• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

School "Cleaning Detention" without issuing protective gloves

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TracyMazz

There is no reason to provide protective gloves if there is nothing to be protected from.
They were cleaning the stairwells of the school where more than 500 students walk up and down daily from 8 am to 3 pm.
I can't help but think of all the filth on the ground from various areas of Philly. One would think that kind of cleaning should be left to the professionals and things like sweeping the hall and washing white boards and desks.

Just Blue

They were cleaning the stairwells of the school where more than 500 students walk up and down daily from 8 am to 3 pm.
I can't help but think of all the filth on the ground from various areas of Philly. One would think that kind of cleaning should be left to the professionals and things like sweeping the hall and washing white boards and desks.
So...they were sweeping/moping stairs?

LdiJ

Not yet, this just happened yesterday and I wanted to take 24 hours to cool down before I addressed it in an appropriate manner.
You know what I would do? I would go and buy a box of protective gloves (the cheaper disposable kind) and I would take them to school. I would ask to speak to the school nurse (or the assistant principal if the school doesn't have a full time nurse). The I would tell that person that your granddaughter had cleaning detention and was not given protective gloves to wear, and since you were SURE that the school would not do something so dangerous to children's health, you knew that they must have run out of budget for them, so you were donating a box. In other words, embarass them a bit.

quincy

Noted... and I agree.
and if a student has eczema?
What if a student is allergic to latex? Or has another allergy that makes cleaning hazardous?

Most students can talk and your granddaughter could have asked for gloves and the school probably would have provided a pair.

Just Blue

You know what I would do? I would go and buy a box of protective gloves (the cheaper disposable kind) and I would take them to school. I would ask to speak to the school nurse (or the assistant principal if the school doesn't have a full time nurse). The I would tell that person that your granddaughter had cleaning detention and was not given protective gloves to wear, and since you were SURE that the school would not do something so dangerous to children's health, you knew that they must have run out of budget for them, so you were donating a box. In other words, embarass them a bit.
Dangerous? How is washing some stairs a "danger"?

ETA: If OP were to follow your advice she would look like a somewhat hysterical fool to the school officials.

TracyMazz

Dangerous? How is washing some stairs a "danger"?

ETA: If OP were to follow your advice she would look like a somewhat hysterical fool to the school officials.
I came on here to get feedback (good bad or indifferent) before talking to anyone at the school. As I said previously I do not take issue with her cleaning...
I do take issue with the school not giving her gloves. We live in Philadelphia. Public schools have a tendency to be somewhat dirty. and as for Dangerous - 11 year old children have a tendency to be a little clumsy despite how much I teach my granddaughters to clean.

I sign a waiver every year that would protect the school should she get injured on school grounds during the school day and or during athletics. So if she slipped and fell during a detention while cleaning the school (which by the way is not a course of action in the handbook) if would cost me out of pocket for medical, and that is just not something i have

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">