• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sick to my Stomach

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LdiJ

There is much, much more to it than that.
How do you know that? There might or might not be more to it, people get ridiculous sometimes when a parent/grandparent passes away. We have seen it over and over again on these forums.

Just Blue

What I find to be extremely petty is your older son saying that you were "dead to him forever" over a freaking knife block.

However, that does not mean that you could in any way successfully sue the executor over something like that.
Oh for God's sake LD! It's not about the flipping wood block. That was just an obvious "block that broke the camels back" for the son.

JMann4

Thank you for providing the state name. Is this the state where your mother lived?

What is the value of the "knife block?" Was a complaint ever made to the police or did the executor only threaten to report the "theft?"
Yes my mother lived there. The value of the block might be 150.00. I don't know if it was actually reported or not. I wasnt even thinking I wanted to sue for money. I wish she could be held accountable for the emotional distress she caused. Oh well. I can move on with time.

JMann4

How do you know that? There might or might not be more to it, people get ridiculous sometimes when a parent/grandparent passes away. We have seen it over and over again on these forums.
Of course its complicated as families can be. I didnt do anything to warrant this except breathe and move out of state, thus judgment.

LdiJ

Thank you for providing the state name. Is this the state where your mother lived?

What is the value of the "knife block?" Was a complaint ever made to the police or did the executor only threaten to report the "theft?"
An average knife block is about 50.00 to 100.00 retail with the rare block being more than that. I have never seen one at more than 200.00 although I would suspect that some chef level ones might cost more than that. The commercial one that I had for my restaurant was just at 100.00 retail. A used one would not have much value.

Just Blue

Yes my mother lived there. The value of the block might be 150.00. I don't know if it was actually reported or not. I wasnt even thinking I wanted to sue for money. I wish she could be held accountable for the emotional distress she caused. Oh well. I can move on with time.
You should work on your relationship with your children rather than file ridiculous law suits.

Just Blue

Of course its complicated as families can be. I didnt do anything to warrant this except breathe and move out of state, thus judgment.
With your oldest? Really? He is so angry just because you moved out of state when you child was having issues?

JMann4

What I find to be extremely petty is your older son saying that you were "dead to him forever" over a freaking knife block.

However, that does not mean that you could in any way successfully sue the executor over something like that.
No kidding. How little he valued our relationship. He doesnt speak to his brother either. He can be a sweet decent man but we have always struggled. Thankfully he has friends and is okay with his dad.

JMann4

With your oldest? Really? He is so angry just because you moved out of state when you child was having issues?
Yes. My mom was sick but two sisters came to stay with her but held it against me. My younger son is doing fantastic though so I would do it again.

quincy

The executor potentially could be held accountable for her words.

Depending on all facts, falsely accusing someone of a crime (generally) would be judged defamation per se, meaning injury to the reputation is presumed.

Damages can be awarded on this presumed injury alone. Proof of harm is not required.

That said, without demonstrable harm (e.g., a showing of economic losses, medical bills, obvious shunning or ridicule), the damages awarded on presumed injury can be nominal (as little as $1). The cost of pursuing the action would be greater than the amount recovered.

Unless you find yourself investigated for theft (which probably is unlikely), or unless you find that your relationships with family and/or friends have been severely harmed by the executor's comnents, you might be smartest to write the comment off as stupidity on the part of the executor.

JMann4

Yes. My mom was sick but two sisters came to stay with her but held it against me. My younger son is doing fantastic though so I would do it again.
Oh I see what you are asking. My older boy took the divorce hard, felt slighted, hurt. Of course his hurt and anger are not just over a knife block.

JMann4

The executor potentially could be held accountable for her words.

Depending on all facts, falsely accusing someone of a crime (generally) would be judged defamation per se, meaning injury to the reputation is presumed.

Damages can be awarded on this presumed injury alone. Proof of harm is not required.

That said, without demonstrable harm (e.g., a showing of economic losses, medical bills, obvious shunning or ridicule), the damages awarded on presumed injury can be nominal (as little as $1). The cost of pursuing the action would be greater than the amount recovered.

Unless you find yourself investigated for theft (which probably is unlikely), or unless you find that your relationships with family and/or friends have been adversely harmed by the executor's comnents, you might be smartest to write the comment off as stupidity on the part of the executor.
Really helpful comments! Thank you. I appreciate that.

xylene

You should get some therapy for your bereavement. In the course of this therapy you could stand to address some gaping emotional wounds that seem to be quite visible just on a forum. People are not always nice to people in distress, sometimes they see it as an opening to hurt someone, either because they are themselves, like your son. Your family dynamic sounds troubled, with so mnay people not on speaking terms and the expectations, etc. Maybe you do or maybe you don't know how that is affecting you inside, but either way some work on being self assured and assertive could help you a lot from what you described.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">