• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rock & Roll star claiming autograph authenticated by TWO eBay-endorsed companies is not real.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

justalayman

One thing you do need to understand is the people authenticating the signature can only state their opinion that it is authentic. Unless they watched the write sign their name, what you have is an opinion that they believe it to be authentic.

There are some excellent forgers out there as well as other means to produce forgeries that are extremely difficult to verify as real.

quincy

When you have the celebrity telling eBay that an autograph is not his signature, that is going to outweigh the opinions of authenticators when it comes to selling the autograph on eBay. eBay would rather pull the item than be sued.

quincy

Justin Bieber is not exactly a "rock and roll" star. ;)

There were a couple of class action suits filed against Collectors Universe Inc. (and others) over claims Collectors was saying autographs offered by smaller autograph sellers (e.g., Todd Mueller Autographs LLC) were not authentic.

Here is a link to one suit, which provides an insight into the (cutthroat) autograph authentication business:

Todd Mueller, et al v. Collectors Universe Inc, et al:
https://www.leagle.com/decision/incaco20171214079

Hold it until the celebrity dies.
Unlikely to happen anytime soon. I have found it odd that my investment strategy is predicated on the age of the celebrity.
Frame it and hang it on your wall. It's tainted and you know it's tainted. If you sell it without notifying the buyer of the celebrity's denial you can be sued for fraud.

On the other hand if you advertise it with the full story, somebody might just buy it for bragging rights.
Only it's not "tainted". The celebrity in question is coincedentally my personal Rock & Roll God. Has been for 40 years. Been front & center more times than I can count. It's a very unique signature and not easily copied. I have other autos that look identical. No one can look at something they signed 20 or 30 years ago and positively identify it as not their own. It's simply not possible. Go look at Mickey Mantle signatures over the years, you'll be amazed at how much he changed. This specific celeb has his sig in magazine ads from 30 years ago that look nothing like what he signs today. This is simply human nature.

justalayman

Hence the reason professional authentication companies are needed.
But in the end, without acknowledgement by the writer, those authentications are merely opinion. Personally, when a celeb is alive and denies the authenticity,regardless of your claim as the reason for the denial, I would accept the celebs statement over some party that claims to be able to determine if a signature is authentic.

justalayman

Unlikely to happen anytime soon. I have found it odd that my investment strategy is predicated on the age of the celebrity.

Only it's not "tainted". The celebrity in question is coincedentally my personal Rock & Roll God. Has been for 40 years. Been front & center more times than I can count. It's a very unique signature and not easily copied. I have other autos that look identical. No one can look at something they signed 20 or 30 years ago and positively identify it as not their own. It's simply not possible. Go look at Mickey Mantle signatures over the years, you'll be amazed at how much he changed. This specific celeb has his sig in magazine ads from 30 years ago that look nothing like what he signs today. This is simply human nature.
If a writer cannot authenticate his own signature, what makes you believe anybody, especially a person who has a vested interest in the authenticity of the signature, to be able to make such a determination.

quincy

Your complaint, however, is not with the authentication companies. The autograph was authenticated.

Your complaint is with the celebrity who said the authenticators were wrong.

Even if there were a dozen other authenticators stating that in their opinion the autograph is that of the rock star, if the rock star denies it is his signature, eBay will still pull the sale.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">