• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Somebody broke my laptop, what can I do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Prove that you didn't drop the laptop on the stairs by mistake after class.

I'm not saying you did. I'm saying prove you didn't.

Dandy Don

Send him the email but don't expect to receive a response from him.

File a report with campus security or with police about this.

Concentrate on getting another laptop and moving on with your academic life.

Why not send him a letter of demand then serve him for Small Claims Court if all else fails. Most kids freak out when they are being sued and if his parents are uneducated in law (Normally pretty high on the list if the kid is just over 18yr old) they may be willing to settle with you outside of court fearing the worse of being held responsible for the full amount?

As for repair on your laptop count your losses if it's what I think it is. USB ports are mounted with STROONNNNGG solder joints, When they break. There isn't anything at HomeDepot you can melt to get the joint nearly as strong and the cost to do this is normally like 3 hours of labor, Totally not worth it.

quincy

A demand letter would be better certainly than a lawsuit. I don't see that a lawsuit can be supported.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I think we can stop there :)
It doesn't have to be intentional for the guy to be liable...it just has to be negligent.

ETA: Of course - in THIS case, the guy's liability is far from certain, based on the description of the incident. Even if the guy has any liability, it's only going to be for the value of an ancient (in tech terms) laptop.

Just Blue

For the life of me I don't know why this thread has been pulled up again. OP was answered two weeks ago and hasn't been back. He left the computer on the floor in the isle. His own fault it was damaged.

It doesn't have to be intentional for the guy to be liable...it just has to be negligent.

ETA: Of course - in THIS case, the guy's liability is far from certain, based on the description of the incident. Even if the guy has any liability, it's only going to be for the value of an ancient (in tech terms) laptop.
The only negligence that I can see is the OP leaving his laptop on the floor.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
For the life of me I don't know why this thread has been pulled up again. OP was answered two weeks ago and hasn't been back. He left the computer on the floor in the isle. His own fault it was damaged.
AgentSmithers responded (for some reason) - maybe he stumbled upon it, or maybe it was due to a since-deleted spam.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">