• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unemployed and want to file Chapter 7 on my own

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ladynred

Do you think the Calvary Rep was being honest or saying no because they know that people are filing for bankruptcy to beat the law change deadline?
Hard to say why they had no record, but I doubt its because of bankruptcy filings.

If I still wanted to include Calvary how would I list them since I don't know what amount they may or may not have?
List them and mark it as 'unliquidated' because you don't know what the amount is.

I know dumb question but I do not list student loans under as secured loans correct?
Student loans are not secured debts.

will I still be granted new student loans even if I have a bankruptcy or will I be screwed
Student loans (other than private loans) are not score-based. As long as your current SL's are current it shouldn't be a big problem.

Gohurdler1

No long have old card or account #

Hello,

What if you had a store brand credit card from whirlpool financial and they were taken over by someone else. I was told its GE/Capital Solutions. I no longer have any records of the debt including the card itself. Would I list the old company without an account # (since I do not have it) as unliquidated and include the old parent company's address??

Thanks,
:eek:

Ladynred

The old parent company is gone and they sold off your debt long ago. I would just list Calvary as 'unliquidated' and just put 'unknown' under the account number field. If the Trustee asks, explain it.

Gohurdler1

Do I list both the Collection Agency and Old Debt holder?

Another stupid question.
Even if I have, let us say the credit card company name, address and account number but it has been sent off to collections, would I list both the credit card company and the collection agency or just the collection agency?

Thanks,

Ladynred

List them both. List the original creditor, then underneath that list the collection agency and put in ditto marks for the amount.

Gohurdler1

What if I dont have original Company info?

Hello:

What if I only have the collection agency's information and I don't have or know who the original credit card or company was. Can I then go ahead and just list the CA without the original company underneath?

Thanks,

Ladynred

Same as before, just list the CA, the OC isn't likely to have anything to do with really old debts anymore anyway.

Ladynred

WHAT unauthorized access ???

Collection is a permissable purpose and it doesn't matter that the debt is beyond the legal reporting period. Pasting a really old debt back ON a report would be illegal.

Being past the state's SOL for legal action to enforce collection of a debt has nothing to do with the reporting of a debt or inquiries.

Gohurdler1

BK line in Santa Ana, CA was a JOKE!!!

Hello All,

Well like many of you out there I to filed on Oct. 14, 2005. I was there from about 12 p.m. until about 6 p.m. Of course, there was a large crowd but there was no court official going out every hour or so to tell people that if they had a US Postal Service money order that they could look over your paper work and then accept it and you would be good to go. So it wasn’t until the last hour that I was there that a court official was going around telling people this. So I had to get into another line and when I asked for some sort of stamp or proof that I was there, the official was like no, no receipts stamps nothing. I was really disgusted by that. I wanted proof to show my employer that I was actually at court and one person was trying to do that but her supervisor put a stop to that. Then I had to pay $10 for a USPS envelope with a $3.00 something stamp on it so I could get a copy of the paperwork with a case number in the mail. Of course, I couldn’t run out to a Post Office to pick up an envelope and postage for far less because it was too late and they weren’t letting people into the courthouse because it was after 4 p.m. Still the line was a joke it’s like they weren’t expecting a flood of people.

Why did I file late? Well I didn’t have the money until Friday, the online program I was using was having issues, and it wouldn’t let me pay for the printouts before hand.

I also heard that court official tell someone who was bitching that it was the fault of those who decided to file late for the disorganization. What a jerk, sorry supervisor but you didn’t do your job in managing the situation.

Hope others had a better experience!
:mad:

Gohurdler1

Received phone Call from UNKNOWN Company.

Hello All,

I received a phone call from an unknown company/group etc. The person only gave their name, number and stated that they were awaiting a return call from me or my attorney, the caller then said "good luck." The call was from Ohio

I assume, whatever company that person represents received notice of my bankruptcy filing from the court.

Should I even return this call or just let the bankruptcy take its course and ignore all other similiar calls?

Thanks,
:confused:

quest42

If it were me, I'd call them back to politely ask who they are and why they called, and maybe give them my bankruptcy case number. Creditors are not allowed to call again if they know you have filed.

My 10/14/05 story:
Arrived at the court clerk's office before 9AM to file my emergency petition, and there were already about 20 people in line at the door in front of me. At 9:15AM I was greeted just inside the door and my documents were scanned in (the clerk returned my documents after a few minutes.) I waited another hour to pay the $209 fee in cash, got a receipt with my case number and my 341 date. Impressive, considering the workload that day! The process was handled efficiently. I was all done by 10:30AM and on my way... the line was HUGE at that time... at least 75 people, out the door and down the hallway. === A few days later, I checked PACER, and it said my Statement of SSN was NOT filed. (I had given it to the clerk doing the scanning, and noticed that she took it out of the pile and did not scan it... and returned it on top of the pile with a post-it with her initials on it. An hour later, the 2nd clerk who gave me my case number removed that post-it and took my docs...) === So, the next day, I brought it in and the clerk filed it, again... seven days later, I got a note in the mail that said it must be filed within FIVE days from the date on the letter or my case would be rejected -- a few days before I had received that notice! -- SO it would have been impossible to comply if I had not happened to read about PACER, and sign up, and check in... PACER saved my butt! Filed all my remaing schedules on 10/27, one day before the due date. :cool:

Last edited:

Mateo1041

ALSO how many other semi recent college graduates out there in the same boat?
I'm not necessarily in the same boat, but my wife and I did get screwed after college as neither of us could find a regular job until a year after we graduated. It is now three years later and we're still trying in vain to pay off our credit card debts from that one year.

It is just so frustrating.

Sorry to hear about your troubles. :-(

Ladynred

Give the number they left to your attorney and let the attorney handle it. Don't call them. If you filed for BK and they were notified, they are violating the automatic stay if they're trying to collect.

Gohurdler1

Mateo1041 said:
I'm not necessarily in the same boat, but my wife and I did get screwed after college as neither of us could find a regular job until a year after we graduated. It is now three years later and we're still trying in vain to pay off our credit card debts from that one year.

It is just so frustrating.

Sorry to hear about your troubles. :-(
Hello Mateo1041,

Yeah, my degree hasn't opened up many doors, so I need to go to graduate school. Hopefully a masters will open up more doors than my BA has. Yeah they don't tell you that your non business or non computer science degree isnt going to pay crap. So I assume that you and your wife did not file for bankruptcy?
:(

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">