• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pulled over after buying drugs, not searched and let go. In trouble?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

808StateBoy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Hawaii

I apologize if this post doesn't conform to the forum's rules, this is my first post and I joined specifically to ask this question. I'm going to use "allegedly" just to be safe, not sure if it is really necessary.

I parked my moped (scooter) illegally on the sidewalk, walked over to some people and allegedly asked them if they had any heroin for sale. One of them (Person A) said yes they did, and I allegedly gave her some money and she told me to wait. She got in a car that was parked nearby and I stood outside waiting for about 5 min. Person A then told me to follow her friend (Person B), who got out of the car they were both in and skateboarded across the street about 50 feet away. Person A drove away and left the area. Person B talked to another lady (Person C), I'm assuming to give the money I allegedly gave to Person A to Person C for the heroin. While this was happening I briefly spoke to a Person D, who asked what I was trying to buy. I told him (Person D) that I was already being taken care of. Then Person B allegedly gave me a small baggie of heroin that I assume was bought from Person C. I walked back over to my moped and started to drive away, with the alleged heroin in my pocket. When I turned a corner an unmarked police car with two officers (I forget if they were in uniform) inside pulled up next to me and instructed me to pull over on the next street. One of the officers told me that I had parked my moped illegally, but that wasn't the reason he wanted to talk to me. The other officer ran my driver's license and checked to see if the moped was registered to me (which it is) and wasn't stolen (which obviously it isn't). The first officer asked me some questions like what I was doing there and why I had been handing money and receiving small packages with those people. I played dumb and just said I didn't know. The first officer talked to me about how I was in a dangerous area and the people he had seen me talking to were known to be drug dealers and that they were connected in some way to a fatal shooting that had occurred a few weeks prior. He also said that he hadn't seen me before and that I was "useless" to him because he was after "bigger fish", I'm guessing he meant dealers and their regular customers. He said that they had me on video making a hand-to-hand transaction with the man I referred to as Person D earlier. If you recall, even in my "alleged" scenario I definitely did not make a deal of any kind with Person D. The officer said they would review the tape and if they saw a hand-to-hand transaction take place a police officer would "pick me up". He asked what I was doing in the area, and I truthfully responded that I worked nearby and I was on my way to a college class at the local University. He kept saying stuff like that I seemed like a normal guy and that I needed to make better life choices (no arguments from me there!), and then they gave me back my license and I drove away to class.

Am I in trouble? They didn't search me, didn't write me a ticket or anything. I'm scared that they will look at some video (not sure if the video actually exists) in the coming days and some police officer will show up at my house and arrest me. What should I do, what should I expect? Sorry for about the long post and thank you so much for reading it all.

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Hawaii

I apologize if this post doesn't conform to the forum's rules, this is my first post and I joined specifically to ask this question. I'm going to use "allegedly" just to be safe, not sure if it is really necessary.

I parked my moped (scooter) illegally on the sidewalk, walked over to some people and allegedly asked them if they had any heroin for sale. One of them (Person A) said yes they did, and I allegedly gave her some money and she told me to wait. She got in a car that was parked nearby and I stood outside waiting for about 5 min. Person A then told me to follow her friend (Person B), who got out of the car they were both in and skateboarded across the street about 50 feet away. Person A drove away and left the area. Person B talked to another lady (Person C), I'm assuming to give the money I allegedly gave to Person A to Person C for the heroin. While this was happening I briefly spoke to a Person D, who asked what I was trying to buy. I told him (Person D) that I was already being taken care of. Then Person B allegedly gave me a small baggie of heroin that I assume was bought from Person C. I walked back over to my moped and started to drive away, with the alleged heroin in my pocket. When I turned a corner an unmarked police car with two officers (I forget if they were in uniform) inside pulled up next to me and instructed me to pull over on the next street. One of the officers told me that I had parked my moped illegally, but that wasn't the reason he wanted to talk to me. The other officer ran my driver's license and checked to see if the moped was registered to me (which it is) and wasn't stolen (which obviously it isn't). The first officer asked me some questions like what I was doing there and why I had been handing money and receiving small packages with those people. I played dumb and just said I didn't know. The first officer talked to me about how I was in a dangerous area and the people he had seen me talking to were known to be drug dealers and that they were connected in some way to a fatal shooting that had occurred a few weeks prior. He also said that he hadn't seen me before and that I was "useless" to him because he was after "bigger fish", I'm guessing he meant dealers and their regular customers. He said that they had me on video making a hand-to-hand transaction with the man I referred to as Person D earlier. If you recall, even in my "alleged" scenario I definitely did not make a deal of any kind with Person D. The officer said they would review the tape and if they saw a hand-to-hand transaction take place a police officer would "pick me up". He asked what I was doing in the area, and I truthfully responded that I worked nearby and I was on my way to a college class at the local University. He kept saying stuff like that I seemed like a normal guy and that I needed to make better life choices (no arguments from me there!), and then they gave me back my license and I drove away to class.

Am I in trouble? They didn't search me, didn't write me a ticket or anything. I'm scared that they will look at some video (not sure if the video actually exists) in the coming days and some police officer will show up at my house and arrest me. What should I do, what should I expect? Sorry for about the long post and thank you so much for reading it all.
If/when you are arrested and charged, find a criminal defense attorney in your area to assist you with your defense. DO NOT SPEAK TO THE POLICE! Exercise your right to remain silent and refer all questions to your attorney.

