• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Registering With A Suspended Registration

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kelsdooger

I have a California driver license, but bought, registered and insured my vehicle in NYS. Before moving back to Ca., my registration was suspended for lack of insurance, which was an oversight on my part. Since this has happened once with 36 months (NYS is very strict about this I was told), I cannot pay a fine, but have to turn my plates in for 40 days? Can I register my vehicle in Ca. while having the suspension on my plates in NY?

PayrollHRGuy

Does NY not flag the VIN as being a suspended registration in the national database? What good is the process of suspending a registration if a driver can just go across state lines and register there?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Does NY not flag the VIN as being a suspended registration in the national database? What good is the process of suspending a registration if a driver can just go across state lines and register there?
Even if they do that, the owner is still responsible.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Heck, OP should also wonder if their license is suspended in addition to registration. S/he should really read: DMV NY and check out the

If the insurance issue has been rectified, the auto registration should be an easy enough fix. (I'm not going to look up fines, etc.) The car is not a criminal, so the issue with registration should be just getting it legally drivable - which includes insurance, doing the paperwork and paying fines.

However, having your license suspended for lack of insurance would (and should) carry over to CA. And I cannot see why the registration would be suspended but not the license.

kelsdooger

Heck, OP should also wonder if their license is suspended in addition to registration. S/he should really read: DMV NY and check out the

If the insurance issue has been rectified, the auto registration should be an easy enough fix. (I'm not going to look up fines, etc.) The car is not a criminal, so the issue with registration should be just getting it legally drivable - which includes insurance, doing the paperwork and paying fines.

However, having your license suspended for lack of insurance would (and should) carry over to CA. And I cannot see why the registration would be suspended but not the license.
My license is not suspended, just the plates. After 40 days, I can re-register in NYS. They will not allow me to pay a fine and will not accept anything other than me turning in my plates. And, the insurance issue has been rectified. :cry:

FlyingRon

If his driver's license was suspended, then the National Driver Registry would block him from getting licensed elsewhere.

The National Vehicle Title Registry doesn't block you just because your registration is suspended or revoked. It only catches vehicles flagged as stolen or ones that have had their titles canceled (salvaged or the like).

PayrollHRGuy

If his driver's license was suspended, then the National Driver Registry would block him from getting licensed elsewhere.

The National Vehicle Title Registry doesn't block you just because your registration is suspended or revoked. It only catches vehicles flagged as stolen or ones that have had their titles canceled (salvaged or the like).
Good to know.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
I wonder if the OP had his car trucked from NY to CA?
One does wonder. I've used car trailers for such moves, but OP might have done the same thing.

And both CA and NY require proof of insurance when you newly register in their state, although I'll admit NY was a bit more of a PITA of what counted as "proof". CA seemed more of a PITA about other things, so it's a bit of a wash in the state PITA competition.

And it makes sense that the car itself is not flagged - there's nothing inherently wrong with the car, just the car owner.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
My license is not suspended, just the plates. After 40 days, I can re-register in NYS. They will not allow me to pay a fine and will not accept anything other than me turning in my plates. And, the insurance issue has been rectified. :cry:
I am skeptical. While you lived in NY, did you ever change over your license to a NY one? No? You kept you CA on the entire time? Perhaps that's why they are sticking it to you.

Bit confused.
You said that you moved back to Cali. Why not just send the NY plates back?. After all you would have to hand them in when you get Cali plates.
Or am I missing something?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">