• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unemployed and want to file Chapter 7 on my own

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Gohurdler1

Ladynred said:
Give the number they left to your attorney and let the attorney handle it. Don't call them. If you filed for BK and they were notified, they are violating the automatic stay if they're trying to collect.
Hello Ladynred,

I don't have an attorney so I have no idea why the message stated so. I actually did call back. The collection goon turned into a complete AHOLE as soon as I mentioned bankruptcy. He accused me of ripping off the dental card credit card company etc., and that you can't file bankruptcy without an attorney, so he kept asking me for my attorney. I told the AS* that you can file on your own, but as soon as I said I am going to record, the phone call he hung up.

So apparently telling these collectors that you are recording the call will scare the crap out of them or keep them in check. I guess they can’t make threats or insult you if they know you are recording them and can take them to court with proof of the threats.

I have no idea when the BK Court will send notification to the companies.

:confused:

Last edited:

quest42

Notices mailed out to creditors by the court...

Gohurdler1 said:
... I have no idea when the BK Court will send notification to the companies ...
My notices went out from the court to the creditors about one week after I filed (filed on 10/14... notices mailed about 10/21... I got mine about 10/25)

As of today (10/28) I got only one back so far -- undeliverable -- but I had shotgunned three different addresses for that creditor -- the one that USPS bounced came from an old credit report...

Curiously, I got one letter today from a creditor saying that they had "taken action" to change my credit limit to "zero dollars" haha :D

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">