• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Recording Step Son's conversations with His Mom

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

aparent2

You know this happened with my daughter and her father in the past. She went to therapy and it helped so much. Also the father went to therapy and learned how it is damaging to a child to instill doubt in them about either parent.

I read you already have your child speaking with a school counselor, but what about a private therapist? Usually they like both parents to attend and you may be able to solve this issue in therapy.

I would not eavesdrop on the child, it's bad enough one parent is being damaging. The child doesn't need to then have the added weight of invasion of privacy. Then the poor child will have a vindictive mother and an intrusive father, and where does that leave the child? That's just my opinion.

Just for the record, I am not a bitter, rude or overstepping step parent.. I know you were saying in general, but I am there for the child 500 times more than his own mother ever has been.. The child lives under mine & my husband's roof 97% of the time. I help make sure he is fed, bathed, clothed, off to school, take him to boy scouts, go with my husband to his parent teacher conferences, and was there the entire custody case. I know my name is not on the custody agreement, but my name is on the marriage license my husband and I have. So in our house, it is WE.

Last edited:

BelizeBreeze

StepMomInGA said:
Just for the record, I am not a bitter, rude or overstepping step parent.. I know you were saying in general, but I am there for the child 500 times more than his own mother ever has been.. The child lives under mine & my husband's roof 97% of the time. I help make sure he is fed, bathed, clothed, off to school, take him to boy scouts, go with my husband to his parent teacher conferences, and was there the entire custody case. I know my name is not on the custody agreement, but my name is on the marriage license my husband and I have. So in our house, it is WE.
And just for the record, if you walk into court with that attitude, you could very well cost your husband CUSTODY. So, you decide what's more important. Your pride or the law.

BelizeBreeze said:
And just for the record, if you walk into court with that attitude, you could very well cost your husband CUSTODY. So, you decide what's more important. Your pride or the law.
I wouldn't have an attitude in court, just like I didn't when we gained custody of my step son.. And really, if I did, I'm sure it wouldn't cost my husband custody. My step son's mother lost custody of him because of her lifestyle and how she was not there for her child in the first place. My pride is in raising a child that I love very much regardless if he is mine or not..

mharding

BelizeBreeze said:
Not without informed consent, which you would have learned about if you had performed a search of this site as you were told to do on EVERY page at the top where the instructions are located.
Funny you should mention that, because I believe it also says at the top of EVERY page to be civil on here. Clearly you are one of those, "The rules apply to everyone but me" people.

Last edited:
StepMomInGA said:
As I was saying most of the step-parents the people on here have dealt with are all those things. I also have my step-daughter 97% of the time b/c of her bio moms life choices. I treat my step-daughter as my own and can't imagine I could love a blood child more (I have yet to have any). If you look up my name you will see I started with the same arguments but using "we" and "us" clouds the issue on here which is seeking legal advice. I commend you for all you do for your step-child and understand completely the way you feel, but in order to get your questions answered quickly and efficiently you may want to drop the we and us.

SMURFEELAW said:
As I was saying most of the step-parents the people on here have dealt with are all those things. I also have my step-daughter 97% of the time b/c of her bio moms life choices. I treat my step-daughter as my own and can't imagine I could love a blood child more (I have yet to have any). If you look up my name you will see I started with the same arguments but using "we" and "us" clouds the issue on here which is seeking legal advice. I commend you for all you do for your step-child and understand completely the way you feel, but in order to get your questions answered quickly and efficiently you may want to drop the we and us.
I did go back and read your old posts.. Thanks for the support.. It also looks that our past situations are pretty close. So your husband did get custody of the little girl? My step son is almost 10 and he is starting to put it all together now. It's pretty sad. He is such a good boy when he is with us (with the exception on normal little boy stuff). When he was with her, all she did was complain about how bad of a boy he was. He also told her every day that he wanted to live with us. Bio-mom also had many many live in boyfriends. One was even convicted of drug dealing. The men would "spank" the child, and was allowed by the mom. There were lots of other reasons of the court decision though...

