• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Recreating Accounting Records for Filing Back Taxes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LdiJ

You may be right, but I get the impression that, while on the surface it may seem like bookkeeping, the OP is actually going to dive deeper in to this.
As long as he documents whatever he does that isn't pure data entry (and bookkeepers do, do things other than pure data entry) so that the tax pro knows how figures were derived, its no problem. If the tax pro is comfortable with any reasonable method he used to recreate things, then its fine. If the tax pro is not comfortable, then the tax pro will either disallow some things or will come up with a different reasonable method.

LdiJ

Thank you everyone for your advice and opinions. Zigner is correct, I am probably not the person for this job. I understand the fear in taking this on as an inexperienced person. He has been to several CPA's and they have all told him to get his records together, which is what he is paying me to do. So, I am just doing bookkeeping. I am invoicing him as a 1099 employee for data entry, and I am actively looking for a CPA to work for as well. Can someone explain how I am risking my career, so I can use the reasons to convince him to hire a CPA's bookkeeper instead of paying me?
You are absolutely, positively NOT risking your career at all. I am a tax pro and accountant and please believe me that this is no risk to you at all. As I said, you will want to document anything that you could not come up with without using alternate means, so that the tax pro who eventually does the return knows how you came up with things, but otherwise, you are FINE to do this.

LdiJ

The risks are best outlined for you by one of your accounting professors.

All accountants have an obligation to report financial situations accurately and to hold confidential all of the financial and personal information they work with.

Fumbling either can open up the accountant to both civil and criminal liability.

The task, with the elderly person's financial and tax data dating back several years, is best handled by an experienced, licensed and insured CPA.
A licensed and insured CPA will NOT take on a bookkeeping job, or if they do, they will charge an absurd amount of money for doing it. Most tax pros won't do bookkeeping either. They will often handle the final details of the books, but not the minutiae.

OP, none of the people who are telling you that you have all this risk are people that have any involvement in accounting or bookkeeping.

Please do speak to one of your professors. Ask them if there is any risk of civil or criminal liability if you take on a bookkeeping job. As long as you don't embezzle funds, or otherwise steal from your employer they will tell you that there is NO risk to you.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
A licensed and insured CPA will NOT take on a bookkeeping job, or if they do, they will charge an absurd amount of money for doing it. Most tax pros won't do bookkeeping either. They will often handle the final details of the books, but not the minutiae.

OP, none of the people who are telling you that you have all this risk are people that have any involvement in accounting or bookkeeping.

Please do speak to one of your professors. Ask them if there is any risk of civil or criminal liability if you take on a bookkeeping job. As long as you don't embezzle funds, or otherwise steal from your employer they will tell you that there is NO risk to you.
As a further to this, make sure you get a clear definition on what is bookkeeping vs. something more.

LdiJ

As a further to this, make sure you get a clear definition on what is bookkeeping vs. something more.
The something more is generally calculating accruals, amortization and depreciation. Traditionally something more also included financial statements but quickbooks and other financial software do that now. Although if a tax pro adjusts the books for whatever reason they would like instruct what changes to make in quickbooks to correct the financial statements. Its still not a bad idea to confirm that with one of his professors.

Again though, the biggest way to ensure that anything potentially controversial is reviewed by a tax pro, is to document how the figures were derived.

quincy

A review of Washington's consumer protection laws as they relate to accountancy and related skills would be wise and is advised. This in addition to asking one of your professors about the wisdom of doing work for the elderly man.

LdiJ

A review of Washington's consumer protection laws as they relate to accountancy and related skills would be wise and is advised. This in addition to asking one of your professors about the wisdom of doing work for the elderly man.
Accountingstudent PLEASE talk to one of your professors. I know for certain that I have given you accurate advice but you won't be certain of that until you get advice away from this forum.

