• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Retaliation and harassment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MnM2021

I work remotely in Colorado for a company out of Louisiana. I started on 10/18/21 and am in training for 10-12 weeks but have been repeatedly belittled when I ask questions. I don't have insurance but on 11/10 was evaluated by someone at the little clinic who said I likely have vertigo but I would have to go to a real dr. and have many tests ran to determine severity. I continued to work but on 11/19 at 3:30 AM emailed my manager that I needed to take a sick day and my manager responsded to that by saying I needed to take 4 unpaid days off to determine if I wanted to work there and if I decided that I did want to that they would require a dr. note for all sick days! I immediately forwarded it to HR asking why I was being punished for asking for a sick day and advised HR of the HFWA act which protects my rights to a sick day and that asking me for a dr note for all sick days is in violation of Colorado Law! I asked HR to step in and have a conversation with my manager and I because my questions were always shot down and I was told I seemed like I needed my hand held and that I ask too many questions but she refused. She did not respond to my pointing out how asking me for a dr. note for all sick days was discrimination unless they were going to make all employees do the same company wide but when I asked for a sick day for 12/6 was asked again for a dr note from HR. A compliance officer advised me to send them the fact sheet for HFWA and so I also pointed out how the law went into effect on1/1/21 so they were in violation for not notifying employees who work in Colorado of their rights but now I'm being asked to meet certain metrics that are unreasonable or attainable given that I haven't completed training. I have documentation, screen shote and activity reports showing that I'm performing in line with other new employees and emailed them pointing out that these metrics are unfair and I feel as tho it is in retaliation for pointing out their violations but wondering how I would prove discrimination and since now i've been threatened with termination 3 times now if certain metrics arent met would disqualify me for unemployment if they do end up terminating my employment. I've already filed a retaliation complaint with CDOL and spoke with a lawyer but I am not in a place financially to be left without any income...

quincy

I work remotely in Colorado for a company out of Louisiana. I started on 10/18/21 and am in training for 10-12 weeks but have been repeatedly belittled when I ask questions. I don't have insurance but on 11/10 was evaluated by someone at the little clinic who said I likely have vertigo but I would have to go to a real dr. and have many tests ran to determine severity. I continued to work but on 11/19 at 3:30 AM emailed my manager that I needed to take a sick day and my manager responsded to that by saying I needed to take 4 unpaid days off to determine if I wanted to work there and if I decided that I did want to that they would require a dr. note for all sick days! I immediately forwarded it to HR asking why I was being punished for asking for a sick day and advised HR of the HFWA act which protects my rights to a sick day and that asking me for a dr note for all sick days is in violation of Colorado Law! I asked HR to step in and have a conversation with my manager and I because my questions were always shot down and I was told I seemed like I needed my hand held and that I ask too many questions but she refused. She did not respond to my pointing out how asking me for a dr. note for all sick days was discrimination unless they were going to make all employees do the same company wide but when I asked for a sick day for 12/6 was asked again for a dr note from HR. A compliance officer advised me to send them the fact sheet for HFWA and so I also pointed out how the law went into effect on1/1/21 so they were in violation for not notifying employees who work in Colorado of their rights but now I'm being asked to meet certain metrics that are unreasonable or attainable given that I haven't completed training. I have documentation, screen shote and activity reports showing that I'm performing in line with other new employees and emailed them pointing out that these metrics are unfair and I feel as tho it is in retaliation for pointing out their violations but wondering how I would prove discrimination and since now i've been threatened with termination 3 times now if certain metrics arent met would disqualify me for unemployment if they do end up terminating my employment. I've already filed a retaliation complaint with CDOL and spoke with a lawyer but I am not in a place financially to be left without any income...
Were you hired or were you eligible for hiring once you satisfactorily finished your training?

MnM2021

I was hired and started on 10/18, told we had 10-12 weeks of training where we would be get certified to handle different calls, and memorizing different scripts.

quincy

How is your vertigo Covid-19 related?

Under HFWA, by the way, an employer can impose consequences if an employee misuses paid leave.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Asking for a note allowing for return to work, in and of itself, does not appear to violate any law, nor is it "discriminatory". Also, why do you believe that you are entitled to more than a couple of hours of accrued paid sick leave?

MnM2021

How is your vertigo Covid-19 related?

Under HFWA, by the way, an employer can impose consequences if an employee misuses paid leave.
Who said anything about covid? HFWA doesn't just apply to covid! READ!!! This was the first request for a sick day!!! AND, where does the law say that an employer can give punishment for asking for a sick day??? Maybe in Pakistan but not the USA! C'mon??? Y'all are supposed to be helpful!!!

Just Blue

Who said anything about covid? HFWA doesn't just apply to covid! READ!!! This was the first request for a sick day!!! AND, where does the law say that an employer can give punishment for asking for a sick day??? Maybe in Pakistan but not the USA! C'mon??? Y'all are supposed to be helpful!!!
If you don't find the members, who volunteer their time on this site, helpful, you could always pay an attorney for a consultation.

MnM2021

If you don't find the members, who volunteer their time on this site, helpful, you could always pay an attorney for a consultation.
Orrrrrrrrr, If members can't volunteer time that's actually helpful and on topic, they can always just not say anything at all!?! ‍♀

Just Blue

Orrrrrrrrr, If members can't volunteer time that's actually helpful and on topic, they can always just not say anything at all!?! ‍♀
Members that wish others to provide them with FREE guidance should really leave their attitude at the door. You have the site recommended option of just ignoring the advice or comments that you find unhelpful. Demanding and entitled attitudes are counterproductive to your quest for assistance.

Here's the link for the Colorado Bar Association...unlike us, those members are paid to put up with attitude.

https://www.cobar.org/

Have a good evening.

Last edited:

MnM2021

Members that wish others to provide them with FREE guidance should really leave their attitude at the door. You have the site recommended option of just ignoring the advice or comments that you fine unhelpful. Demanding and entitled attitudes are counterproductive to your quest for assistance.

Here's the link for the Colorado Bar Association...unlike us, those members are paid to put up with attitude.

https://www.cobar.org/

Have a good evening.
Why don't you practice what you preach and just ignore posts if you can't provide helpful "guidance" that is actually on topic???? Everything posted so far has been nothing but irrelevant, rude and ignorant! Waste someone else's time please and good evening!

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
I was hired and started on 10/18, told we had 10-12 weeks of training where we would be get certified to handle different calls, and memorizing different scripts.
So you were still in training.

"Vertigo" is a symptom, not a diagnosis. There are many causes of dizziness. So perhaps you mean something else.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
You did not complete training.

Taking sick days during training was viewed by your boss as lack of commitment to the job. When you are asked to take extra time off and get doctor notes, that is code for "We are not satisfied with your performance."

Given your reactions here, and that you were training to directly interact with people, this job was not a good fit. When you are handling calls, you need to have a very thick skin.

MnM2021

You did not complete training.

Taking sick days during training was viewed by your boss as lack of commitment to the job. When you are asked to take extra time off and get doctor notes, that is code for "We are not satisfied with your performance."

Given your reactions here, and that you were training to directly interact with people, this job was not a good fit. When you are handling calls, you need to have a very thick skin.
Sick days are the right of every employee under the law. Go read your states laws on sick days before posting answers you have no knowledge about. Whether it's paid or unpaid is different from state to state but taking a sick day is a legal right as an employee! I'm shocked how many of y'all do know your own rights! Maybe that's why people are so quick to give up their rights these days! So sad!

MnM2021

Here let me give some help to all you "helpful" people offering "guidance" since it's obvious that no one here actually knows their own rights!!! ‍♀ (link removed)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">