• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Return adopted child

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mamatomany

Illinois. I adopted a child at birth through a private adoption. I felt very pressured by her relatives to take the child in. The child Is now 5 years old. The Mother claimed no knowledge of the father. She also claimed no drugs were involved. And she was choosing to put child up for adoption. Since then she is claiming she was date- raped. Knows the father and was coerced by her own parents to relinquish child for adoption. She was young then and made bad choices but is in a better life now.. she now is stating that wants to be more involved in the kids life or that she would like the child back.. i know she signed to terminate her rights. But i do believe her parents pressured her to adopt out to save their own "name-shame". The child does exhibit worrisome behaviors that are typically found in kids exposed to drugs in utero, or it could be mental illness. I do not have the time or energy to assimilate the Mother into my life for "involvement" What can i legally do?

Last edited:

Just Blue

Illinois. I adopted a child at birth through a private adoption. Is now 4 years old. The Mother claimed no knowledge of the father. She also claimed no drugs were involved. And she was choosing to put child up for adoption. Since then she is claiming she was raped. Knows the father and was coerced by her own parents to relinquish child for adoption. She was young and is in a better life now.. she now is stating that wants to be more involved in the kids life or that she would like the child back.. i know she signed to terminate her rights. But i do believe her parents pressured he to adopt out to save their own name-shame. What can i legally do.?
Please clarify about "What can I legally do?"..Are you asking if the birth-mother can overturn the adoption? Or something else.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You're not overturning it or anything like that. In essence, she would be adopting the child from you, with all the legalities, legwork, and costs that an adoption entails.

Before you decide to go ahead with this, think about this: How is the 5 year old hot-potato going to feel?

Mamatomany

Also am i legally obligated to inform the father that the kid even exists ? She did fraudulently say she did not know who the father is. But recently admitted she knows him and deliberately never gave the name.

Zigner

Also am i legally obligated to inform the father that the kid even exists ? She did fraudulently say she did not know who the father is. But recently admitted she knows him and deliberately never gave the name.
You may wish to speak to an attorney about this matter.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Why do I get the feeling that you want to dump the child now that s/he seems to be "damaged goods"? I suggest giving the child back to the biological mother and considering a tubal ligation. (Sorry, Mods I know that's not kinder/gentler, but... neither is dumping a kid.) And don't get a pet.

HRZ

You are now the child's parent
....freeze the bio Mom and family out of picture
....focus on getting what the child needs to thrive in place ...at 5 , if the child has special needs, sort out available intervention services generally starting with local school district

Zigner

You are now the child's parent
....freeze the bio Mom and family out of picture
....focus on getting what the child needs to thrive in place ...at 5 , if the child has special needs, sort out available intervention services generally starting with local school district
The OP WANTS bio-mom to have the child.

HRZ

IF bio mom wants the child..let bio mom do 99.98% of the leg and legal work but for the final signature by OP.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">