• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Roommate eviction question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Packer12

Live in AZ

I live with my aunt and uncle in my sisters house and pay rent. No signed lease.

I'm thinking about letting someone move into one of the empty bedrooms for $0 in exchange for taking care of my aunt and uncle a few hours a day. There would be no signed agreement.

The question is if things did not work out for any reason after a few weeks or even a few months, would I have any issues getting this person out of the house? How much notification, if any, am I required to give?

I don't want to be in a position where this stranger would have some sort of rights that I'm unaware of in this scenario.

Thanks

LdiJ

I am not even touching this one because the two threads combined make literally no sense at all.

"There would be no signed agreement"

One thing I could never figure out about people is, why are they so willing to jump through hoops and literally avoid having any sort of an agreement. It's almost as if people want to have failure in their lives. I think some people think that asking to enter into a written agreement is somehow an insult to the other party. On the contrary, the desire to enter into a written agreement shows mutual respect and professionalism. It shows that you want to do the right thing, and are willing to make yourself accountable.

Many times I have had landlords try to rent to me on a handshake and my response was "absolutely not" every time! No contract, no deal, period. Handshake deals are for liars and cheats, it's your word against another. Every landlord that tried to rent to me with no lease ended up being a scumbag in the end, which is why they didn't want to give me any sort of rights or legal recourse. You don't even need to be an attorney to have an understanding of this. If someone is not willing to put an agreement in writing, then they are not worth your time.

Good luck with your mess, hope you figure out what state you actually live in.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">