Quincy, this thread is a perfect example of what I have discussed with you prior to this.

quincy

Accountingstudent PLEASE talk to one of your professors. I know for certain that I have given you accurate advice but you won't be certain of that until you get advice away from this forum.

Quincy, this thread is a perfect example of what I have discussed with you prior to this.
Well, it is an example of you assuring a poster that there is "absolutely, positively" no risk - and me cautioning that there can be. ;)

There is specific insurance offered by insurance companies for bookkeepers and accountants for a reason - and it is not because there is absolutely, positively no risk. Errors and Omissions insurance covers bookkeepers and accountants if they make a mistake or mishandle someone's financial records, causing harm to that person.

As I advised earlier in this thread, and as you apparently agree, AccountingStudent should speak to one of his professors before helping the elderly man.

Whoops2u

There is specific insurance offered by insurance companies for bookkeepers and accountants for a reason - and it is not because there is absolutely, positively no risk. Errors and Omissions insurance covers bookkeepers and accountants if they make a mistake or mishandle someone's financial records, causing harm to that person.
There's insurance out there that covers both accountants in their professional duties AND bookkeepers?

OP, look to the many sites out there to help bookkeepers starting their own businesses. Insurance is certainly discussed. It is not universally recommended. The needs both in liability and risk of a professional like an accountant is far different from that of a bookkeeper. The main thing you can do to reduce risk is not sign any checks. Even a bookkeeper can get caught up with trust fund taxes if they're not paid. Other than that, behave ministerially and leave the decisions to others.

LdiJ

Well, it is an example of you assuring a poster that there is "absolutely, positively" no risk - and me cautioning that there can be. ;)

As I advised earlier in this thread, and as you apparently agree, AccountingStudent should speak to one of his professors before helping the elderly man.
There's insurance out there that covers both accountants in their professional duties AND bookkeepers?

OP, look to the many sites out there to help bookkeepers starting their own businesses. Insurance is certainly discussed. It is not universally recommended. The needs both in liability and risk of a professional like an accountant is far different from that of a bookkeeper. The main thing you can do to reduce risk is not sign any checks. Even a bookkeeper can get caught up with trust fund taxes if they're not paid. Other than that, behave ministerially and leave the decisions to others.
Just to clarify a bit, if a bookkeeper does not have the authority to sign checks, the bookkeeper cannot be held responsible for non-payment of trust fund taxes. Why?, because if the bookkeeper does not have the authority to sign checks, the bookkeeper has no ability to pay the trust fund taxes.

quincy

There's insurance out there that covers both accountants in their professional duties AND bookkeepers? .. .
Yes. One link to information (out of many): https://fitsmallbusiness.com/cpa-insurance-for-accountants/

Bookkeepers and accountants are both handling sensitive financial information which, if disclosed to others, can result in legal actions being taken against them. This, plus errors made by a bookkeeper or accountant, is good reason for insurance coverage.

A lawsuit can put a crimp in a career.

Whoops2u

Yes. One link to information (out of many): https://fitsmallbusiness.com/cpa-insurance-for-accountants/

Bookkeepers and accountants are both handling sensitive financial information which, if disclosed to others, can result in legal actions being taken against them. This, plus errors made by a bookkeeper or accountant, is good reason for insurance coverage.

A lawsuit can put a crimp in a career.
Just because a company will sell different types of insurances to different types of people does not mean a policy covers both. They both have different risk profiles. Any bookkeeper who pays for professional accounting insurance is a fool as he paid too much; as is the reverse as the accountant will have a lot left uncovered.

But, again, OP ask your professors and look around the internet for people who know about the bookkeeping business. I think you'll find most feel bookkeeping is not a high-risk profession.

Edited to add, did you see how the website you linked makes money? They are a marketing company who profits when people buy from one of the links supplied. They make nothing if no one clicks on their links to buy insurance.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I don't think that quincy was implying that a bookkeeper and an accountant would be covered by the same policy type, rather, he was stating that errors and omissions policies are available for both.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">