• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Summer Visitation Help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CJane

Of course summer visitation deals with Memorial Day weekend (in some states) the 4th of July and Labor Day (in some states) and Father's Day.

However, Father's day can be dealt with by indicating that dad gets that day..and the rest of those holidays could just fall as they may.
This is what we deal with. We have alternating 2 week periods, but he has father's day, we rotate the 4th of July and Memorial Day... this is our first year w/this schedule, and I'm very hopeful that it's bumpless... we're getting along pretty well these days. But I think for next summer, I might approach him about modifying ONLY that portion of the holiday schedule to just remove the 4th and Memorial weekend and each of us have the same 2 week periods going forward. Right now, we swap years for who chooses first.

wnbama

Let me throw out another example of what I was talking about....just so that everyone understands.

If dad's every other weekends continue throughout the summer, on top of his 5 weeks, then it would be literally possible for dad to take every "week" to cover one of mom's normal weekends, tack his weekend on the end, so that he got EVERY summer weekend. That would leave no summer weekends for mom and the child to spend together, and would leave no opportunity for mom to vacation with the child, even if mom couldn't afford to go away for her vacation, and instead preferred day trips to fun places.

Personally, my preferred summer schedule is every other week or every other two weeks. That gives both parents uninterrupted blocks of time with the children...and also allows for things like the children spending a week with grandparents as well as multiple choices for vacation time of their own.

So OP...if you end up going back to court, try getting it put in place that summer is every other week or every other two weeks. Then you don't have to worry about extra days getting tacked on.

If its written correctly then the timeshare would be "fixed" and there would be no need to "inform" by certain dates.

Example:

Summer break will include every other week for the parents. The ncp's first summer week shall commence at 6:00 PM on the first Friday after school releases, and the weeks shall rotate from that point, every Friday at 6:00 PM until the last Friday before school commences.

If the last week of summer visitation is with the CP, then the NCP will receive the first weekend after school starts, and the school year rotation will commence from there. If the last week of summer visitation is with the NCP, then the CP will receive the first weekend after school starts, and the school year otation will commence from there.

That's clear, unambigious and allows both parties to plan their summers without having to worry about "notifying" each other.

If a two week rotation is better, then do the same thing, only base it on two weeks instead of one. However I don't think that two weeks works as well. However, if both parents want two weeks for vacation, then a proviso can be included that each parent gets to choose to take one week of the other parent's time for "vacation"...but then you get back into the whole "notification" bit.

Of course summer visitation deals with Memorial Day weekend (in some states) the 4th of July and Labor Day (in some states) and Father's Day.

However, Father's day can be dealt with by indicating that dad gets that day..and the rest of those holidays could just fall as they may.
He get's 1st, 3rd, 5th weekends...

We didn't spell out Memorial Day, July 4th, Labor Day, Easter...I jsut let them fall where they fall and whose weekend they are on then that is who get it.....I thought that would be simplier then Knit-picking every holiday. But you know Hinds side is 20/20...sometimes.

This would have been great if I was dealing with someone that would COMMICATE and DISCUSS things BEFORE we go to court.

However, it our great and wonderful State of Alabama we have no set visitation, no required mediation, no required ANYTHING to make this better for either side :mad:. They wouldn't even let us all: me, my lawyer, him, his lawyer all set down and "discuss" it at the same time in one room to come up with a "solution" to resolve/tweak it. It was a 3-4 hour process that the lawyers and GAL was walking back and forth across the courthouse playing a Q & A game. Then in the end....nothing changed from the time we walked in ....However, it did take the Judge 4 months to sign off on it, so she HAD plenty of time to change someting if she was not happy with it. And when I got the "signed CO"...Handwritten on a blank sheet of paper...."The parties have reached an agreement which the court will reference" then stamped and signed....Nothing referencing what it was referring to ...Honestly it was a joke. But it is my great state of Alabama and there wonderful system that I have no choice but to deal with...:rolleyes:

Sorry End of rant....It's just I see other states that have things to help both parties in a case and it get aggravating.....

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
However, it our great and wonderful State of Alabama we have no set visitation, no required mediation, no required ANYTHING to make this better for either side :mad:. They wouldn't even let us all: me, my lawyer, him, his lawyer all set down and "discuss" it at the same time in one room to come up with a "solution" to resolve/tweak it. It was a 3-4 hour process that the lawyers and GAL was walking back and forth across the courthouse playing a Q & A game. Then in the end....nothing changed from the time we walked in ..
You know, hun, there's no reason (legally) you, your lawyer, him and his lawyer couldn't have had a sit-down or phone conference and worked this out. I hate that you were led to believe that you guys couldn't do that. :cool:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">