• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

tis the season for summer ?s

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wnbama

My 6yr old BEGGED me not to make him go back to his Dads for 5 weeks this summer, I asked him why he said Mommy it's too long to not see or talk to you. (He will not be going at all this summer due to a TRO on NCP and hearing not till end of summer, However, little man does not know about that..) My point is I can understand what the OP is saying,with a 6yr old. I agree with breaking it up in maybe 2 week segments..IMO

LdiJ

My 6yr old BEGGED me not to make him go back to his Dads for 5 weeks this summer, I asked him why he said Mommy it's too long to not see or talk to you. (He will not be going at all this summer due to a TRO on NCP and hearing not till end of summer, However, little man does not know about that..) My point is I can understand what the OP is saying,with a 6yr old. I agree with breaking it up in maybe 2 week segments..IMO
Or if the parents are close enough to make it work (of course these parents aren't) then every other week is good for summer break.

terp

So 9 days ago, I finally received the dates from father for summer. I had given him 1 week that I had to have reserved for a family wedding that involves a cross country flight.
He agreed to the dates, his choice within what I offered him.

Today he informed me that he could not get a flight for son to return on the day (Monday)he suggested and that son will be flying home the following day (Tuesday). My issue is that we were suppose to be on a plane early Tuesday morning.

I just went on line and checked all the airlines, there are plenty of flights that would work and the price for Tuesday is only $10 cheaper than Monday. Both days have plenty available. OK...so father is just a liar and being a pain in the arse!

Normally, I would not sweat this minor kink in things but I need to be there by Tuesday late afternoon for a dress fitting (wedding on Saturday) and my whole family has made plans based on when I would get son back from father and when I could get out there.

Changing agreed plans is not a new thing and honestly if I weigh the cost of my attorney to argue with his attorney, I come out even if I were just to scrap my non-refundable airline tickets. But, I cannot be flexible this time.

Can I get an emergency hearing before son leaves for father's to be sure his return flight is for that Monday? What else can I do? Honestly, by the time I pay my attorney for this, it will be the same $6-700 the plane tickets were. Or, I could scrap the Tuesday tickets and just buy Wednesday tickets and let him screw me up for another vacation and time I had planned with our son. Then I will have to rearrange my final fitting and potentially pay a more of a rushed price on alterations and also have my family re-juggle all pre-wedding plans they had made.

Please advice....I am steaming mad and VERY frustrated. I think I would much rather go thru the headache with the courts that put my family thru all of that.

proud_parent

If it were me, I would send the ex a quick email something like this:

Dad,

I was checking flight information on suchandso.com and I found a number of available flights returning on Monday. Would any of these available flight times work for you?:

<List>

If you would agree to cancel your current reservation and instead book kiddo on one of the above flights, I would be happy to pay the difference in airfares up to $<name your price>.

Please consider and let me know by <Date> so that I can make my own travel arrangements for Tuesday.

Regards,
Mom

terp

I really should have waited for your response....your letter was nicely put together....mine, unfortunately wasn't:(

same message...very different words.....:rolleyes:

proud_parent

I really should have waited for your response....your letter was nicely put together....mine, unfortunately wasn't:(

same message...very different words.....:rolleyes:
Hey, we've all emailed when angry :mad: (and lived to tell the tale :eek:).

When things were particularly heated between my husband and his ex, I used to suggest (OK...nag) that he should wait 24 hours before replying to any non-emergent communication from her. The times that he violated this cooling off period, it consistently came back to bite him.

He now strenuously avoids temptation to hit "Send" too soon. ;)

penelope10

Hey, we've all emailed when angry :mad: (and lived to tell the tale :eek:).

When things were particularly heated between my husband and his ex, I used to suggest (OK...nag) that he should wait 24 hours before replying to any non-emergent communication from her. The times that he violated this cooling off period, it consistently came back to bite him.

He now strenuously avoids temptation to hit "Send" too soon. ;)
LOL! Someone here suggested using the draft option rather than the send. I wait 24 hours then pull up the draft....It worked the last time I got upset. Once the smoke stopped coming from my ears I realized, "Thank goodness I didn't send that." Plus sometimes when I initially get ticked off I'll lump in other stuff that I've been mad about that does not pertain to the event at hand. (Wonder if that's a girl thing or just a Penelope thing?):confused:

Silverplum

Plus sometimes when I initially get ticked off I'll lump in other stuff that I've been mad about that does not pertain to the event at hand. (Wonder if that's a girl thing or just a Penelope thing?):confused:
I call it my "cumulative temper."

When you give it a Big Name, it's not so bad! :p

terp

ok...ok....back to me? :rolleyes:and my "crisis":confused:....still spitting mad....wrote an email, apologizing for my nastiness and used proud parent's letter....NO RESPONSE.....I think he is sitting there going..."duh...duh...duh...now what?"

Thank you

Has the plane ticket been purchased yet? If not, could the child fly into the airport you're flying into at a time not far after you'll be flying in? Or, if your family could pick the child up at the airport?

Just trying to think of a compromise. I hope everything worked out for your summer visitation plan.

proud_parent

I think he is sitting there going..."duh...duh...duh...now what?"
Ah. The beauty of the unfailingly polite reply, particularly when the recipient is expecting pure venom. Sometimes it is met with stunned silence. Best case scenario, it prompts a response in kind.

[PP's conflict resolution tip o' the day: Wanna deflate and confuse a difficult person? Agree with 'em. Works like a charm.]

Patience.

The ball is in his court. Wait to see what he lobs back. If he doesn't agree, be prepared to suggest other compromises, such as stepmomndad has offered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">