• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Privacy Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

swalsh411

Oh for crying out loud his employer is not monitoring his personal phone. Why are you all even humoring this paranoid OP? It was funny at first but to think any of the senior posters here are taking this question seriously is laughable.

justalayman

Some of us lead a dull boring life and this gives us purpose.

Geez guy, I learn for my own purposes by doing research for questions posed here.

eerelations

ivanl3;3209312...Care to answer the direct question that was posed in the original post?[/QUOTE said:
Care to come clean and admit that this isn't about you, it isn't a hypothetical, that it's really about your nephew-who-is-sometimes-a-niece?

Esteemed Colleagues, I reco we wait until OP's nephew-who-is-sometimes-a-niece starts his-her own thread. Then we can get all the crucial information we need to formulate an accurate response.

Mass_Shyster

The exclusionary rule prohibits the government from using evidence illegally obtained by the police against the defendant in a court of law. I am not aware of any law that prohibits an employer from using illegally obtained evidence against an employee for disciplinary reasons.

The government is free to use evidence that was illegally obtained by a non-government agent against the defendant, so I doubt there is any law prohibiting an employer from using illegally obtained evidence in a disciplinary proceeding against an employee.

If there is a law that prohibits the cell phone company from using that information, the same law would describe what recourse, if any, the victim has.

ivanl3

Ok, sounds like most agree that this type of monitoring is illegal. But it is not illegal to use this illegally obtained info as a basis for discipline. But it also sounds like the company is opening itself to a civil suit by doing so.

Thanks again to Q for pointing to the place that lead me the answer that this type of monitoring is illegal.

justalayman

actually, it has not been established that anything they are doing is illegal because you do not know what they are actually doing. At best you suspect something.

ivanl3

Ok, sounds like most agree that this type of monitoring is illegal. But it is not illegal to use this illegally obtained info as a basis for discipline. But it also sounds like the company is opening itself to a civil suit by doing so.

Thanks again to Q for pointing to the place that lead me the answer that this type of monitoring is illegal.

justalayman

again, you do not even know what "type of monitoring" they are doing. You are, at best, guessing. Unless they read an actual personal communication or listen in on a phone call, it is quite likely what they are doing is not illegal. They can monitor sites visited and the like without breaking the law.

Oh, and if you are considering a suit; you have to be able to outright prove they are illegally monitoring your traffic. Speculation won't cut it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">