• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Roommate died and her parents think I stole her stuff?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Washington

I dont really have a specific question. Id just like some input about this situation.

My roommate died and her parents came to get clothes for her. Her mom said that stuff was missing and basically accused me of stealing. Her dad was like “if it doesn’t all show up by tomorrow I’m going to have to call the police”.

So now I’m a little stressed about the situation. First off I can’t even be home tomorrow to deal with it. I’m afraid they’re going to rifle through my things. Secondly since it’s a loft apartment there’s no way to lock my stuff up while I’m out. I don’t even know what would happen if they let the police in while I’m not there.

I really don’t want anyone going through my stuff. So I almost want to take all my stuff aside from furniture over to my boyfriend’s place. I’m afraid that will look suspicious or something though and I’d somehow get in trouble.

LdiJ

I dont really have a specific question. Id just like some input about this situation.

My roommate died and her parents came to get clothes for her. Her mom said that stuff was missing and basically accused me of stealing. Her dad was like “if it doesn’t all show up by tomorrow I’m going to have to call the police”.

So now I’m a little stressed about the situation. First off I can’t even be home tomorrow to deal with it. I’m afraid they’re going to rifle through my things. Secondly since it’s a loft apartment there’s no way to lock my stuff up while I’m out. I don’t even know what would happen if they let the police in while I’m not there.

I really don’t want anyone going through my stuff. So I almost want to take all my stuff aside from furniture over to my boyfriend’s place. I’m afraid that will look suspicious or something though and I’d somehow get in trouble.
What kind of stuff are they saying is missing? Is it stuff that is reasonable that she would have had it there? If you truly didn't take anything of hers then by all means protect anything that is important to you by removing it from the premises. You cannot get in trouble for that. I am also not sure that you are required to allow her family unfettered access to your home, even if she was your roommate. However, you don't have time to verify that with a local attorney before tomorrow.

quincy

I am sorry about your roommate.

What sort of “stuff” did the parents claim is missing? Clothing items, jewelry, laptop?

Do you have a family member who can monitor your apartment while you are away? Or your boyfriend?

You should not change the lock without the landlord’s permission.

What kind of stuff are they saying is missing? Is it stuff that is reasonable that she would have had it there? If you truly didn't take anything of hers then by all means protect anything that is important to you by removing it from the premises. You cannot get in trouble for that. I am also not sure that you are required to allow her family unfettered access to your home, even if she was your roommate. However, you don't have time to verify that with a local attorney before tomorrow.
Some things mentioned were jewelry and expensive clothing items. I guess it’s reasonable. She was a fashionable person.

What sort of “stuff” did the parents claim is missing? Clothing items, jewelry, laptop?

Do you have a family member who can monitor your apartment while you are away?

They mentioned jewelry and expensive clothing items/shoes.

No, I don’t have anyone that’s available to do that.

quincy

No, I don’t keep track of those kind of things. Just in her area of the apartment. There isn’t any other hiding places here.
Do you really think the parents will take any of your personal items? If so, you could make a list of what you own, make two copies - keep one with you and leave the other for the parents.

Do you really think the parents will take any of your personal items? If so, you could make a list of what you own, make two copies - keep one with you and leave the other for the parents.
I don’t really know them, so I don’t know if they would steal anything, but the idea of them going through my stuff makes me very uncomfortable.

Just Blue

Do you have a family member who can monitor your apartment while you are away? Or your boyfriend?

OP could have a lock smith just change the tumblers and then change them back after the parents clear out their daughters belongings.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">