• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Toxic work environment - useless "management"

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LdiJ

I sympathize with your situation and the topic of chemical sensitivities of co-workers will probably be coming into greater awareness in the future.

What would be your idea of a reasonable accomodation or what do you want to happen? For co-workers to be asked to please stop wearing fragrances?
And how far do you want it taken? Just no perfumes or colognes, or do you want it to include shampoos, deodorants, lotions, laundry detergent, dryer sheets or other things with fragrances?

chesterv

When you went to HR, identified yourself as having a disability and requested a reasonable accommodation, what happened?
They claimed "theres nothing we can do about that", but the Governors office of Texas claims it IS the responsiblity of the employer to DO something, as they are responsible for managing their own company.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
They claimed "theres nothing we can do about that", but the Governors office of Texas claims it IS the responsiblity of the employer to DO something, as they are responsible for managing their own company.
Sure, but their responsibility doesn't necessarily mean changing anything.

chesterv

I sympathize with your situation and the topic of chemical sensitivities of co-workers will probably be coming into greater awareness in the future.

What would be your idea of a reasonable accomodation or what do you want to happen? For co-workers to be asked to please stop wearing fragrances?
I am allergic to artificial chemicals and high potency that have "aggressive" chemicals in them, such as Polo, Drakkar Noir, and anything that smells like "linen" or "water", such as most of the Calvin Kleins.

It's also an issue of these noxious people coming to work soaked in this stuff. They don't dab it on, or spritz a bit........they completely saturate themselves. One woman wore such a nasty perfume like this, that is stunk up the elevator for two weeks, and it reeked in the building lobby and hallway for two weeks as well.

This is a small office and 5-15 people coming in here soaked in these chemicals is beyond ludicrous. I'm not the only person here that is allergic to this stuff. And one of these other employees has been here for 18 years, and she said this problem has been going on for at least 15 years, and the management does nothing but move you to another cubicle......like that is going to solve the problem!

chesterv

And how far do you want it taken? Just no perfumes or colognes, or do you want it to include shampoos, deodorants, lotions, laundry detergent, dryer sheets or other things with fragrances?
For those who are allergic in this particular office, it's a matter of high potency chemicals and the types of chemicals these things are made of. For me, it's the high potency artificial chemicals derived from petroleum products. Shampoos, deodorants, laundry detergent, and dryer sheets don't seem to bother me. With another employee here, it's only the petroleum based chemicals that set off her reactions and allergies.

There are a lot of people here who wear one or two dabs of perfume or cologne, and thats fine, as we don't smell it.

Most of these ingrates here are unprofessional as you can get though. They can't even be bothered to use professional manners in the office......if it can be smelled outside your cubicle, it's too much.......if your "vapor trail" lingers for more than 5 seconds, it's too much........if it can be smelled in the office before you even get to the office, it's too much.

chesterv

Here's a pro-tip: if you go into HR or management with THAT attitude, you are not going to get anywhere. Dial down the histrionics and you'll get much further in your quest.
I'm a professional office admin, and I carry my issues as such in the workplace. If I have an "attitude" it's because of nobody giving a damn about anything but their own vanity around here. These people have to be described as they truly are for anyone online to understand the severity of this problem, that this company keeps turning a blind eye to.

LdiJ

For those who are allergic in this particular office, it's a matter of high potency chemicals and the types of chemicals these things are made of. For me, it's the high potency artificial chemicals derived from petroleum products. Shampoos, deodorants, laundry detergent, and dryer sheets don't seem to bother me. With another employee here, it's only the petroleum based chemicals that set off her reactions and allergies.

There are a lot of people here who wear one or two dabs of perfume or cologne, and thats fine, as we don't smell it.

Most of these ingrates here are unprofessional as you can get though. They can't even be bothered to use professional manners in the office......if it can be smelled outside your cubicle, it's too much.......if your "vapor trail" lingers for more than 5 seconds, it's too much........if it can be smelled in the office before you even get to the office, it's too much.
Ok, that seems pretty reasonable. Those are the types of people that I feel are obnoxious as well. However, I still think that your delivery is maybe what is causing you to get no where with things with HR. You did not come across as calm and reasonable here, and that is how you need to come across to HR.

chesterv

And then the OP may have a problem with body odor ;)
I've worked with a man who had a medical condition which caused him to have bad BO. Thats a medical condition, he tried everything he could to deter it, but nothing worked. Some things are understandable, but these people I'm talking about have been told several times not to be wearing this stuff to work, as there are people here that have health problems that it affects, and yet they continue to come to work saturated in these toxic chemicals.

Even it were a medical BO issue and the guy had to use a stinky medical ointment to solve the problem, that would be acceptable, as he is trying his best to do something about the problem he has. But as I said, this is about many people with self-entitled vanity issues.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I'm a professional office admin, and I carry my issues as such in the workplace. If I have an "attitude" it's because of nobody giving a damn about anything but their own vanity around here. These people have to be described as they truly are for anyone online to understand the severity of this problem, that this company keeps turning a blind eye to.
I have to say that you come across as having a huge sense of entitlement. That somehow the world must be molded around you. That's simply not how it works.

chesterv

Ok, that seems pretty reasonable. Those are the types of people that I feel are obnoxious as well. However, I still think that your delivery is maybe what is causing you to get no where with things with HR. You did not come across as calm and reasonable here, and that is how you need to come across to HR.
If you mean, do I scream and yell and use "bad words".......no I don't. I know how to talk their "language", and thats how I speak to them. I've been in corporate offices for more than 20 years, I know how to talk to execs on their own levels.

LdiJ

I've worked with a man who had a medical condition which caused him to have bad BO. Thats a medical condition, he tried everything he could to deter it, but nothing worked. Some things are understandable, but these people I'm talking about have been told several times not to be wearing this stuff to work, as there are people here that have health problems that it affects, and yet they continue to come to work saturated in these toxic chemicals.

Even it were a medical BO issue and the guy had to use a stinky medical ointment to solve the problem, that would be acceptable, as he is trying his best to do something about the problem he has. But as I said, this is about many people with self-entitled vanity issues.
Ok, the bolded above is the type of "over the top" language that you should not be using when talking to HR about the matter.

chesterv

I have to say that you come across as having a huge sense of entitlement. That somehow the world must be molded around you. That's simply not how it works.
Well, thats the problem with being online. If 5 people read something a poster wrote online, it will be interpreted 5 different ways.

I write in order to clarify and get the message across. If someone thinks thats entitlement, then thats their issue, not mine.

eerelations

Well, thats the problem with being online. If 5 people read something a poster wrote online, it will be interpreted 5 different ways.

I write in order to clarify and get the message across. If someone thinks thats entitlement, then thats their issue, not mine.
Oh I think we all interpreted the same way - exactly how you intended us to interpret it - entitled.

And, ahem, the bolded bit just emphasizes your entitled 'tude.

quincy

I suggest you get medical documentation and approach HR requesting reasonable accommodations. These accommodations MUST be reasonable.

As a note, it took a long time and a lot of public education for those who have children with peanut allergies to get peanut products banned (or limited) in schools.

You can consult with an attorney and/or file a claim if you feel your employer is not addressing your concerns properly.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">