• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Some help for my dad

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

autumnsunburst

He wanted me to get the county building inspector to come asses the damages, is that the right thing? I'm trying to figure out how to do that on their website but I'm not sure, there's not like an application to submit.

quincy

He wanted me to get the county building inspector to come asses the damages, is that the right thing? I'm trying to figure out how to do that on their website but I'm not sure, there's not like an application to submit.
Who wanted you to do that? The insurance agent?

I think you are going to run into road blocks trying to do too much for your father. He will need to do the contacting.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
That's not the function of the county assessor. The insurance company can send their own adjuster who will provide an estimation of the damage. Alternatively, your dad can hire a private adjuster for such a valuation.

autumnsunburst

Who wanted you to do that? The insurance agent?

I think you are going to run into road blocks trying to do too much for your father. He will need to do the contacting.
Yeah I'm aware but he can't talk on the phone without someone there with him because he can't really hear. So I need to get a list and go up there (to his house) during business hours and do it with him I hope that will be enough.

I'm hoping when school break starts for the summer I can go up there and stay some nights and hopefully get more done that way.

autumnsunburst

That's not the function of the county assessor. The insurance company can send their own adjuster who will provide an estimation of the damage. Alternatively, your dad can hire a private adjuster for such a valuation.
okay awesome that makes sense then and why there's no application to submit for them.

autumnsunburst

I'm still not getting any lawyer that will take this case.
What am I doing wrong?

My last attempt my email read
Hello, my name is ---- --------- and I am writing to you for my father who is seeking legal assistance to take up a litigation against another child of his and her boyfriend that he had let stay with him when they had gotten evicted from their rental house.

When he asked them to get their lives in order and move into their own place they refused and blocked him trying to get help to have them legally evicted. They got his family to stay away and started taking advantage of his bad health and began using his money and credit cards, cars, guns, and other property all the while taking away his television and breaking his phone so he couldn't be contacted or call for help. Then the boyfriend also began to abuse him, put him down, push around and hit him, leaving dents in the refrigerator and house.

This went on for about a year until he was able to contact his sister and plea to her for help. She got her son to go to the property and get him and they filed an order of protection and got the eviction finally placed against them. The court gave them a date to remove their belongings and when they were doing this they also took many items of his that he still hopes to get back and left so much damage to the property that he would like to sue them for negligence and reparations as well charged for elder abuse.

I am requesting that you can find time to consider taking up this case for my elderly father who has been held hostage, made to feel helpless and degraded through this period and this is an outreach for justice.

I'm getting really frustrated here.

autumnsunburst

Ugh I've lost another 2 and a half weeks now. I am so confused.

I started making the lists and I wrote out the entire story to the best of my ability but I don't want to just send it in because I know my mom will be betting them a good lawyer immediatetly and I don't want to mess up our side of the case by presenting this to the court.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The fact that no lawyer wants to take this on is a good indicator that the case isn't worth enough. Your dad may (and probably does) have a good case, but there's simply no money to be had.

autumnsunburst

Since I posted this before his plumbing backed up and exploded in the entire finished basement now leaving tens of thousands of more dollars in damages to the property and we had a plumber come out and "snake the drain" and he pulled out wads of spiraled metal and wires they must of flushed down the toilet when they left the last time and it just now finally clogged up the drains and there is sewage all over the basement now.

PAPP

Did you contact your area's bar association's lawyer referral service as quincy mentioned earlier? When I used my area's bar association, my question was crossed three different areas laws and they put three lawyers for a conference call to answer my question. I used them a few times for other issues, and they are helpful. If you didn't try them, I would recommend you to contact them to find a lawyer. I hope you will find a good lawyer for your father soon.

LdiJ

Your father should submit a claim to his insurance company about the basement damage. That should be covered by his homeowner's insurance. Much of the other damage might be covered as well. The insurance company would then in turn go after him for the damages.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">