Buying heroin is not smart. Buying it through several different unknown people on the street is downright stupid. I suspect you may have police knocking on your door before long.

Good luck.

LdiJ

If/when you are arrested and charged, find a criminal defense attorney in your area to assist you with your defense. DO NOT SPEAK TO THE POLICE! Exercise your right to remain silent and refer all questions to your attorney.

Buying heroin is not smart. Buying it through several different unknown people on the street is downright stupid. I suspect you may have police knocking on your door before long.

Good luck.
On top of that get rid of anything on your person or in your home that might be illegal, because if they do come after you they will have a search warrant with them. If you are really taking heroine reach out to someone for help now, before things get worse. You need rehab.

808StateBoy

Thanks for the responses. Do you have any idea why they didn't search me at the time?

quincy

Thanks for the responses. Do you have any idea why they didn't search me at the time?
No. Perhaps they wanted to continue their surveillance. Perhaps they wanted to get a search warrant. Perhaps the exchanges were videotaped and they wanted to view the tapes. All sorts of possibilities.

You just have to wait to see what happens, I guess. LdiJ's suggestion to "clean house" is a pretty good suggestion. Her suggestion to clean your body of drugs is a better one.

Good luck.

Mass_Shyster

Do you have any idea why they didn't search me at the time?
If I were to guess, I'd say that they didn't actually witness a hand to hand transaction, so did not have probable cause to search you. You were parked illegally, so they had reasonable suspicion to investigate further (google Terry Stop for more info).

Consider yourself lucky, and please try to get some help to kick your addiction. I've lost several clients to overdoses this year.

808StateBoy

Again thank you guys for your concern, advice, and responses. Is there any chance that nothing will come of this? Or am I definitely going to be charged? Or is it impossible to say for sure? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

LdiJ

Again thank you guys for your concern, advice, and responses. Is there any chance that nothing will come of this? Or am I definitely going to be charged? Or is it impossible to say for sure? Any information would be greatly appreciated.
There is a chance that nothing will come of this. There is a chance that something might come of this. There is no guarantee either way until the statute of limitations has expired.

quincy

There is always that chance.

808StateBoy

You can't be serious asking this. Do you think anyone here is clairvoyant or reads minds? Maybe you think the ole Magic 8 Ball is legit. :rolleyes:

Are you seriously asking if I believe that someone out there has magical abilities? No I don't believe that you guys are clairvoyant. It's possible that I was using hyperbole as a means to seek a negative response because Im very worried about my situation . Thanks for the thoughtful reply, really helpful.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Your question hardly seemed to be rhetorical or hyperbole.

Worrying about being arrested goes hand in hand with being a user and buyer of illegal drugs. Too bad for you.

If you get approached by the police about this then shut up and get an attorney. If not, then move on with your life. No one here can soothe your poor feelings of worry and dread.

808StateBoy

Actually, everyone (besides you) who posted helped to soothe my feelings quite a bit, thanks again everyone!

Anyway, it has been ~10 months and I haven't heard anything from the police, so I think I'm in the clear. I posed this question because I wanted to get an idea of how likely it would be that I would run into legal trouble. I had searched this site and others to try to find an answer, but ended up finding nothing. So, if you were in a similar situation and are looking for answers, this is what I have to say: If you're in Hawaii, and had an encounter with the police similar to the one I had, then I'd say you're probably not going to get arrested. However this is just one "data point", so it is impossible to extrapolate a trend.

Also, to LdiJ and Stevef: I sincerely thank you for your concerns about my health, but not everyone who does drugs is an addict. I buy H only a few times a year. I'm not saying that I think that it is OK to ever do heroin, or that you're incorrect in saying that I should make life changes, I'm just saying that I'm not an addict. That is an important distinction that I wish more people, especially those involved in legal matters, would recognize. I had a friend about 5 years ago and we both used heroin about once a month. One day he was smoking it in his car alone and got arrested, and they made him go to NA meetings and rehab for 6 months as part of his sentence. At the NA meetings and in rehab he met real addicts, and after they all "graduated" from the treatment program they stayed in touch (this is advised by the treatment center to create "support network"). Eventually one of the druggies he had made friends with relapsed, and my friend started doing drugs with him. Now my friend is a full-blown addict and I blame it on this idea that people have that anyone who does drugs must be an addict. Considering how much of a problem opiates are becoming, I think it is important that people stop thinking in such black and white terms and really try to understand the nuances of drug use. Especially those involved in the legal sphere.

laurakaye

Are you seriously asking if I believe that someone out there has magical abilities? No I don't believe that you guys are clairvoyant. It's possible that I was using hyperbole as a means to seek a negative response because Im very worried about my situation . Thanks for the thoughtful reply, really helpful.
Heroin never has a happy ending. I say this as a mom who would be devastated to lose a child. If you need help overcoming an addiction, please get help. I mean this in the kindest possible way.

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
Eventually one of the druggies he had made friends with relapsed, and my friend started doing drugs with him. Now my friend is a full-blown addict and I blame it on this idea that people have that anyone who does drugs must be an addict.
You're blaming the wrong thing, here. Your friend CHOSE to use heroin, one of the most physically addictive drugs out there. He played Russian roulette and sadly, lost.

Don't get me wrong -- there's much wrong with how we handle drug offenders in this country. I'd rather us focus on treatment rather than incarceration. However, I worked with addicts -- many of them who thought they could be weekend users forever.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">