last week and in her opinion it should be cleaner - Not a problem.
Even though I think it clean enough I have no problem with hiring a professional to make it even cleaner.
But - Right now the Covid 19 epidemic is apparently worse than ever and I have not been going out or letting anyone in my apartment
except xxx to do inspection and xxx pest control. {required for all apts.}
I am 74 with underlying medical conditions which makes me at particular risk for death by Covid infection
So I was wondering if you could ask xxx to temporarily put off re-inspection of my apartment as I don't want to let others in until the pandemic slows or the new vaccine, which I should qualify for because of age, becomes available - Then I will allow professional cleaning and re-inspection.
Meantime any specific problem that she is concerned with that I may address myself - Let me know.
Thank you,
xxx xxx
Apt. #, xxx Apartments

quincy

I know that in Michigan, where infection rates are high and increasing daily, the majority of landlords are postponing all inspections and work on rental units unless it is an emergency - and in an emergency situation, then everyone (tenants and workers alike) must be masked and maintain social distancing recommendations.

I think unnecessary inspections and work on units right now are just that - unnecessary.

But, every landlord in every state will operate differently. All you can do is follow your lease terms and landlord directives or possibly face non-renewal of lease or eviction.

You can insist all who enter your unit wear masks and gloves and you can either look for a safe place outside your unit to settle until the work is completed or perhaps designate one room in your unit as a “safe zone” that no one else can enter, and stay there while the cleaners clean.

Rekall

You really need to read, and understand your lease. Does the lease state what constitutes a "failed" inspection? Does the lease allow for a re inspection?
The 23 page long lease - which I ignorantly sighed because person signing me in would not let me read it first and started walking away unless I just went along with sign in - A lawyer has already told me they will lie and say they gave you plenty of time to read it - I have not doubt that the lease has clauses in it that allow for any freakin thing they dreamt up to negate any constitutional rights you might have had before you moved into their modified excuse for a new age prison.

A 'control freak' is a control freak, is a control freak - Government jobs appeal to them - Only place they can find a home for their control freak mentality and where they use government to back them up.

Of course in this state, Nevada, landlords are given all the rights in the world over tenants anyway
- Yes, there is a tenants rights center but very difficult to get in contact with - And they are always busy - Probably taking eminent evictions first.

I almost bought an old mobile home in a park before moving here - Should have - But I qualified for very low HUD rental rates for apts. so I thought that was best option - It wasn't - Free is not cheap enough if you have to live
and die sooner because of some sick bureaucrat who is taking their illness out on you.

I used to love the motto on New Hampshire license plates:

"Live Free or Die"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">