I would think that the answer to this question depends entirely on if you are recording the conversation because you intend to use it in court or if you are recording it for personal purposes to see if the mother is "bad-mouthing" you. If you don't intend to use it in court, well then of course you are at liberty. If your only purpose is to try to uncover the reasons your son my be misbehaving and then find another way to resolve it (other than presenting the taped conversations in court) I can't really see a legal problem.

Shawna

ikecvfd2

stepmom&mom said:
I would think that the answer to this question depends entirely on if you are recording the conversation because you intend to use it in court or if you are recording it for personal purposes to see if the mother is "bad-mouthing" you. If you don't intend to use it in court, well then of course you are at liberty. If your only purpose is to try to uncover the reasons your son my be misbehaving and then find another way to resolve it (other than presenting the taped conversations in court) I can't really see a legal problem.

Shawna
I'm sorry but you are incorrect. No matter what your reason is, it is not legal anywhere to record a conversation if neither people gave conscent, unless you are law enforcement with a warrant or something. If she recorded it even for personal reasons and it was discovered she could be charged. As stealth said, whether or not it is admissable in court is another issue that does not affect this issue.

stepmom&mom said:

Shawna

Say the phone conversations WOULD be recorded and Bio Mom was indeed "bad mouthing" us. My husband would like to have used it for contempt and modification. I found out that it would not work with a judge though from our old lawyer as evidence. I did find on a site that for GA if a child could be recorded if there could be some type of danger or some illegal activities going on with the child.

Last edited:

BelizeBreeze

stepmom&mom said:

Shawna
BULL CRAP! The recording of a conversation has been discussed on this site adnauseum. And you should know that being as you have been kicked off before.

A recording in a one-party state requries the permission or acknowledgment of at least one part.

A recording in an all-party state requires the permission or acknowledgment of all parties to the conversation

A recording IN ANY state of a third-party conversation requires a wiretapping warrant signed by a judge and ONLY after probable cause.

A recording of a call received in a one-party state but originating from an all-party state is required to follow the stricter of the state laws, which, in this case would require the consent or acknowledgement of all parties.

A recording of a child with another party when the other party does not consent requires 'informed consent' of the child and when the child is not of a sufficient age (as judged by a court) to give that informed concent, is illegal without a warrant duly signed and executed.

NOW GET IT RIGHT!

Belize~

You may possibly have me confused with someone else. I've never been kicked off of this sight before. Actually, I'm relatively new. Here's a link to an article from the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers that may provide some insight on this issue. For laws regarding wiretap issues...the statues or unclear or exempted in the case of a minor per the opinions offered by the courts in the listed court cases. Of course, no matter what, you may want to check with a lawyer first, but it is a consideration.

http://www.aaml.org/Articles/2002-3/Davis-Actual Consent of Minor Child.htm

Shawna

Shay-Pari'e

stealth2 said:
The law doesn't give a FF about "your" house. Legally, there is no WE. In short, you are irrelevant.
I doubt she will ever get it. Recording a ten year old boy speaking to his MOTHER is hurtful. Who cares what she say's about you? As he get's older he will figure things out all on his own. Emotionally mature people raise children with respect for their boundaries, empathy and honest communication - which takes a lot more time than trying to control them. And in their adult relationships they are free to express their real feelings honestly to others without resorting to manipulating others. Ring a Bell?

BelizeBreeze

stepmom&mom said:
Belize~

You may possibly have me confused with someone else. I've never been kicked off of this sight before. Actually, I'm relatively new. Here's a link to an article from the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers that may provide some insight on this issue. For laws regarding wiretap issues...the statues or unclear or exempted in the case of a minor per the opinions offered by the courts in the listed court cases. Of course, no matter what, you may want to check with a lawyer first, but it is a consideration.

http://www.aaml.org/Articles/2002-3/Davis-Actual Consent of Minor Child.htm

Shawna
And I suggest you read the FCC regulations and each and every state statute. I'm not going to argue with you simply because you have no idea of what you speak.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">