• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Slandered on YouTube

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TedMann

What is the name of your state? California

A stranger on YouTube made a video about me and made numerous defamatory statements. I reported the video to YouTube, and as usual, they turned a blind eye to it. YouTube pretends like they are so concerned about their policies, and they claim they don't allow slander, harassment or bullying, but actually they do. Does anyone know what I can do about the slanderous video? I spoke with a lawyer and he said I do have valid grounds for a lawsuit, but the problem is that I cannot provide the twenty or so thousand dollars. This is ridiculous. People shouldn't have to pay for lawsuits. YouTube should just abide by their own rules.

quincy

A stranger on YouTube made a video about me and made numerous defamatory statements. I reported the video to YouTube, and as usual, they turned a blind eye to it. YouTube pretends like they are so concerned about their policies, and they claim they don't allow slander, harassment or bullying, but actually they do. Does anyone know what I can do about the slanderous video? I spoke with a lawyer and he said I do have valid grounds for a lawsuit, but the problem is that I cannot provide the twenty or so thousand dollars. This is ridiculous. People shouldn't have to pay for lawsuits. YouTube should just abide by their own rules.
Please describe what sort of content is published in this YouTube video.

Does the video include photos of you? Are you identified by name or identifiable by content?

What is said in the video that you believe is defamatory?

Why do you believe the videographer created this video?

To have material removed from an online location, you often need a court order.

To get a court order to remove what you believe is defamatory material, you often need to file suit against your defamer.

The court will determine if the material is defamatory or protected speech (i.e., truth, opinion, parody, fair comment...).

justalayman

A close read of Px Hx is...interesting.
Ya, I see op has a tendency to expect answers without providing any details that would allow one to actually provide anything more than a generic answer. Other than thst op is very argumentative.

Best of luck to ya Quincy. I think you’re heading down the rabbit hole.

quincy

Ya, I see op has a tendency to expect answers without providing any details that would allow one to actually provide anything more than a generic answer. Other than thst op is very argumentative.

Best of luck to ya Quincy. I think you’re heading down the rabbit hole.
After reading the history, it appears I have been down that rabbit hole before. :)

Here, for TedMann, are two links - the first one to California's defamation jury instructions where Ted can read about the various elements that must be proved to be successful with a defamation claim, and the second is to the Digital Media Law Project's overview of California's anti-SLAPP law, which must be considered before filing suit.

https://www.justia.com/trials-litigation/docs/caci/1700/

http://www.dmlp.org/legal-guide/anti-slapp-law-california

Last edited:

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights

So how would attorneys be compensated for their time, expertise, and expenses involved in litigation?

quincy

Although there is not much interest in providing free legal counsel for litigants in defamation cases, and an award of attorney fees in defamation cases can be hit or miss (and can depend on the state), there IS an organization that has been working toward a "civil" right to counsel that matches the right to counsel granted criminal defendants.

The National Coalition for a Civil Right to Counsel has had some success in helping to pass legislation in some states, providing counsel to those facing foreclosure or eviction, loss of custody or termination of parental rights, disability discrimination, and for immigration issues.
http://civilrighttocounsel.org/about

For now, though, those who have been defamed must take on the (often very high) costs of an attorney themselves (or find an attorney willing to work on a contingency basis).

Any person defamed needs to evaluate the merits of their case and weigh carefully all of the pros and cons of a suit before filing.

TedMann

Please describe what sort of content is published in this YouTube video.
Again, slander.

What is said in the video that you believe is defamatory?
That's my business. It's slander. That's all you need to know.

Why do you believe the videographer created this video?
To slander me.

To have material removed from an online location, you often need a court order.
I know. It's too costly. The man lives in another state.

To get a court order to remove what you believe is defamatory material, you often need to file suit against your defamer.
I know this. He lives in another state. How can I sue someone in another state?

TedMann

Details here are logically irrelevant. I was slandered, that's ALL you need to know. I only argue with people who know nothing about logic and don't reason properly.

Last edited:

TedMann

quincy, actually it's not the "same" way. It would take tremendous financial resources to travel to his state and county, not to mention the legal fees. There must be another way. YouTube just needs to abide by their own rules.

quincy

quincy, actually it's not the "same" way. It would take tremendous financial resources to travel to his state and county, not to mention the legal fees. There must be another way. YouTube just needs to abide by their own rules.
I could provide you with some possible alternatives to a lawsuit but that would require you answering the questions I previously asked and, additionally, telling me in what state the stranger lives.

Details matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">