• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unlawful Concealment NC

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Gesquivel

North Carolina - I was at Target and I was shopping as usual . One of the 1st things a grab was a perfume that was on sale, then I proceeded to food then clothing i tried on a jacket and had put mine on the cart . I checked out then went to the rest room the started to leave the store, i was stopped asked to show my receipt so I gave it to them did not think anything of it and they lifted up my jacket and there was the perfume ! I completed forgot to pay for it i felt so embarrassed and they took me to their office. They called they called the cops and they checked my background I have never been in trouble before except for minor traffic tickets , during the time on the office they stated to ask if I knew jose, miguel , pedro, hector ? mind you I am Hispanic and we do not all now each other I was being racial profiled I stayed quiet . They cop gave me a citation for Unlawful Concealment for the perfume now I have to go to court . I don't want this on my background for job purposes . I work 2 job because I am a single mom with 3 kids cant afford a attorney. I need advice .

Just Blue

North Carolina - I was at Target and I was shopping as usual . One of the 1st things a grab was a perfume that was on sale, then I proceeded to food then clothing i tried on a jacket and had put mine on the cart . I checked out then went to the rest room the started to leave the store, i was stopped asked to show my receipt so I gave it to them did not think anything of it and they lifted up my jacket and there was the perfume ! I completed forgot to pay for it i felt so embarrassed and they took me to their office. They called they called the cops and they checked my background I have never been in trouble before except for minor traffic tickets , during the time on the office they stated to ask if I knew jose, miguel , pedro, hector ? mind you I am Hispanic and we do not all now each other I was being racial profiled I stayed quiet . They cop gave me a citation for Unlawful Concealment for the perfume now I have to go to court . I don't want this on my background for job purposes . I work 2 job because I am a single mom with 3 kids cant afford a attorney. I need advice .
An attorney will be appointed if you qualify for it. Target has video of what you did in the store...if you are being truthful the video will back you up. If not the video will show it.

Drop the racial profiling bit. You were found with something hidden while trying to exit the store. Your race has nothing to do with your actions or their actions.

Gesquivel

An attorney will be appointed if you qualify for it. Target has video of what you did in the store...if you are being truthful the video will back you up. If not the video will show it.

Drop the racial profiling bit. You were found with something hidden while trying to exit the store. Your race has nothing to do with your actions or their actions.
Thank you for the help . How will I know if i qualify ?

Just Blue

Thank you for the help . How will I know if i qualify ?
Request a PD and if financially you qualify you will be appointed one. My *understanding* is you have to be pretty poor to qualify. Stick around here...there will be more qualified members than I to answer your questions.

quincy

Here is a link to the Unlawful Concealment law:
https://www.ncleg.net/EnactedLegislation/Statutes/HTML/BySection/Chapter_14/GS_14-72.1.html

You were charged with a Class 3 Misdemeanor and a conviction on this charge can impact your life in various ways. But, if this is a first offense, you might be able to avoid jail time by committing to 24 hours of community service.

Public defenders can be available to those facing jail time or a fine of $500 or more. Here is a link to the criteria:
https://www.ncleg.net/EnactedLegislation/Statutes/HTML/BySection/Chapter_7A/GS_7A-451.html

Good luck.

quincy

That's strong. On more than one occasion, I have purchased small totes and filled those totes with my items to be purchased when I get to the register. Because the totes are opaque, I would, technically, be violating the law in NC.
Yes, there have been articles written in North Carolina about the harshness of the law and the penalties.

In addition to the criminal charge, Gesquivel can face civil penalties of at least $150 up to $1000, for actual damages, punitive damages, and reimbursement.

North Carolina is not a state you want to shoplift in.

Just Blue

Yes, there have been articles written in North Carolina about the harshness of the law and the penalties.

In addition to the criminal charge, Gesquivel can face civil penalties of at least $150 up to $1000, for actual damages, punitive damages, and reimbursement.

North Carolina is not a state you want to shoplift in.
lol...So what state do you WANT to shoplift in? :sneaky:

quincy

lol...So what state do you WANT to shoplift in? :sneaky:
I think it legally best to not shoplift in any state but I definitely recommend avoiding North Carolina if you are prone to stashing things under your coat while you shop. :)

Just Blue

I think it legally best to not shoplift in any state but I definitely recommend avoiding North Carolina if you are prone to stashing things under your coat while you shop. :)
Damn! No free bacon for me in NC! What ever happened to southern hospitality? :cry:

quincy

It appears clear that Gesquivel will want an attorney. Stashing anything under one's coat when you have a shopping cart or shopping basket certainly gives rise to an assumption of unlawful concealment.

Just Blue

A true southerner would never hand you a slab of raw bacon. Hospitality demands that the bacon be prepared and served with a good whiskey ... or breakfast, if you are into that kind of thing.

TD
Everything is better with a good whiskey. EVERYTHING! ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">